Shape-Shifting Robot Blob Has Emerged From Your Nightmares

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
did they have to call it the iRobot.. God i hate anythign with "i" infront of the name.
That's the name of the company. They're better known for the Roomba vacuuming robot...which you would've known had you read the news post carefully.

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
It's a multimillion dollar military project and all they could come up with for it's presentation is some cheap fancy-shmancy-artsy paper and pencil stop motion animation?

Anyway I like it. It's a nice change of tone from the cheap robot toys that try to play soccer or do sumo wrestling.

This concept could be quite handy when dealing with robotic muscle tissue.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I was watching the video with a "oh, that's pretty neat" look on my face, when it suddenly hits the point where it becomes too damn real, and I see it moving around, and I leap immediately into that "WHOA o_O What the heck?? It's...real??". Freaked me right out. A living, robotic membrane with autonomous movement? Scary thought, that.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
That's wayyy to creepy.I must say I don't like it, but it's a good step in the right direction in science.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That looks pretty cool, but there is no way I would want that crawling down my hallway at night or something. Creepy as hell.

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Nice.

Coolest thing in a while, and dont try to tell me i was the only one who tought something inappropriate.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
There was a movie where people were chased by giant plastic bubbles. These are those bubbles. I do not remember what the movie was called. Google has failed me.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
HOLY CRAP!

now i´m gonna have nightmares of that thing crawling up my bed sheets

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Tom Goldman said:
300lb. Samoan said:
fixed - this is how the government is going to start keeping track of otaku!
but seriously, once they realize one with a finer slurry, higher tessellation and more fluid motor control, this is going to be both the most awesome and most fear robot of all. and I think it's safe to add robot beanbag to the ever growing list of Dr. Wily inspired creations
Nah, Wily only makes cute, animal-themed robots.
No that's Sigma. Wily makes robots based around a specific element or thematic material (with the exception of Centaur Man)
Oh crap, you're right. But Wily must have created some robotic animals somewhere right?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
300lb. Samoan said:
fixed - this is how the government is going to start keeping track of otaku!
but seriously, once they realize one with a finer slurry, higher tessellation and more fluid motor control, this is going to be both the most awesome and most fear robot of all. and I think it's safe to add robot beanbag to the ever growing list of Dr. Wily inspired creations
Nah, Wily only makes cute, animal-themed robots.
Paint it blue, put spikes on it, and get it spinning at 1000rpm and it could be a hedgehog bot, would that count?

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Jedamethis said:
Strategia said:
It's cute, I want one :)
It'd be a great pet, just make it able to flop around with all the cables...
Nah, just rig it up with a remote control of some kind. Use it to freak out visitors. "Aww, looks like little Samwise likes you. Look, he's sitting right on your shoulder."

messy

Dec 3, 2008
GamerLuck said:
When i saw it inflate i thought that of making a smaller version that you could insert to someones chest to take place of a failed heart or assist a failing heart, or even help with the lungs.... Dont know how practical that would be, or possible for that matter, but it would be cool.

Also, the fleshy looking outside adds to the creepy factor by about 100 points o-o
or re-inflate closed arteries, i think they already do this with small balloons but they're not robotic and it'd minimise the human error

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
joystickjunki3 said:
It's a bit creepy. Instead of tapping phone lines, this'll be what they use to spy on citizens.
It'll be hard for this thing to be stealthy, what with the air compressor and solenoids valves all making a racket.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
CUnk said:
joystickjunki3 said:
It's a bit creepy. Instead of tapping phone lines, this'll be what they use to spy on citizens.
It'll be hard for this thing to be stealthy, what with the air compressor and solenoids valves all making a racket.
Right now, yes. But what about when the technology gets more advanced? Think about how loud cars used to be, or what computers used to be like. Technology will, for the most part, always gets smaller and quieter.