Share some things that make you smile!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Honestly, the stuff we did as kids was nothing compared to the crap we pulled as teenagers, what with enforcement against selling alcohol to minors still being really lax back then, so getting your hands on hard liquor was ridiculously easy. Like one time we wanted to make a campfire. So we "borrowed" some firewood from behind the local scout chapter's club house.

It ended up near burned to the ground.

Wasn't just some small wooden shack either, but a brick & mortal one story building with plumbing and electricity and everything. Fire department had to call in reinforcements from the town over cuz the fire was threatening to spread to a nearby patch of trees that was in turn close to a forest. Police investigated and such, tho none of us got caught.
Yeah, the number of idiotic and illegal things I did as a kid/teenager.....I am quite lucky I'm alive and also don't have a record. So I try and be very forgiving when I see movies/tv shows depicting teenagers as doing stupid things. Because I just keep saying "....yeah that's dumb sure but...I mean I did WAY dumber shit at her age so...I can't really give her too much shit for making that bad call."

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Yeah, the number of idiotic and illegal things I did as a kid/teenager.....I am quite lucky I'm alive and also don't have a record. So I try and be very forgiving when I see movies/tv shows depicting teenagers as doing stupid things. Because I just keep saying "....yeah that's dumb sure but...I mean I did WAY dumber shit at her age so...I can't really give her too much shit for making that bad call."
Yea, The last time I lived at my parents home I was 14. I had my own apartment ( with a cosigner of course) at 15. It was like all the crazy things that happen in college but worse because most were younger.. to make it worse my 17 yr old friend was made the manager of multiple pool halls because he looked like he was 35 while being senior in High school , and the owner of them was all messed up binging on drugs and alcohol while going through a divorce so he never even bothered to check his ID when he hired him or promoted him. My friend pretty much looked like the undertaker when he looked like this:

He was a giant with long hair a full beard and tattoos. People thought he was headed for the NFL when he was playing football, but he was really just a gentle giant. He actually quit after he hit a kid so hard he was put in the hospital and wouldn't play football ever again, because he was worried he would kill someone and didn;t want to hurt anyone. So he was managing 2 or 3 poolhalls I think at the time and would bring me free beer kegs and be my doorman at after hour parties and charge a cover so I could make rent while still going to school. He was actually who taught me how to bartend as he had me tend bar up there underage when I really needed the money and he had someone no show. Was funny as hell tbh. But when people wonder what kids that age are up to, they likely didn't think that would be happening.

Reactions: happyninja42

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ikr, when people complain "about kids these days", all I can think about was how we were massive shits vandalizing everything we got our hands on when shitfaced (and sometimes when we weren't)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ikr, when people complain "about kids these days", all I can think about was how we were massive shits vandalizing everything we got our hands on when shitfaced (and sometimes when we weren't)
Yeah, every generation's youth had shitheads doing shitty things. You think parents back in the 20's weren't bitching about their damn kids and all their flapping (the dance) and wearing dresses that showed off leg!?! Scandlous!! I mean, I've been replaying Fallout 4 lately, and one of the songs is "Anything Goes", which is basically "Old man yells at cloud" about the "youth of today" being out of control and rebellious. And that song was produced in 1934. So...yeah, it's nothing new, it's just a new flavor of stupid behavior. I still think it's valid to try and warn kids away from stupid behavior, but trying to do it as some "holier than thou" is just the height of arrogance to me. I've had WAY more success with my god daughters going the "look, I did shit like that too. I'm technically an international drug smuggler, because I bought pot in Jamaica, and brought it through customs" (pre-9/11, so WAY easier to do), "and I really enjoyed recreational pot smoking. But there are risks and consequences for doing it, that I'm still paying for. So think REALLY hard before you decide you want to try out drugs as a kid. I'm not just chastising you, I'm telling you, as someone who DID THAT, this is what might happen."

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

TLDR: Ayn Rand-loving dumbasses in New Hamphire tried their hand at creating a Rapture style libertarian utopia. Got overrun by bears. Or summed up in one image.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I've been playing Fallout 4 lately, and I've been looting like crazy, enjoying my scavenging, but I keep coming across a particular loot item, that has revealed something about my brain.

The spatula. Every...single...TIME...I see it, I think this:

Anyone else? Whenever you see the word spatula, or actually see a spatula IRL, just, immediately say "Spatula City!!" and think this bit?

Admit it, you do.

Reactions: gorfias

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I find this type of comment especially funny in a post-Souls game environment. Because it seems like how the various creatures you keep trying to kill are thinking about you. "Oh for fuck's sake!! I've killed this naked dude with a terrible face, who seems to dive roll constantly what, 60 times today!!! Why won't he stay down!! Fuck this game!! I call hacks!!"