Share an interesting random fact

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
In the UK, it is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).

Then again, they do kick you out if you are disorderly.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually?from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint?it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Broady Brio said:
In the UK, it is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).

Then again, they do kick you out if you are disorderly.
Some states, like Texas, have very broad Public Intoxication laws. There you can get arrested for just drinking alcohol in a bar. No matter your age, no matter the amount. One sip is enough to get you arrested.

Source: http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/03/texas-racist-laws-drinking-while-brown

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
Cookiegerard said:
Ducks reproduce by rape.
I'll see your duck rape, and raise you bedbugs reproduce via rape, but the males don't actually penetrate the female's reproductive tract, they inject it directly into their blood through a random place on their carapace, if I recall correctly, this kills them females 1/3 of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination

Also, ducks have spiral/corkscrew penises... just say'n.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Mischa87 said:
Also, ducks have spiral/corkscrew penises... just say'n.
Speaking of which... Barnacles have the longest penis of all animals relative to their body size. If a barnacle would be as big as a human, his penis would be about 10 meters.

Rasmus Emilsson

Jun 22, 2010
Shanicus said:
believer258 said:
This

is a guy.
The sad thing is I knew this...

OP: Spider's operate on Hydrolic muscles, which gives them 'Spidy-Strength' - however this also limits their flexibility, so they can't scratch their own back (not the Thorax, the bit past that). Many Spider-related superheroes only take the super-strength - in reality, Spiderman wouldn't be able to do all those neat tricks and flips, as he couldn't move his arms that much.

The Newfound Blob (Sucks, I know) is a 200 Million light-year long cloud of Gas bubbles and galactic clusters that is apparently a chunk of Big-bang refuse. It is 12 Billion years old (according to how long the light from it took to reach us) so we don't really know where it is right now.

VY Canis Majoris is a Red Hypergiant star that is so big it's own light takes 8.5 hours to go around it. For a scale of how big it is against our Sun:

Let's hope it doesn't explode, as it's apparently 1.5 kiloparsecs from Earth (4.9 thousand lightyears).
VY Canis Majoris is that big because it's on the end of it's lifecycle, I.E a red hypergiant.

However, that a damn long way, we won't be affected by it.

OT: The reason why it's usually only hard to breathe through one of the nostrils when you have a cold is because of the nasal cycle, which means you only use one nostril a little all the time, and the other one alot, and then they switch.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
The Last Samurai is based on a true story, except that irl the officer played by Tom Cruise was FRENCH and part of the french army.

Samurai frenchmen, oh yeah ^^

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
In Massachusetts, it is illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder.

It is possible, and grammatically correct, to have "had" 11 times in a row in a sentence.

Example:

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

It makes more sense if you put quotes in:

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
snowfi6916 said:
In Massachusetts, it is illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder.

It is possible, and grammatically correct, to have "had" 11 times in a row in a sentence.

Example:

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

It makes more sense if you put quotes in:

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
And some more grammar...

A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of units that can be read the same way in either direction, with general allowances for adjustments to punctuation and word dividers.

Example: "A Santa lived as a devil at NASA"

Now try reading it backwards.

Longest palindrome word is in Finnish: saippuakuppinippukauppias (soap dish wholesale vendor)

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I saw an episode with Rachel Ray on 30 minute meals where she made New England Clam Chowder...

And she put red bell peppers in it.

As a New Englander, this is the height of heresy.

New England Clam Chowder is supposed to have:

clams
cream
potatoes
onions
bacon (maybe)

allmyrage.jpg

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Nocturnal Gentleman said:
The parasite cymothoa exigua kills the the tongue of its host and then replaces the organ by attaching itself to the stump. It's the only parasite that will replace an organ.

Damn your face.

I'm now looking up horrific parasites because while this is disturbing as fuck it's also interesting as fuck.

Goodbye food. Hello nightmares.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
mbug said:
darthotaku said:
somewhere in space, there is a massive cloud of alcohol the size of our solar system. you could make 400 trillion trillion pints of beer with it.
i call bs. i need proof of this one O.O
http://www.physorg.com/news63346824.html

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The planck epoch is the point one unit of planck time after the big bang when the universes diameter was one unit of planck length, and is the closest to the big bang we can understand without a unified theory of quantum gravity.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
[quote="Esotera" post="18.335368.13540452- If you lick your thumb and place your index finger on it, then very slowly remove it, you should see some very thin strands of saliva linked between the two. These are strands of DNA.

[/quote]There is not a single person who has read this and not tried it

OT: Pants were invented by sailors to quell the nature of the sea god, Poseidon who was angered by the sight of naked men