She's too young for you bro

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Hehehehe, I totally break the half my age plus 7 rule by dating an 18 year-old. I'm 30. Though I suppose the fact that she thinks I'm 24 might be a factor........

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I'll go as low or as high as is see fit... you know, depending on the person...

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Regarding A/2+7, I should only go as young as 17. This is fair, as far as open dating goes. I'm perfectly comfortable dating a mature 17 year old, and as far as upper range goes I'm fine with girls into their mid-to-late 20s.

However, I would, if the law was not an issue and no one would know, have physical relations with a girl as young as a REALLY hot/physically-developed 13 year old, realistically as young as 14. But that's a dream compared to reality, where I wouldn't go any younger than 16. I would barely mess around with a 16-year old at that, even though it'd be perfectly legal in my state.

*Edit* Of course, everyone is different. I met this really awesome girl that seemed very smart, funny, etc etc. She knew my age but when I asked hers she (slyly) avoided the subject in a damn-impressive fashion, in hindsight. We kissed or whatever, and was holding hands the whole time (at this big bonfire), and it wasn't until the next day that I found out she was barely 15 years old, when I was right about to turn 20. Goddamn my luck. I'd still go for her if we didn't both agree to put an end to it for social reasons.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
ravensheart18 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Dense_Electric said:
Just stopping by to say, that formula bullshit is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Such things should be decided on a case-by-case basis, and maturity should count more than age.

EDIT: Also, that XKCD is hilarious.
It's a general rule of thumb for social acceptance of the relationship. It has nothing to do with whether each person is ready for the relationship, but more if society will see it as weird or not.
It's an internet meme that only means something to a few internet geeks. The rest of society has never heard of that rule.
The rule itself is a meme, yes. But in general, if you make a judgement using said rule, people who've never heard of it will agree with you.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
It depends for me. I'm 23 and I will avoid anyone under 18, but also no more than 5 years difference.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I quite like the xkcd rule of thumb. It also has the handy quality of self-destructing below age 14 (14/2 + 7 = 14, (14-x)/2 + 7 > 14-x), effectively putting a recommended minimum age on dating. And because of the way the function works, it broadens your dating group the older you get (and society seems to think that age matters less and less the older you get), which means it does reflect (to an extent) social views regarding age and dating.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
Hafrael said:
17, for me 15 is pushing it.

My girlfriend is 18, exactly six months older than me.
I'm 18, and I feel 15 is pushing it, which will bump to 16 when I turn 19 in December

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
Dense_Electric said:
Just stopping by to say, that formula bullshit is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Such things should be decided on a case-by-case basis, and maturity should count more than age.

EDIT: Also, that XKCD is hilarious.
I dunno, the formula really works quite well assuming you start at age 13 (Dating before then is getting weird anyways):
YOUR AGE, AGE MINIMUM
13, 6+7 = 13
14, 7+7 = 14

Now I will give you that after 18 has hit, it really just becomes okay... But it still is creepy when a 60 year is with an 18 year old. Less creepy if a 60 year old was with a 37 year old.

Don't knock the formula!

Sep 14, 2009
TheCorpseMan99 said:
usmarine4160 said:
Legally (in my state) under 18 is under 18, though if I had a 12 year old daughter and some 15 year old started... exhibiting certain interests... he'd be running from my Harley and my .44

It's the whole 'daddy's little girl' thing that fathers go to extremes on that makes it dangerous territory.
The only thing better than having sex with twelve year old girls is mocking "internet tough guys" who use names like "usmarine4160" and talk about the motorcycle and gun that they don't own.
nice try tough guy troll, better luck next time.

OT: the rule isn't too bad for a rough estimate.

20/2+7, so 17, which i haven't gone that low but maturity wise i wouldn't see too much of a problem.

i think it depends more on maturity, and it looks better and better when you get older, but sometimes it gets to be...creepy.

the lowest i've gone is when i was 17 and she was 15, and it was 2 years and one month so for one month it looked a little goofy when i was introduced as being 18 to her family..

Kodachi

Jun 6, 2011
Heh my "test" to those I may think are immature...

"Are you able to provide a funny quote that is NOT directly ripped from Family Guy, Simpsons, or South Park?"

Works remarkably well.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
The way I see it, as long as there are no legal or ethical complications, it's entirely circumstantial. Compatibility is compatibility.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
It depends. Ignoring the half your age + 7 thing for a moment, when you?re and adult it doesn?t really matter too much. Granted when you start getting more than twice the age like an 18 year old dating a 50 year old it is kind of strange to me but they?re both adults they can do what they like. Under 18?s? Shouldn?t be more than a couple of years. I knew a girl who was dating an 18 year old at 13 and I?m sorry but that seems wrong to me. She is still a kid.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
EDIT: Fuck it, someone took my answer.
SODAssault said:
The way I see it, as long as there are no legal or ethical complications, it's entirely circumstantial. Compatibility is compatibility.