Share an interesting random fact

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Daverson said:
AFAIK, red was the original colour for the Santa suit. The green version was more popular in the US when Coca Cola started their marketing campaign though.

On a Santa suit colour related fact I can actually verify, in the USSR Stalin personally ordered their version of Santa ("Ded Moroz") should wear a blue suit, so he didn't get confused with the Capitalist Santa.
I wouldn't know. I am just stating what other people have said.

Wikipedia said:
Santa was historically depicted wearing a green cloak.
Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom?s depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company?s Christmas advertising in the 1930s.[8][33] The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand.[34] Historically, Coca-Cola was not the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image of Santa Claus in its advertising?White Rock Beverages had already used a red and white Santa to sell mineral water in 1915 and then in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923.[35][36][37] In fact, Santa Claus had already appeared in red and white on the cover of Puck magazine at the start of the century.[38]

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
The dutch santa saint nick will instead of give naughty kids coal Hit them with the front end of a broom used to clean chimneys
Or if they have been really bad kidnap them and take them to spain and either kill them or have them work for him until they die

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
uhohimdead said:
[The said:
Rock]
michiehoward said:
Octopuses have six arms and two legs.
The plural form of "Octopus" is "Octopi"
technically this isn't true...
Octopus is a word of Greek origin, not Latin. Therefore the correct plural form is OCTOPUSES.

even though both forms are generally accepted as correct

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/namegame/9174-Podi-Puss-Plural
Octopoi, if you were going with ancient Greek. But you don't hear people say that because it sounds silly.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
In every episode of Firefly, the beloved sci-fi show from Joss Whedon, there is a tiny toy of Han Solo frozen in carbonite hidden somewhere in the episode.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
4RM3D said:
Starke said:
Fusioncode9 said:
Santa Claus wasn't originally red and white. It was a marketing campaign by Coke, but it was so popular that everybody else just kind of ran with it.
So what were the original colors?
New fact: The most mentioned fact in this thread is that the colors of Santa Claus came from the Coca Cola ad campaign. Not only is this fact mentioned the most, it is also wrong. There was another campaign from another company, before Coca Cola started theirs. Coca Cola was just more popular.

Also, according to sources, the original Santa Claus was green.
Goddammit, I've been deceived!

I don't suppose you know what that company was, by any chance?

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Starke said:
4RM3D said:
Starke said:
Fusioncode9 said:
Santa Claus wasn't originally red and white. It was a marketing campaign by Coke, but it was so popular that everybody else just kind of ran with it.
So what were the original colors?
New fact: The most mentioned fact in this thread is that the colors of Santa Claus came from the Coca Cola ad campaign. Not only is this fact mentioned the most, it is also wrong. There was another campaign from another company, before Coca Cola started theirs. Coca Cola was just more popular.

Also, according to sources, the original Santa Claus was green.
Goddammit, I've been deceived!

I don't suppose you know what that company was, by any chance?
Someone else made a remark about it also, so I looked up the original post. Here you go:

Wikipedia said:
Santa was historically depicted wearing a green cloak.
Images of Santa Claus were further popularized through Haddon Sundblom's depiction of him for The Coca-Cola Company's Christmas advertising in the 1930s.[8][33] The popularity of the image spawned urban legends that Santa Claus was invented by The Coca-Cola Company or that Santa wears red and white because they are the colors used to promote the Coca-Cola brand.[34] Historically, Coca-Cola was not the first soft drink company to utilize the modern image of Santa Claus in its advertising-White Rock Beverages had already used a red and white Santa to sell mineral water in 1915 and then in advertisements for its ginger ale in 1923.[35][36][37] In fact, Santa Claus had already appeared in red and white on the cover of Puck magazine at the start of the century.[38]
---------------------------

Arqus_Zed said:
This:

Is an animal that actually exists.
It's a sea slug.
Ahhhh, it's so cute!

Now my turn:

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
Lilani said:
Theodore Roosevelt, as beloved a president as he is, was a flaming racist.
Theodore Roosevelt also supported eugenics:

"Society has no business to permit degenerates to reproduce their kind.... Some day we will realize that the prime duty, the inescapable duty of the good citizen of the right type is to leave his blood behind him in the world, and that we have no business to perpetuate citizens of the wrong type."

From http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ht/36.3/br_7.html

The last forcible sterilization in the USA was done in 1981 in Oregon.

urahara75

Aug 21, 2010
Arqus_Zed said:
This:

Is an animal that actually exists.
It's a sea slug.
My God, man... kill it with fire, before it's species rises up and kills &/or enslaves humanity! It give me "super-advanced-slien"/people puppet-vibes to the max. D:

On-topic:
Did you know the Parasite Eve 2 game was originally a mere tech demo to so show off Squaresoft's new rendering engine intended for upcoming Final Fantasy games?

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Krois said:
No random fact to add, but may I ask what's that sea slug called? Looks pretty.
From Wikipedia: Glaucus atlanticus (common names sea swallow, blue glaucus, blue sea slug and blue ocean slug). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagic_sea_slug. I think that thing looks adorable :)

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Nouw said:
Christmas is not Christian-specific.
usmarine4160 said:
It's impossible to lick your own elbow
*Snaps off elbow. "Hah!" *Licks elbow then proceeds to die from blood loss. On a more serious note, I can't believe that no one can do that. There are people with abnormal qualities but humanity has still failed to lick their below?
Don't even have to be abnormal. If you try and bend it and pull it back, its hard but some can do it. If you put your elbow straight and lay your arm against your chest almost anyone can do it.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Old Trailmix said:
If you squeeze your left thumb (in the same fashion as making a fist that would break your thumb if you hit someone) you will have no gag reflex.

Try it, but I warn you, you may feel strange doing it.
Oh god... I works...
That really is wierd.
OT:
Noone has ever seen a Ostrich bury its head in sand.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Arkvoodle said:
The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called aglets.

Their true purpose is sinister.
32 flavors... I knew it!
Also, on topic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
cue