Shatner Does Palin

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Saskwach said:
I think the line between philosophical ideas and cultural values blurs a bit over time though. An idea begins as simply that, but if taken up it can morph into a thing that I would say is more cultural than philosophical - it's bone-deep, no longer intellectual.
I'd agree with that--I'd say that it's not so much a matter of demographics as it is making sure the West isn't swamped so that those values disappear. In which case, Anglo-Saxons...are part of the problem from both ends. You've got people like Palin who have more in common with Islamic fundamentalists than she does with the Founding Fathers/Whigs/whatever the progressives are in your Western country of choice (and really, I'd include places like South Korea and Japan in 'the West') breeding away, while people who strongly hold those values are the ones having small families.

Because, you know--the same smarts that make them see that those values are the ones to organize any civilization around are the smarts that lead them to make smart, responsible reproductive decisions.

Kind of like the opening of Idiocracy...
I'd also agree with you here.
However, I still think there's an important demographic feature to what ideas win through: when there are more of group X than group Y, largely the views of group Y will tend to win through.* There are other factors, but pure numbers come into play. Unfortunately, as you say, those who hold many of the West's better values also tend to value having children less.

*Which isn't to say that this group Y doesn't have worthwhile values either. The West ain't the be-all-end-all.

Nemorov

May 20, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
blipblop said:
oh the topic made me think something totaly different...
Yeah. I was... Disappointed... >.>
You are a sick sick man.
(Yes I was thinking the same)
Well, we all know where our minds are at. I clicked the link like 'WHAT--oh.'

On topic, HA.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
superdance14 said:
If she actually does run for president, I'm moving to Canada. I'm dead serious.
Well, becoming a citizen takes work, meanwhile you have no money, half an art degree and it's the start of winter. You'll freeze in the streets.
Don't you get it? If you die in Canada, you die in real life!
/reference.
Cookie to everyone who gets it. If you don't, be ashamed.

superdance14

Oct 15, 2008
Glerken said:
superdance14 said:
Well, becoming a citizen takes work, meanwhile you have no money, half an art degree and it's the start of winter. You'll freeze in the streets.
/reference.
I get the reference, can I have a cookie?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
blipblop said:
oh the topic made me think something totaly different...
..So I'm not the only one who thinks the title of this thread needs to be slightly changed.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
superdance14 said:
Glerken said:
superdance14 said:
/reference.
I get the reference, can I have a cookie?
Of course.
I even put M&Ms in it special.

Oolinthu

Apr 29, 2009
Longshot said:
This thread does not deliver. When you put a title like that, you get me all worked up. No fair:(
Exactly. I read the title, then looked at the thread... and was sorely disappointed.