Share your stories of shitty professors/teachers

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
My classical mechanics teacher was such a nuisance. At the beginning of the semester, the class seemed okay because the math was tagging right along with the differential equations class I had going on at the same semester. But after the third week or so, his attitude become more pompous and irritating towards students. He interrupted people when they were writing down on the board their answer for their homework. He was demoralizing, irritating, and downright crass. And the material started to get worse as the math behind classical mechanics was deviating from that of differential equations.
I was able to get an A or a B in that class though, only because I got some good extra credit for doing problems on the board. Oh yeah, and before you think he's not so terrible, he had homework due on the same day AS THE FINAL EXAM! He sets the record for the worst teacher I've ever had.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Communist partisan said:
Every fucking one, I don't like school and never will, haha.
There's probably a place for you in the entertainment industry, more specifically reality television.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i had a 1st year teacher for science (all 3, physics, biology and chemistry) who everyone hated. her class cheered when told when was quitting at the end of this year. she hated me. i have borderline ADD (i say borderline because i have the signs but undiagnosed), and she'd give us overnight homework, and get on at me specifically when i, and most of the class, hadnt done it. she would even specifically ask me if i'd "actually done it this time?" she made me so bad i'd phase out totally. she is the reason i havent taken any sciences since then.
since i was in nursery i have wanted to be a doctor.
i am now utterly fucked.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
AnAngryMoose said:
I had an Irish teacher who could barely speak any Irish. She would give us an exercise to do and then just read a book for the class. If anyone asked her to translate a particular word she'd tell them she didn't know and to just ignore it.
i had one of them for english in first year.
and apparently:
she went away last year(yes) for rehab(maybe).
she has rum in her desk.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
One day, a lecturer (professor) didn't turn up for an hour (of only a two hour session), so everyone in the class left. As I was walking down a street to drive home, I saw him in the pub, pint in hand...I drove for 40 minutes for that session. Needless to say, I was NOT happy.

Some of my lecturers have been good at uni, but most of them have been rubbish. They'll just talk at you with information they got from Wikipedia (yes, I have googled a sentence of notes and Wiki was the first page, verbatim). I do most of my learning at home, I very rarely learn anything valuable actually at university. And I'm paying over £3,000? When they aren't doing their jobs, or turning up? It's disgusting.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
kurupt87 said:
In my personal experience Biology teachers were the biggest whingers. Through GCSE, A level and re-doing my A level, Biology teachers were the worst. It was like trying to deal with a child.
I have had the exact same experience through my A levels, oddly.

I had one who would constantly um and er mid sentance. It was VERY distracting. I once tallied the number of times he did in one hour and after tallying 100 I gave up.

I can't put my finger on why, but my current physics teacher is just... bad. What she teaches just doesn't seem to sink in with anyone.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
A supply teacher I had once was an absolute classic to mess with.

He didn't even tell us his name, and all he said for most of the lesson was "Do your work." and I'm not even sure he knew what we were supposed to be doing.

One girl asked him for a pen so he told her to stand in the corner and face the wall. This was in secondary school. I wish I was making this up, honestly. She was always prone to burst out laughing at the smallest thing and, of course, she started laughing at what he'd said and this really got him annoyed. All he did was up the volume of what he was saying though and, reluctantly, she ended up going over to the corner almost having a fit from laughter.

Obviously we didn't really think he'd justified why he told her to do that so we argued with him for a good section of the lesson and because of this, when the bell rang for the end of the day he wouldn't let us leave and locked the main door...

When he went into the storage cupboard to fetch something we locked him in by wedging a few tables against the door handle and left through the fire exit.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
PettingZOOPONY said:
How about we come up with some shitty student stories.
I'm inclined to agree with this; dealing with 25 sniveling brats every day who expect you to do tons of stuff for them can get kind of annoying.

yo mato

Mar 18, 2011
i´m an architecture student, and a coupla years back I spent a whole night building a model. The next day I had to explain it in front of my workshop teacher, and in the middle of a totally inspired speech from me, I begin to notice he´s not paying any attention at all and instead he begins to pick his nose as if he were looking for gold inside the damn thing. By the time I finish talking, he looks at me turning the snot out of his nose into a ball with his fingers, and trows it at my model.

unbelievable!!

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
A teacher told me that I should definitely go on Anti-Depressants. Because I'd been missing school. She didn't even teach me. Nor no why I was away from school.

Cheers.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
gphjr14 said:
Communist partisan said:
There's probably a place for you in the entertainment industry, more specifically reality television.
Then he would at least make connections with rich people and make loads of money from spinoff's, retarded magazines and pointless newpapers without having to get into 50G worth of debt

... Of course anyone with eyes can see that if you know the right person, qualifications are irrelevant

Jun 11, 2009
gphjr14 said:
Communist partisan said:
That made me laugh.

My story is about a teacher who is a really nice guy (he would bring in Rock Band 2 the days before long weekends and such), but could not teach worth shit. It didn't help that he somehow got a job teaching math, which is a subject that has probably the most strict requirements for being able to teach worth shit.

I will put it this way: a person who dropped out of high school to tour with his band, whose wife let him marry her because he said he would hyphenate his last name and who does not know how the fuck to teach a highly structured class like math probably won't make the best math teacher.

It's a wonder I passed that class with a 71 (my mark going in was 79 and my average was 81.5).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Its not that they were bad professors (mainly cause I always passed my classes, so none ever truly failed me, and the separation between student/professor's fault is a thin and often blurred line), but I had one in nineth grade who said something and I immediately know the year would be bad.

Before I start the story, I should mention a small part on the way my school runs. If you finish your work, you get a teacher to sign a pass, and the students then get free run of the school as long as tehy dont disrupt other classes and show up by their next class to start. So you could leave, go get something to eat and come back and eat it, sittng in the hallway.

However if you were late and caught in the halls (or left and didnt have your pass), you got a few hours of after school (the least being 45 mins, the most being 6 hours) detention. Yeah, it sucks but it was fair when you considered that it was an incentive for students to do well.

Now this professor (yes, he was an actual professor, but claimed no college in the country wanted him), he had a habit of closing the door, and if you were late, you werent allowed in. if you went to let a student in, he wrote you up for disrupting the class, and gave you a double detention.

We also had a kid (well, more then one, but tis one was in my class that year with that teacher) who was paralyzed from the waist down.

So one day, early on in the school year, the kid in the wheel chair was late. The professor had locked the door and the kid was knocking on the door. So I raised my hand and explained the kid's situation, and most teachers gave the disabled/handicapped/physically-challenged kids a break if they where a few minutes late. The professor then said, and I quote, cause I'll never forget it:
I dont care if he's in a wheelchair, thats no excuse for tardiness. My job is to teach the students in the class when it starts. Now I have twenty-eight students here, and all of them are all healthy. I will not disrupt my schedule longer for the one broken child in this school. If he doesnt like it, then tell him to either make his legs work or get stronger and push his chair faster.

... yeah. He didnt last very long at the school.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Well my band teacher/director goes on these rants when I just want to play. One time he flat out said "we can't just talk about it, we have to do it!" (referring to fixing something) and then we talked about how to make the band program better for a solid 20 minutes. The next competition we were like 3 points from a gold rating, and I can't help but wonder if the extra time put into practice could've pushed us over the edge for that. *sigh*

Oh, and then there's my english teacher who gave 0s to anyone with a research paper intro with a grammatical error, without saying he was doing so (this wouldn't be so bad if they actually taught grammar in english). However, if you could fix it before the end of the marking period, then you would get your 20 points back for the intro. So I slave over this thing to find a grammatical error. The problem? I forgot to double-space it. I eventually figured this out and got my 20 points, but I was utterly pissed because THAT'S NOT GRAMMAR. A mistake, but NOT A GODDAMN GRAMMATICAL MISTAKE.

Oh, and I actually love my chem teacher, but the first test of the year I got a 90, but because of math mistakes he made it was initially put in as a 78. Oops.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I'm at the University of Manitoba... I think that's story enough.

But probably my worst prof was my ethics prof last semester. What's probably the number-one most important aspect of a person trying to teach ethics? Probably not having an overly-biased opinion and only telling people your opinion on things! This man was an absolute lunatic.

For one example (out of many, many examples), we were on the topic of genetic engineering and manipulating genes to remove deficiencies from our bodies at birth and changing our genes to become ideal people. He started talking about how men like smaller women because men are the superior gender and all women are supposed to look up to men both literally and metaphorically.

This is also a guy who spent almost a whole class telling us that eating meat is unethical.

And even in the very first class he used an example about how he kills every student that walks into his office to ask him a question.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
My high school Physical Science teacher was a piece of fucking work. Her offenses were many.

To start with, she would only let us work on our assignments in class. I asked her if I could take a project home to work on it over the weekend, and she refused on the grounds that it would be "unfair to the other students". My willingness to do extra work was somehow preventing my classmates from completing their assignments, I guess. Way to maintain a standard of mediocrity.

At one point, she made an infantile masturbation joke at my expense because I was facing away from her while she was lecturing. Half the chairs in the room faced away from the whiteboard, so in order not to put all my school supplies in my lap I had to face the other way. This won her many points with certain less mature and mentally developed students, but made her look like a massive ***** to everyone else.

On another occasion, I had written a one-page paper on the "back" of a sheet of notebook paper, so that the holes were on the right side (this was because I'm left-handed and it's extremely uncomfortable to write on the right side of a binder with the metal loops under my hand). She gave me a zero on the assignment for this reason. I explained why I'd written on the left side, and she responded with "You're in high school now, you really should have outgrown habits like that." Apparently being a lefty is a self-destructive habit that should be eliminated as soon as possible.

What an ass.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
My first years statstics teacher was horrible. Not in a "I didn't like him and wanna whine way", but in a "didn't know what the hell he was talking about" way. He would frequently make mistakes and have to tell us to scrap the last 15 minutes of notes or stop mid-explanation and wonder aloud:"What am I talking about?" and then go through his notes and powerpoint to figure out what he's supposed to be teaching us.

As time went on, people stopped showing up to his classes, because you were better off just reading the chapter at home. I went to the last class and was one of only 7 who bothered going. That's 7 out of a class of about 430.

AlphonseRomano

Aug 5, 2010
We had one lecturer who only lasted for one semester (unfortunately, it was the one that included me) who in the "Media and Communications Theory" module of the course started one week with a rant about how communism was the last great evil. Now I'm not going to argue either way on that one, I really don't care. Her referencing for this fact was where I had a problem. She had this opinion because it was her opinion. She 'backed it up' by trying to explain communism to the class - without actually knowing anything about it. She then asked all of us about our thoughts and was told, by the mature aged Serbian Student (whoops) that she didn't know what she was talking about. He then explained it to her in words of less than three syllables -she still didn't get it.

Her other trick was that when you didn't understand what she had tried to explain, she would repeat it word for word and then berate you for not getting it the second time.

The killer though was in the presentation that was the final assessment. One student had literally copied the wikipedia article on his topic. We all opened it up and read it aloud with him as he went along. She gave him bonus marks for managing to organise such a brilliant demonstration of the theory.

It's little things like that that keep me interested in medieval torture.

mew1234321

Oct 15, 2009
Back in primary school, (our equivalent of your equivalent of Elementary or Grade school) I had a teacher who... I can barely understand what was happening with her. She replaced our old, cool language teacher, and ended up having everyone hate her. At one point, she reduced a child to tears because she wouldn't let him go to the bathroom.

Kid damn near pissed himself too.