Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Trailer

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Also, fuck superheroes, all they do is enforce the status quo. Name one superhero that has fought for universal healthcare, or against income inequality.
You mean like how Tony Stark, in the first Iron Man movie, tackled global weaponization by shutting down his military branch of his company, refusing to build any more WMD's? Or how in subsequent films, they remark (usually in offhand comments that can be easily overlooked) that he has repurposed Stark Industries to include disaster relief programs on a global scale, to help with cleanup from the various super-combat locations? Or how he has student enrichment programs in various schools, to try and fund STEM? It would be great to see superheroes do that kind of thing all the time. But it requires someone with a shitton of money/resources, so that excludes 99.9% of superheroes, or someone with massive political clout, or is the ruler of a country. Which again, removes almost all of them. President Hulk just isn't an interesting premise for a movie. Do you want to watch 2 hours of Hulk talking before congress where he presents his comprehensive bill for universal healthcare? Because that's what you are complaining about. And that's just fucking C-SPAN. And I'm sorry, but not even Hulk can make watching C-SPAN for 2 hours, a fun experience. But, watching President Hulk, just leaving the congressional floor, AFTER giving his universal healthcare speech, to be told by Nick Fury that "they have a situation....a....Code Green situation." And then they cut to the avengers assembling to go punch something, perhaps with quips about how Hulk looks good in a suit. THAT is the kind of thing that would make for a good 2 hour viewing experience.

Because movies about toppling companies due to unsexy things like healthcare, are legal dramas, and not action films. You don't solve universal healthcare and income inequality with a punch to the face. You solve "asshole about to do something that immediately blows up lots of people" by punching it in the face. And that is pretty much what action films, super hero versions or not, deal with.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You mean like how Tony Stark, in the first Iron Man movie, tackled global weaponization by shutting down his military branch of his company, refusing to build any more WMD's? Or how in subsequent films, they remark (usually in offhand comments that can be easily overlooked) that he has repurposed Stark Industries to include disaster relief programs on a global scale, to help with cleanup from the various super-combat locations? Or how he has student enrichment programs in various schools, to try and fund STEM? It would be great to see superheroes do that kind of thing all the time. But it requires someone with a shitton of money/resources, so that excludes 99.9% of superheroes, or someone with massive political clout, or is the ruler of a country. Which again, removes almost all of them. President Hulk just isn't an interesting premise for a movie. Do you want to watch 2 hours of Hulk talking before congress where he presents his comprehensive bill for universal healthcare? Because that's what you are complaining about. And that's just fucking C-SPAN. And I'm sorry, but not even Hulk can make watching C-SPAN for 2 hours, a fun experience. But, watching President Hulk, just leaving the congressional floor, AFTER giving his universal healthcare speech, to be told by Nick Fury that "they have a situation....a....Code Green situation." And then they cut to the avengers assembling to go punch something, perhaps with quips about how Hulk looks good in a suit. THAT is the kind of thing that would make for a good 2 hour viewing experience.

Because movies about toppling companies due to unsexy things like healthcare, are legal dramas, and not action films. You don't solve universal healthcare and income inequality with a punch to the face. You solve "asshole about to do something that immediately blows up lots of people" by punching it in the face. And that is pretty much what action films, super hero versions or not, deal with.
Again Tony Stark does not tackle income inequality, he uses the fable education will solve everything meme when it requires allot more. Also, name one legal drama where they fight for universal healthcare, it's ways putting people behind bars. And I am pretty sure Bruce Banner will a better job than Trump.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Again Tony Stark does not tackle income inequality, he uses the fable education will solve everything meme when it requires allot more. Also, name one legal drama where they fight for universal healthcare, it's ways putting people behind bars. And I am pretty sure Bruce Banner will a better job than Trump.
So income inequality ALONE, is the hill you are trying to die on for superhero motivations? Not just "ambient, abstract social causes that would improve the lives of everyone globally" ....income inequality alone. .....ok um, whatever. You do you I guess.

As to "name a legal movie where they fight for universal healthcare" I mean that doesn't exist in the US, so clearly it won't be a movie made, or based in the US. So your challenge is kind of stupid. Go find a movie from someone Not US for a reasonable chance of a court movie with that being the plot. Legal movies, by and large, are based on actual court cases, so there is ZERO CHANCE of a "and they fought for universal healthcare" legal film in the US.

And seeing as Bruce Banner is fictional....well ok I would still agree that he would do a better job than trump. A vacant office for 4 years would likely be better than trump. But seriously, this is a trailer thread about Magical Kung Fu Punchy Guy, not Current Events.

There is NO way that, the unique traits that make a superhero a superhero, would be at all relevant to "fight for healthcare" or "income inequality". You don't punch a comprehensive healthcare plan into law. So NONE of their unique set of skills will be of any use. They would, in fact, be terrible for the job, because nothing about their backstories would provide them with any insight on how to set something like that up, or try and sell it to the population. THEY PUNCH THINGS GOOD! THAT'S IT!

So unless they hide the "press this button to enact universal healthcare" button behind a gamma irradiated giant door, thus requiring President Hulk to HULK SMASSH....IN THE NAME OF UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE AND EQUALITY AMONG ALL MY CONSTIUENTS!!!! , it's a non-starter for a premise for a movie.

So, back on topic, Kung Fu Punchy Guy looks interesting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
So income inequality ALONE, is the hill you are trying to die on for superhero motivations? Not just "ambient, abstract social causes that would improve the lives of everyone globally" ....income inequality alone. .....ok um, whatever. You do you I guess.

As to "name a legal movie where they fight for universal healthcare" I mean that doesn't exist in the US, so clearly it won't be a movie made, or based in the US. So your challenge is kind of stupid. Go find a movie from someone Not US for a reasonable chance of a court movie with that being the plot. Legal movies, by and large, are based on actual court cases, so there is ZERO CHANCE of a "and they fought for universal healthcare" legal film in the US.

And seeing as Bruce Banner is fictional....well ok I would still agree that he would do a better job than trump. A vacant office for 4 years would likely be better than trump. But seriously, this is a trailer thread about Magical Kung Fu Punchy Guy, not Current Events.

There is NO way that, the unique traits that make a superhero a superhero, would be at all relevant to "fight for healthcare" or "income inequality". You don't punch a comprehensive healthcare plan into law. So NONE of their unique set of skills will be of any use. They would, in fact, be terrible for the job, because nothing about their backstories would provide them with any insight on how to set something like that up, or try and sell it to the population. THEY PUNCH THINGS GOOD! THAT'S IT!

So unless they hide the "press this button to enact universal healthcare" button behind a gamma irradiated giant door, thus requiring President Hulk to HULK SMASSH....IN THE NAME OF UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE AND EQUALITY AMONG ALL MY CONSTIUENTS!!!! , it's a non-starter for a premise for a movie.

So, back on topic, Kung Fu Punchy Guy looks interesting.
With his tech, he could literally create a post-scarcity civilization if he wanted to across the world.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Your best bet will be to look in the Indie comics scene for anything close to that. Both versions of Daredevil, the movie and Netflix series, magic combined courtroom lawyering and action seamlessly. Without going to overdramatic, aside from season 2 with the Punisher.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
With his tech, he could literally create a post-scarcity civilization if he wanted to across the world.
Didn't you JUST say that it's more complicated than just education? So which is it? Can he handwave the problems away with his money/tech/intelligence? Or is it a problem much bigger than any one superhero could address by themselves? And also not very interesting for a 2 hour punchy shooty bang bang movie?
But will I learn about teamwork from it?
Well I mean Awkwafina says "we make a great team!" at the end, so...yes?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think this looks fun. I will happily watch it when it comes to cinemas.
That's one thing I forgot to mention, doesn't look like this is coming to Disney+. I don't know how to feel about that. With the way things are going in my country, I have a bad feeling I won't be able to see this movie in theaters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's one thing I forgot to mention, doesn't look like this is coming to Disney+. I don't know how to feel about that. With the way things are going in my country, I have a bad feeling I won't be able to see this movie in theaters.
I have no need for Disney plus, but I understand and agree with you. Even with the shots, I probably won't be going to the theaters until Midway in next year. Even then, theater prices have gotten even more expensive now. So I had even less reasons to go to the theater now.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I have no need for Disney plus, but I understand and agree with you. Even with the shots, I probably won't be going to the theaters until Midway in next year. Even then, theater prices have gotten even more expensive now. So I had even less reasons to go to the theater now.

Actually its shocking how much mileage I'm getting out of Disney Plus. Especially since they launched Star for all the stuff I assume they got in the Fox merger. I've been binging M*A*S*H and Hill Street Blues - not what I'd typically expect to find on this service. So, its good for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Actually its shocking how much mileage I'm getting out of Disney Plus. Especially since they launched Star for all the stuff I assume they got in the Fox merger. I've been binging M*A*S*H and Hill Street Blues - not what I'd typically expect to find on this service. So, its good for me.
I'm glad it's working out for you. The only thing that has me interested in Disney plus is falcon in the winter soldier. That's pretty much it. A lot of the animated Disney movies I already have or I'm not interested in. The same applies for a lot of the MCU movies.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
They just really don't wanna show any worthwhile action scenes huh? Which is okay I guess, save them for the movie and all. But my anticipation for the movie is slowly droppping.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They just really don't wanna show any worthwhile action scenes huh? Which is okay I guess, save them for the movie and all. But my anticipation for the movie is slowly droppping.
Not me. I'm all the more excited for this. I'm glad they're hiding the good stuff. If they do a final trailer, I won't bother to watch that one. I've got all I needed from these two trailers. I'll be seeing this in September.

Reactions: bobdark

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I see we are continuing the Marvel problem of the main villain having the same powers as the hero. How original.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I see we are continuing the Marvel problem of the main villain having the same powers as the hero. How original.
That didn't stop Man Of Steel nor Aquaman from being awesome in my opinion. The whole mirror boss and evil counterpart theme work wonders for God Hand, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta. I don't like the overuse of cliches either, but honestly, it fits this movie. It would make sense that he would have a martial arts fighter at his exact skill level or higher.

I will only be pleased if awkwafina turns out to be the Mandarin.
Only in a hate fic.