Sherlock Holmes' Partner Watson is 8 Years Old in New Ace Attorney

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sherlock Holmes' Partner Watson is 8 Years Old in New Ace Attorney

Boyishly handsome Sherlock Holmes and eight-year-old doctor Iris Watson help the protagonist of The Great Ace Attorney.

The latest scans of Famitsu illustrate two new characters to the Ace Attorney series: the famous sleuthing duo of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. However, in the next Ace Attorney game, Watson is a young genius named Iris.

Iris Watson is 8 years old and holds a medical Ph.D; child prodigies are no stranger to this series. She lives in London with Holmes and wrote the novel series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes."

While Doyle's Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series takes place in the 19th century, this Ace Attorney game is set in the Meiji era of Japan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133905-Next-Ace-Attorney-Set-in-Meiji-Era-Japan-with-New-Character] around the end of the 19th century. This fictional Holmes will work with the protagonist, Ryunosuke Naruhodo (Phoenix Wright's last name in Japan is Naruhodo), in collaborative deductions. Holmes and Ryunosuke won't be together all the time, though.

[gallery=3128]

Sherlock Holmes is one of the most popular fictional characters with several shows throughout the years paying homage to the detective. Two TV series, CBS's Sherlock [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115338-CBS-Investigates-New-Sherlock-Holmes-TV-Show], are modern adaptations of the book series.

The Great Ace Attorney, titled Ace Attorney: The Adventures of Ryunosuke Naruhodo in Japan, will be available on the 3DS in Japan for a schedule spring 2015 release. Capcom has not confirmed an international release.

Source: Gematsu [http://kotaku.com/first-look-at-sherlock-holmes-in-the-new-ace-attorney-1632889180]

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
An eight-year-old doctor. I see.

I feel that this is an appropriate time to bring up this..

I should note at this point that I haven't actually played any Ace Attorney games (though I want to) but this seems a mite ridiculous.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
no Athena predecessor? She became my favorite Phoenix Wright character so anywhere other than one of the lead roles means I won't buy this game

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
Tahaneira said:
An eight-year-old doctor. I see.

I feel that this is an appropriate time to bring up this..

I should note at this point that I haven't actually played any Ace Attorney games (though I want to) but this seems a mite ridiculous.
Ya it is getting ridiculous, even for the ace attorney games.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Oh for crying out loud. If you want a child, female Watson, sure, have her be a prodigy and whatnot. But an actual doctor? That's idiotic. And a medical doctor at that! When did they teach her anatomy and let her dissect rotting carcasses? When she was four?! I don't mind the gender swap nor the ridiculously young age, nor her being incredibly smart. I mean, there are tons of literature about child or teen detectives, master wizards, geniuses or genius-thieves[footnote]How old is Artemis Fowl in the first book? Twelve, I think?[/footnote], but at least have it make some sense.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
So, since Iris has a M.D., I guess it isn't Elementary School for our Dear Watson.

Please don't kill me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
roseofbattle said:
Iris Watson is 8 years old and holds a medical Ph.D; child prodigies are no stranger to this series.
Child prodigies are no stranger to the pop cultural imaginarium of the entire nation of Japan.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
More (hopefully in this case) good child characters in video games couldn't hurt, though I'm somewhat confused about the setting of this game, considering one part says Meiji era Japan and another London. Any clue on this? Maybe Sherlock & Co lives in London but goes to visit Japan I suppose.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
SilverUchiha said:
Please localize! This game sounds bizarrely interesting. :D
Doubt it. Capcom hates its audience if it doesn't revolve around 500 button finger dancing or Zombies. And if we do get it, it'll be digital only. But they'll promise a physical release if it sells as well as Call of Duty within the first two hours.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Skeleon said:
Oh for crying out loud. If you want a child, female Watson, sure, have her be a prodigy and whatnot. But an actual doctor? That's idiotic. And a medical doctor at that! When did they teach her anatomy and let her dissect rotting carcasses? When she was four?! I don't mind the gender swap nor the ridiculously young age, nor her being incredibly smart. I mean, there are tons of literature about child or teen detectives, master wizards, geniuses or genius-thieves[footnote]How old is Artemis Fowl in the first book? Twelve, I think?[/footnote], but at least have it make some sense.
This is the same game series where you cross-examine an Orca whale. AN ORCA WHALE. IN A COURT OF LAW.

And the best part:

IT WORKS.

So this isn't anywhere nearly as ridiculous as they've gotten. There was also the parrot that you cross-examine, finding a listening device with a detective's elementary school show-and-tell project, a chick with a robot army, and a very interesting concept of what LA looks like.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
All I see is an new Phoenix Wright title featuring a steampunk Sherlock Holmes and a genius-loli Watson.
What's not to like, here?

Plus, it's still a better role for Watson than his usual "look how Holmes is great while I'm totally useless".
Here, we have a reason why he cannot fight and needs Holmes babysitting him all the time.

Well... given it's anime, it will probably be the opposite, with the asskicking mecha-armored loli and the weak-lazy-bishie-just-as-planned intellectual. But still!

PS: To OP, Holmes is huge enough in japan to have a manga serie still going through the 90 tomes (Meitantei Conan).

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
...erm...erm...okay.
It sounds like my last point ("...but at least have it make some sense.") is not applicable to this series then. That's... actually fine, then! If it's known for being utterly ridiculous, nonsensical and bizarre, then I don't mind the utter ridiculousness of this, either.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
There's not a whole lot of information yet, but it seems to me that this game would be more suited in the Investigations spin off series. However in that case it would be unlikely to get localized, so I'm not complaining.

pokeplayer984

Jan 13, 2014
Hmm... I wonder if the "ladder vs. stepladder argument" will be in this game like all the others. At this point, it's hard to see it as a real Ace Attorney game without it. :)

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
This isn't even close to the weirdest thing Japan has turned into a cute girl version of itself. Behold, the opening to the second season of a harem anime where the main girl is Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos, Messenger of the Great Old Ones.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Spartan448 said:
Skeleon said:
This is the same game series where you cross-examine an Orca whale. AN ORCA WHALE. IN A COURT OF LAW.

And the best part:

IT WORKS.
Let's not forget another amazing animal testimony.

If you're willing to suspended your disbelief long enough to cross-examine a fucking parrot or orca whale in a court of law, I'm pretty sure you can handle an 8-year-old doctor. Seriously, these games are supposed to be silly. Chill out, broham.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Tell me again how this is going to be an Ace Attorney game with a DETECTIVE and a DOCTOR instead of LAWYERS? I mean, even Athena had a freaking reason for using psychology in her court cases! Why is Sherlock Holmes going to be in these games?

Ugh.