Share some things that make you smile!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This might be one of my new favorite jokes. It's anti-joke meets shaggy dog story, and her inability to stop laughing to tell it makes it even funnier.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Went to city hall yesterday to sign the legal cohabitation papers. Didn't even take that long. In and out in 10 mins tops. Huzzah for tax bennies, just like our married friends. Kinda. I mean, not now, next tax season. But, you know, it's something.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Went to city hall yesterday to sign the legal cohabitation papers. Didn't even take that long. In and out in 10 mins tops. Huzzah for tax bennies, just like our married friends. Kinda. I mean, not now, next tax season. But, you know, it's something.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Y'all don't have something similar in Eagleland? If not, the bennies aren't as good as marriage, but being in an intimate relationship is not a requirement. On the other hand, little downsides if shit turns sideways. And it's super easy, barely an inconvenience. So if that dude doesn't mind moving to a different continent, I'd bet he'd find someone willing. Not me, obvs.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Y'all don't have something similar in Eagleland? If not, the bennies aren't as good as marriage, but being in an intimate relationship is not a requirement. On the other hand, little downsides if shit turns sideways. And it's super easy, barely an inconvenience. So if that dude doesn't mind moving to a different continent, I'd bet he'd find someone willing. Not me, obvs.
We have something called common law marriages (which is kinda what your new situation sounds similar to; congrats, btw.) Not sure what it all entails, but I've heard it weaponized when common law couple threaten to split, like you might be able to go for compensation or legally divide shared property.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Weaponized. Hmmm. Ominous.
As in I've heard tell of unmarried couples living together, their situation automatically becomes common law after a few years, then the guy says he's leaving, and the woman threatening to go after him for "half of everything" through the same channels as a divorce in a full-on marriage. Not sure how true that is, but also too lazy to read through the legal jargon to clarify. I've found that owning as little as possible and living paycheck to paycheck dilutes the threat of a common law divorce from my girlfriend should she ever wanna try anything funny...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
As in I've heard tell of unmarried couples living together, their situation automatically becomes common law after a few years, then the guy says he's leaving, and the woman threatening to go after him for "half of everything" through the same channels as a divorce in a full-on marriage. Not sure how true that is, but also too lazy to read through the legal jargon to clarify. I've found that owning as little as possible and living paycheck to paycheck dilutes the threat of a common law divorce from my girlfriend should she ever wanna try anything funny...
Yeh, that sounds pretty much just marriage, but without the ceremony. Our thing works diffently. Our property and income remains our own. Should we break up, neither has a right to the other's property. My stuff is mine, hers is hers, and for jointly purchased stuff it more or less comes down to whose name is on the deed/receit/whatever. We are however each obligated to contribute at least 1/3 to household expenses, are liable for each others debts, and we would inherit from each other, should one of us pass. We also can't arbitrarily kick each other out of the house. And we can file a joint tax return like married couples and are entitled to most of the same fiscal benefits.

It's a little more complicated in practice, but that's about the gist of it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I searched the Wickes website for a fence post, but I typo'd and wrote fance post, which just looks like a hilariously silly word to me. It's so cold this morning I think my brain has shrunk.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Do you enjoy 11ft8 Bridge? Then you'll probably also like Rufford Ford.

I think I like the ford a little better cuz it has that "kids pointing and laughing at you" edge.
I searched the Wickes website for a fence post, but I typo'd and wrote fance post, which just looks like a hilariously silly word to me. It's so cold this morning I think my brain has shrunk.
Don't leave us in suspense now, did you get a hit?