Share some things that make you smile!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've been told that, myself. Though, if you hate your jobs, why not give it a go? Maybe it won't be a big career, but if you do a little bit, you've got an interesting life story if nothing else.
That's where I'm at; see the Complaint thread as recently as today for details. I'd love little more than to abandon my job and coast on my ostensibly golden pipes, but I'm too much a realist to believe it's anywhere close to viable. I'd be happy with an outright rejection [probable] or a supplemental source of income [improbable] that would allow me to stretch outside my comfort zone. We'll see, I guess.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Went to the pharmacist to pick up a prescription for my gf, and when I gave the young woman the info she required, she said "please tell me you work in radio." I was very confused until she clarified that she felt my voice is very deep and soothing. An older gentleman behind her immediately agreed I had a "radio" voice. I've gotten enough comments that my voice is deep, but never any that I had "radio quality." She even went so far as to get on her phone and write down a website that takes on voice performers to read audio books, advertisements, and whatnot. I was flattered in the moment, but then recalled upon reflection that I hate my current job (most recently even more so,) and would love a new venture that requires naught but my given "talents."

It won't go anywhere, I'm sure, but it did make me smile. Came home and told the gf about it, and she said "hell yeah, you're voice is like butter!" which gave me another nudge to maybe try something new. I'm still in the flattered stage, and not expecting much of anything, but if I can get a gig reading dime-store novels for lonely housewives and their yearning naughty bits, it'd honestly be more rewarding than my current gig pulling data for a tenuous supply chain that celebrates "close enough" as a win.
I make ridiculously little money. But every day, I go to work with impatience, all giddy about what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and above all with whom I am doing it. This is the major part of life, quantitatively. Sometimes I feel coworkers spend more time, share more things, than they do with their life partners. There is no way I would finance the "rest" of life through spending all that amount of time doing boring stuff with boring people. My privilege in life is going to work (to both of them, actually) each day with the mindset of going to a party.

It's life. It's too much life. Nothing compensates for the waste of that daytime if that daytime is wasted. No golden coffin makes up for it. None of the exhausted evening hours, the frustrated, irritated, emotionally unavailable end of days after grinding hours in hostile or disliked or meaningless workplaces justify it. Happiness is to be sought and found in the lived hours of the lived days, minute by minute.

Don't underestimate pleasure and meaning. Don't normalize it being stolen throughout the day. It's the most absurd heist of our civilization.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I make ridiculously little money. But every day, I go to work with impatience, all giddy about what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and above all with whom I am doing it. This is the major part of life, quantitatively. Sometimes I feel coworkers spend more time, share more things, than they do with their life partners. There is no way I would finance the "rest" of life through spending all that amount of time doing boring stuff with boring people. My privilege in life is going to work (to both of them, actually) each day with the mindset of going to a party.

It's life. It's too much life. Nothing compensates for the waste of that daytime if that daytime is wasted. No golden coffin makes up for it. None of the exhausted evening hours, the frustrated, irritated, emotionally unavailable end of days after grinding hours in hostile or disliked or meaningless workplaces justify it. Happiness is to be sought and found in the lived hours of the lived days, minute by minute.

Don't underestimate pleasure and meaning. Don't normalize it being stolen throughout the day. It's the most absurd heist of our civilization.
Those are very romantic (and very fundamentally true) sentiments. Reality, on the other hand, living in capitalist America, mandates that happiness is the goal after drive and prolonged periods of misery on your way to your goals. As it stands, I'm okay with simply maintaining a personal standard of living, and unfortunately, that requires I do my unfulfilling job probably until I die.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Went to the pharmacist to pick up a prescription for my gf, and when I gave the young woman the info she required, she said "please tell me you work in radio." I was very confused until she clarified that she felt my voice is very deep and soothing. An older gentleman behind her immediately agreed I had a "radio" voice. I've gotten enough comments that my voice is deep, but never any that I had "radio quality." She even went so far as to get on her phone and write down a website that takes on voice performers to read audio books, advertisements, and whatnot. I was flattered in the moment, but then recalled upon reflection that I hate my current job (most recently even more so,) and would love a new venture that requires naught but my given "talents."

It won't go anywhere, I'm sure, but it did make me smile. Came home and told the gf about it, and she said "hell yeah, you're voice is like butter!" which gave me another nudge to maybe try something new. I'm still in the flattered stage, and not expecting much of anything, but if I can get a gig reading dime-store novels for lonely housewives and their yearning naughty bits, it'd honestly be more rewarding than my current gig pulling data for a tenuous supply chain that celebrates "close enough" as a win.

Dude, it’s a sign. “There is no fate but what we m…” well you get the idea. Don’t waste the chance to see where it might lead!

Anyways,

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Was on my daily walk today when I ran into a couple of neighbors and their dog coming the other way, doing the same. Their pup knows me and loves to get her belly scratched (and as much attention as she can sponge up) so she was VERY happy to see me coming the other way. She got so excited, that she attempted to hide behind the pole for the corner stop sign in order to ambush me. Even if she weren't a medium-sized dog far wider than the signpost, both her extreme butt-wagging and her impatience conspired against her ambush plan.

Good puppers just make me smile.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Our new kitty is officially acclimated to the house. He's got the run of most of it, but we keep the spare bedroom and master bedroom doors closed because there are too many places to hide, and if we lose him, he'll die or something according to my gf the "cat whisperer." He went from hiding 90% of the time, to laying in ambush to murder our feet whenever we walk by. He also slept with us... eventually, after spending the first 10 minutes crawling on our heads and attacking our feet through the covers. Also, he's found a fondness for jumping on my piano, a trick he manages by jumping onto an ottoman, then my piano bench, then the top of the piano where his curiosity about some very sentimental wine bottles led me to remove them and put them elsewhere. I never thought something that weighed less than 2lbs could be so potentially destructive.

I'm trying to soak in the adorable "kitten" phase before he grows into a full-blown cat at which point I will no longer use his name and will refer to him only as "stupid cat" (extra emphasis on the hard "C" and a distinctly enunciated "T" so it sounds like the curse word I intend it to be.)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, this thread could go some places now. Though "Things that make you smile" might still be a good title.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
He's got the run of most of it, but we keep the spare bedroom and master bedroom doors closed because there are too many places to hide, and if we lose him, he'll die or something according to my gf the "cat whisperer."
She's being overprotective. So long as there's no places that he can get stuck inside and nothing harmful for him to swallow or get tangled up in/strangled by, he'll be fine. Though as kittens are going to claw at and chew on things, it might be best to keep him out anyway if there's things you don't want damaged.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Our new kitty is officially acclimated to the house. He's got the run of most of it, but we keep the spare bedroom and master bedroom doors closed because there are too many places to hide, and if we lose him, he'll die or something according to my gf the "cat whisperer." He went from hiding 90% of the time, to laying in ambush to murder our feet whenever we walk by. He also slept with us... eventually, after spending the first 10 minutes crawling on our heads and attacking our feet through the covers. Also, he's found a fondness for jumping on my piano, a trick he manages by jumping onto an ottoman, then my piano bench, then the top of the piano where his curiosity about some very sentimental wine bottles led me to remove them and put them elsewhere. I never thought something that weighed less than 2lbs could be so potentially destructive.

I'm trying to soak in the adorable "kitten" phase before he grows into a full-blown cat at which point I will no longer use his name and will refer to him only as "stupid cat" (extra emphasis on the hard "C" and a distinctly enunciated "T" so it sounds like the curse word I intend it to be.)
If you don’t have one check out getting a cat condo or at least something like this, claw clippers and a catnip toy. Also might be worth looking at a sifting litter box designed for cedar pellets as an alternative to tracking the grainy shit around the house. It took our adult cat a while to accept the change and it was a gradual process but now it’s much better.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
She's being overprotective. So long as there's no places that he can get stuck inside and nothing harmful for him to swallow or get tangled up in/strangled by, he'll be fine. Though as kittens are going to claw at and chew on things, it might be best to keep him out anyway if there's things you don't want damaged.
She's actually being quite prudent; there's plenty of stuff this kitty could get tangled up in and/or strangled by in our closets, and as much stuff we'd rather not have him chewing on or clawing at during this kitten phase. So far, no damage has been done, thought he did jump on the media center last night while we were watching a movie, and proceeded to knock a picture down when a loud part startled him.

If you don’t have one check out getting a cat condo or at least something like this, claw clippers and a catnip toy. Also might be worth looking at a sifting litter box designed for cedar pellets as an alternative to tracking the grainy shit around the house. It took our adult cat a while to accept the change and it was a gradual process but now it’s much better.
Already on it; listed it in the "what have you purchased recently thread." I bought a cat tower that should be here today, and the sooner the better. And he has several catnip toys as well as a scratch box we sprinkle catnip into.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker