Shape-Shifting Robot Blob Has Emerged From Your Nightmares

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Shape-Shifting Robot Blob Has Emerged From Your Nightmares

iRobot's flesh-like ChemBot will freak you out, but it also could save your life someday.

The ChemBot might look like something out of a bad dream, but it's actually a multimillion dollar military project. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the U.S. Army Research Office contracted iRobot [http://www.irobot.com/], creator of vacuum-robot Roomba, to design the soft, flexible, mechanical ooze last year. This video might be a little technical at first, but if you skip to the 2 minute mark you can see the results of iRobot's work thus far.

iRobot is not a company that just makes house cleaning robots. It has been providing military and civil defense forces with helpful robots for a while now, including the iRobot Warrior, a "large and rugged robot designed to carry 150-pound payloads", and the iRobot PackBot which has performed "thousands of dangerous search, reconnaissance and bomb-disposal missions" according to iRobot's website.

DARPA's main purpose for funding the ChemBot is to create something that can "traverse soft terrain and navigate through small openings, such as tiny wall cracks, during reconnaissance and search-and-rescue missions." The ChemBot should be able to do just that through a mechanism called "Jamming," which allows for the transition between solid-like and liquid-like states with only a small change in volume. The first half of this video explains how "Jamming" works.

The ChemBot feels like the first step towards the creation of actual human-like robots similar to Battlestar Galactica's new Cylons [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylon_(reimagining)]. The creepy part about the ChemBot is how it looks as if it's alive and breathing. Wars could probably be won just by rolling out a few dozen of these things in front of opposing forces to scare the bejeezus out of them. I definitely wouldn't want to touch one, they look all gross and sticky.

Source: Slashdot [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10375216-1.html]

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Wow. And we thought the robots of the future were shiny chrome tin men. How wrong we were.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Way to go iRobot, you created Liquid Metal and apparently haven't seen Terminator 2. Now a bike cop that looks like Robert Patrick is going to be the doom of us all.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
When i saw it inflate i thought that of making a smaller version that you could insert to someones chest to take place of a failed heart or assist a failing heart, or even help with the lungs.... Dont know how practical that would be, or possible for that matter, but it would be cool.

Also, the fleshy looking outside adds to the creepy factor by about 100 points o-o

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
That guy sure does love to say jamming.

And that thing looks like an egg sac that's about to explode. I would probably run away in fear if I saw one.

mrfft said:
That is awesome...also...it's the first sign of Skynet!
Sorry, but the hundreds of other people making that joke in every news post about robots beat you to it.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Alufear said:
Ahhh! AAAHHHHH!!

MY OPPAI BALLS ARE ALIVE!!
fixed - this is how the government is going to start keeping track of otaku!
but seriously, once they realize one with a finer slurry, higher tessellation and more fluid motor control, this is going to be both the most awesome and most fear robot of all. and I think it's safe to add robot beanbag to the ever growing list of Dr. Wily inspired creations

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
but seriously, once they realize one with a finer slurry, higher tessellation and more fluid motor control, this is going to be both the most awesome and most fear robot of all. and I think it's safe to add robot beanbag to the ever growing list of Dr. Wily inspired creations
Nah, Wily only makes cute, animal-themed robots.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Looked like sometihng out of a horror movie when it stealthily moves behind the computer monitor. Waiting there.. until you least expect it. Then it will pounce and ABSORB. YOUR. HEAD!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
300lb. Samoan said:
No that's Sigma. Wily makes robots based around a specific element or thematic material (with the exception of Centaur Man)

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Arrers said:
Gross. But not very threatening.
On the contrary, how could you bar your house against something that can squeeze through the tiny gaps??? 0_O

Ekonk said:
Wow. And we thought the robots of the future were shiny chrome tin men. How wrong we were.

Lol. It's true, imagine FLEXIBLE shiny men...... ew

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
300lb. Samoan said:
Whereas Dr. Robotnik makes ugly robots out of cute little animals. Odd, isn't it?

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
It looks like a big sweaty dumpling.

...I could really go for some Chinese food right now.