Sherlock Holmes 2: More Moriarty And Cross-Dressing

standokan

May 28, 2009
vansau said:
standokan said:
ChromaticWolfen said:
I loved the music. Love the trailer. Will Love the film. Somebody hug me.
Come into my armes. *hugs firmly*
I bring you people fantastic news like this and I don't get offered huggles? WTF
Oh come here you. *trihugs*

ps:(this threeway never happened)

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I enjoyed the first film a lot more then I was expecting to after going to see it on a whim so I'm really looking foward to this one. The first one, while not Oscar worthy, was a lot of Fun(tm) with Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law pulling off a fantastic "Long term friends" relationship. Really hope this one is just as fun and they don't try and go a darker/more serious path.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I am very much looking forward to this film. Loved the first. Love the actors. Love the director. Plot was....pretty good, but overall a fantastic film. And yeah, +1 for Stephen Fry.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Damn it I hate movie trailers, they just about give every good scene away.
Still don't like the idea of Holmes as a super street fighter... but hey action movies sell more, and apart form that the movie looks awesome.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
TheEvilCheese said:
Well, while not a bad film, the second series of a far better interpretation of Sherlock Holmes (set in the present day) is currently in production. Each episode of series one was the length of a feature film.

... I may have been a bit sidetracked there.

Anyway, I'll probably go see it. Quite enjoyed the first.
Finally someone else who has seen the TV series, I could kiss you. But I won't. Because that would be inappropriate...

I liked the movie and I know I shouldn't compare because they're different and all, but I enjoyed the TV show far better. Both version of Holmes is eccentric, intelligent and seeks the thrill of the puzzle, but the TV show is better in the sense that it gives something for Holmes to do. The mysteries are actual mysteries that are as brilliantly set up as they are solved - I mean compare the cases:

Movie: Villain gets hanged and then comes back from the dead and causes havoc across London with 'Magic'.
TV: A series of unconnected suicides with the victims having no relations and no priors with the only link between them being the type of poison.

Which sounds more interesting to solve? Actually they both sound interesting, but which one has the least obvious solution. On top of that the movie relied far too heavily on 'technology' as an answer, the key to the entire case being a 'remote switch' is mundane, there's no fun in it, no set up for a conclusion , most of the cases was resolved his fists as opposed to any significant deduction.

Anyway, I'm raving on too much. Good trailer. Good trailer.

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
I squeed so hard I have to go hang some drywall to regain some dignity. When a woman needs to hang drywall to make up for a squee- it was a mighty squee indeed.

Surely there's a limerick in there somewhere...hmmm

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
I LOVED the first one they did.
they took bullet time (an overused cliche) and actually made it both coherent and cool.
that and RDJ wass a brilliant Holmes and the on-screen bromance was just fantastic.
totally seeing this one

HapexIndustries

Mar 8, 2011
As a huge Sherlock Holmes fan I enjoyed the movie but thought it was like the dumbed down, sanitized summer blockbuster version.

They got Sherlock Holmes's arrogance and awesomeness right, but they left out his edgiest aspect: Sherlock Holmes did mad drugs, son. Holmes not only had a healthy morphine habit, but also would shoot up cocaine subcutaneously (under the skin, aka "skinpopping") to ward of the "ennui" between cases. I didn't mind the silly zaniness so much as the kid friendly, PG13 bullshit. Even the (totally awesome) BBC series showed his drug paraphenalia and Watson's negative reaction to it. Gods forbid we have an awesome hero that indulges in proscribed substances. That said, I'll watch the sequel, but it's really more of a children's movie compared to the real deal.

"Which is it to-day," I [Watson] asked, "morphine or cocaine?"
He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened.
"It is cocaine," he said, "a seven-per-cent solution. Would you care to try it?"

[Holmes:] "Hence the cocaine. I cannot live without brain-work. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. Was ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace, existence is commonplace, and no qualities save those which are commonplace have any function upon earth."

Apr 17, 2009
HapexIndustries said:
As a huge Sherlock Holmes fan I enjoyed the movie but thought it was like the dumbed down, sanitized summer blockbuster version.

They got Sherlock Holmes's arrogance and awesomeness right, but they left out his edgiest aspect: Sherlock Holmes did mad drugs, son. Holmes not only had a healthy morphine habit, but also would shoot up cocaine subcutaneously (under the skin, aka "skinpopping") to ward of the "ennui" between cases. I didn't mind the silly zaniness so much as the kid friendly, PG13 bullshit. Even the (totally awesome) BBC series showed his drug paraphenalia and Watson's negative reaction to it. Gods forbid we have an awesome hero that indulges in proscribed substances. That said, I'll watch the sequel, but it's really more of a children's movie compared to the real deal.
"You do know that what you're drinking is prescribed for operations of the eye?"

Watson says something like that to Holmes in the film. There's also the way he forgot it was November early on. They don't overtly bring it up, but it seems fairly obvious Ritchie-Holmes is off his head just as much as book-Holmes

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
I enjoyed the first one.
Hopefully (and it looks like it so far) the new one is as good if not better.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Noomi Rapace is in this film? Sold!

She MADE the Millenium trilogy[footnote]The amazing original Swedish trilogy, not the completely unnecessary American remake.[/footnote], proving she could play a complex character faithfully and realistically. I have no doubt she'll be a fantastic addition to the already stellar cast of Robert Downey jr and Jude Law.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
TimeLord said:
*jumps up and down with glee*

Can't wait for this, I love Robert Downey Jr. probably a bit more than I should do :)
^What he said, RDJ is awesome. Just hoping the movie completely overshadows the first one as the first was in some dire need of a decent plot.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
HapexIndustries said:

"You do know that what you're drinking is prescribed for operations of the eye?"

Watson says something like that to Holmes in the film. There's also the way he forgot it was November early on. They don't overtly bring it up, but it seems fairly obvious Ritchie-Holmes is off his head just as much as book-Holmes
Sadly, Sherlock Holmes' brilliant faculty of deductive reasoning was not on display in the first movie, something I don't expect will change with the second movie. That being said, the first movie was good, and so too, I expect, the second movie will be.

I never expected them to show the true Sherlock Holmes, he would be--for most audience--boring; the only thing I was genuinely disappointed in was the character of Irene Adler--she was not thief! In fact, she only kept the compromising photograph of the Bohemian prince because she feared for her safety.