Share some things that make you smile!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Let me qualify the following sentiment by saying I'm not making fun of Alzheimer's; it's a very serious illness, and also very sad to watch a loved one succumb to it. That said, living with such a person offers some really ridiculous conversations you can't help but laugh at. As I mentioned before, my girlfriend is watching her great aunt (Judy) a couple days a week, and while she's largely functional, her dementia is rapidly getting worse. Today I had the following conversation with her while watching NFL Network's coverage of the upcoming draft:

Judy: "When does football start?"
Me: "In August."
Judy: "That soon?"
Me: "Yep."

2 minutes later:

4 minutes later:

After having this exact same conversation, verbatim, no fewer than 10 times over the course of about a half hour, I couldn't help but smile. Bless her heart; she can't wait for football to start, she just won't remember when it does.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Let me qualify the following sentiment by saying I'm not making fun of Alzheimer's; it's a very serious illness, and also very sad to watch a loved one succumb to it. That said, living with such a person offers some really ridiculous conversations you can't help but laugh at. As I mentioned before, my girlfriend is watching her great aunt (Judy) a couple days a week, and while she's largely functional, her dementia is rapidly getting worse. Today I had the following conversation with her while watching NFL Network's coverage of the upcoming draft:
I have that with my mom, but instead of foot ball, its dr phil and about if her and my dad are going on a trip and how soon.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have that with my mom, but instead of foot ball, its dr phil and about if her and my dad are going on a trip and how soon.
I can sympathize and feel for your mother AND you. A couple weeks ago, Judy was taken into a rehab facility for physical therapy, and she panicked thinking her kids were putting her in a home, and started bawling. Her daughter finally got her calmed down, and she agreed to go willingly, then on the way, Judy asked "when is my mom coming to pick me up from this hotel?" Her mother's been dead for decades. And this wasn't the first time she referenced her mother in a "living" condition; the first was several weeks ago when she "learned" her mother had died, an started crying like it was the first she'd heard of it, extremely distressed that "no one had told her."

It's a terrible illness, but the absurdity of the constant repetition surrounding daily (if not moment to moment) conversations offers some, I dunno, bittersweet levity to those having to deal with someone suffering the condition. We finally changed the channel from NFL Network to stop the endless loop, and put it on a tennis match (she used to play) which started a new loop of how amazed she was that the player appeared to be switching between her left and right hand depending on which side of the court she was on. She wasn't; Judy failed to recognize the player's left-to-right backhand stroke involved BOTH hands (as they always do.) We corrected her once, and she understood, then 5 minutes later: "I can't believe she's able to switch between her right and left hand so fast like that!" We let it go.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can sympathize and feel for your mother AND you. A couple weeks ago, Judy was taken into a rehab facility for physical therapy, and she panicked thinking her kids were putting her in a home, and started bawling. Her daughter finally got her calmed down, and she agreed to go willingly, then on the way, Judy asked "when is my mom coming to pick me up from this hotel?" Her mother's been dead for decades. And this wasn't the first time she referenced her mother in a "living" condition; the first was several weeks ago when she "learned" her mother had died, an started crying like it was the first she'd heard of it, extremely distressed that "no one had told her."

It's a terrible illness, but the absurdity of the constant repetition surrounding daily (if not moment to moment) conversations offers some, I dunno, bittersweet levity to those having to deal with someone suffering the condition. We finally changed the channel from NFL Network to stop the endless loop, and put it on a tennis match (she used to play) which started a new loop of how amazed she was that the player appeared to be switching between her left and right hand depending on which side of the court she was on. She wasn't; Judy failed to recognize the player's left-to-right backhand stroke involved BOTH hands (as they always do.) We corrected her once, and she understood, then 5 minutes later: "I can't believe she's able to switch between her right and left hand so fast like that!" We let it go.
Yeah, I hope both my folks go out together or my mom goes before my dad since I have nightmares about having to lie to her about him being at the store since she doesn't remember he died and I can't go through her crying over it as if it just happened.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, I hope both my folks go out together or my mom goes before my dad since I have nightmares about having to lie to her about him being at the store since she doesn't remember he died and I can't go through her crying over it as if it just happened.
It sucks to have to even plan like that, bit I understand completely.

Reactions: Worgen

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This meme will go on longer than freezing Bernie Sanders:
1649206648999.png

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Not better, but they are a much cheaper and less cable heavy way to get good sound from a TV.
Less cable heavy and portable.
A buddy has a Sonos sound bar and subwoofer that sounds amazing but cost more than my 5.1.
Heck, the subwoofer cost near what my 5.1 cost!
1649246152402.png

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The cruel irony is Chopin’s house and piano he played as a child prodigy in Poland were also destroyed by Russians in 1863. They threw it out a second story window. Later, during WW2 the Nazi’s blew up a monument to him in attempts to break the spirit of the Poles. Makes it really easy to fucking hate people and stupid shitty governments sometimes.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

The cruel irony is Chopin’s house and piano he played as a child prodigy in Poland were also destroyed by Russians in 1863 when he was still alive. They threw it out a second story window. Later, during WW2 the Nazi’s blew up a monument to him in attempts to break the spirit of the Poles. Makes it really easy to fucking hate people and stupid shitty governments sometimes.
This makes me happy, angry and sad all at once.

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This makes me happy, angry and sad all at once.
Apparently he died fifteen years earlier. The comment that first mentioned it was mistaken about him being alive then, even though a war torn homeland was still what he last knew of it. Either way yeah, shitty times for such a talent.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Apparently he died fifteen years earlier. The comment that first mentioned it was mistaken about him being alive then, even though a war torn homeland was still what he last knew of it. Either way yeah, shitty times for such a talent.
I was talking about the video, such beauty being played despite the senseless destruction not only in the country around her, but in her own home! I hope all of Ukraine is capable of this kind of resilience. I also hope Putin and his lackeys take a scud missile up the tailpipe, one good one to end all of this.