Sherlock Scored Star Trek 2 Role with iPhone Audition

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sherlock Scored Star Trek 2 Role with iPhone Audition

Director J.J. Abrams said the audition was absolutely "compelling."

Benedict Cumberbatch is weird-looking, sure, but there is a twinkle to him that draws the eye. Most of us think of him as the face of Stephen Moffat's Sherlock on the BBC which casts Cumberbatch as a modern-day consulting detective solving crimes in London with Martin Freeman's Watson. In searching for actors to play the antagonist in his high-profile sequel to the Star Trek reboot, J. J. Abrams had Cumberbatch at the top of his list. Last December, Abrams asked the Brit to submit a taped audition, but it being the holiday, Cumberbatch couldn't find anyone to do it professionally. According to an article in the New York Times, he "begged" a friend to record video of his performance with an iPhone, which he emailed to Abrams. Days later, he had the role. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115072-Sherlock-Holmes-Investigating-Star-Trek-2]

"We observe this little Judeo-Christian cult holiday called Christmas, whereas, you know, some kids in this part of town with their Crackberrys, don't," said Cumberbatch referring to the city of Los Angeles around him.

The audition's low quality didn't affect the performance, in fact, Cumberbatch's scramble to get it made might have contributed to its power. "I was pretty strung out," he said, "so that went into the performance."

Abrams quickly leaped on the casting of the Brit in Star Trek 2, calling the audition "one of the most compelling audition readings I'd ever seen."

Just who is Cumberbatch playing? Is it the role of Khan that many fans assumed the antagonist of the second Star Trek film would be? "You could stick a knife in my thigh, and I wouldn't tell you," he said, before admitting there was one torture technique to which he might succumb. "Pull the hair on my head the wrong way, and I would be on my knees begging for mercy. I have very sensitive follicles."

So do the otters, Mr. Benedict [http://redscharlach.tumblr.com/post/19565284869/otters-who-look-like-benedict-cumberbatch-a]. You don't want us to terrorize them, do you? Just tell us!

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/arts/television/benedict-cumberbatch-moves-from-role-to-role.html?_r=1]

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Sylar then Sherlock holmes? Is star treks new audience teenage girls by any chance?

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
rosac said:
Sylar then Sherlock holmes? Is star treks new audience teenage girls by any chance?
Have you seen his performance in Holmes? He's extremely good - I'm not surprised he's been cast.

acutekat

Nov 2, 2009
inb4 the British complain about another one of their actors playing the bad guy in a movie dominated by Americans.

Seriously though, you Brits have an innate talent to act very evil.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Y'know if there is any young actor today who could play Khan it is Cumberbatch.

Also this man is just missing a shady war record to become this generations Christopher Lee.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I would happily have sex with Benedict Cumberbatch, and I'm a heterosexual male. Sherlock is a damn good show, and he's an impressive actor.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
I can't wait to see what his role is going to be.

I love the show and think he does a great job as Sherlock, so I wish him the best of luck with this role.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Agent Larkin said:
Y'know if there is any young actor today who could play Khan it is Cumberbatch.

Also this man is just missing a shady war record to become this generations Christopher Lee.
Naveen fucking Andrews. Just, Naveen Andrews. Not only is he an awesome and powerful actor he at least looks like he could be a Sikh.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
joe-h2o said:
rosac said:
Have you seen his performance in Holmes? He's extremely good - I'm not surprised he's been cast.
Don't forget his role in Tinker, Tailor, solder, spy.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Suicidejim said:
I would happily have sex with Benedict Cumberbatch, and I'm a heterosexual male. Sherlock is a damn good show, and he's an impressive actor.
Pretty sure that makes you not entirely heterosexual. Just by definition.

Which is totally cool.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
cairocat said:
Suicidejim said:
Pretty sure that makes you not entirely heterosexual. Just by definition.

Which is totally cool.
You underestimate the Cumberbatch. He defies regular convention.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I didn't like him on first, much like I don't like every new Doctor in the show, but him (and the Doctors too) seem to grow on me.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Never seen Cumberbatch's acting so I can't speak for his acting.

None the less hopefully he'll be good.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
joe-h2o said:
rosac said:
Yeah, I just realized me and Rosac can't be friends.

I like people with different opinions, but that was too much.

/sob

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I've never watched the new Sherlock (or even seen a single clip of it for that matter) so have no idea what Cumberbatch is like on screen.

Speaking of Star Trek 2, I hear MovieBob just can't wait for this film!