Shigeru Miyamoto Doesn't Make Kiddy Games

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
I never said Shigeru Miyamoto made kiddie games.
I said he made it with kiddies!

Get your accusations straight, sir.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I can certainly see where he is coming from. Can see why he won a BAFTA

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
manythings said:
I'm kinda lost on why anyone cares. Surely the people who call them childish are the people who aren't playing them anyway and are probably buying them for their kids. He just has to face the fact that he doesn't get to tell people what to think.
Sure he can, and so can me or you. It doesn't mean people will listen but we can still tell.

That's not what he's doing anyway, he's talking about his own design philosophy. Since he's widely acknowledged as one of the greatest Video Game producers ever I think he has the right to do that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
JourneyThroughHell said:
Aura Guardian said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
So that makes Modern Warfare 2 a kiddy game because it's short and easy?
Well, technically speaking, he did specifically say he's not worrying about them becoming kiddie, but becoming easier and shorter.

I also notice his comments about it's not just kids, but also "50 year old men" who will play it. The ironic thing about this is that I think that the kids and "older folks" demographic is very similar, at least right now. Something people have talked about with the Wii where it's games seem to be played mostly by kids, or the older end of adulthood. Everyone in between is pretty much overlooked.

Consider for a second that someone who is 50+ is going to be someone who was born in the 1960s or before. Exactly the kind of people who have the "games are for kids" mentality, and to an extent Nintendo's designs visually reinforce this. What's more older folks with time on their hands typically have slower reflexes, and perhaps even thought processes, than kids or people a decade or two younger. As such to succeed at a game it needs to be substantially easier than a "Twitch mania" type game directed at kids. What's more when people get older, they begin to feel more powerless and irrelevent. Games that highlight crime, military violence, etc... aren't exciting to them, they're scary in a way that goes beyond the whole "M" rated games contreversy. Even a 300 pound loser somehow thinks in the back of their mind that somehow they could "shape up and survive" in a situation like some of the things presented in the games. They have decades of possibilities still ahead of them. At 50 not only are people slowing down, but they are pretty much stuck into their rut. They're now one of the guys who has to worry about the gang banger busting through the front of the house and stealing a lifetimes worth of aquisition and preparation, they can't start over again. As I said it's not "fun".

So ironically I think we might be looking at something akin to a freudian slip here. The bottom line is he does not design for the main body of the gaming population.

Truthfully I'll also say that I think gaming will change a lot in the next 20 years, among other things you'll see a return of things like "turn based" games, simply because the kids who are twitching like crazy now, are going to slow down (I'm 34 and I've noticed it). Yet they will be people who grew up with gaming, and a differant perspective on it than those who are currently in the "older" catagory, and thus will be demanding less childish games. It will be interesting to see what happens to say the least.

That's my thoughts at any rate.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
manythings said:
I'm kinda lost on why anyone cares. Surely the people who call them childish are the people who aren't playing them anyway and are probably buying them for their kids. He just has to face the fact that he doesn't get to tell people what to think.
Sure he can, and so can me or you. It doesn't mean people will listen but we can still tell.

That's not what he's doing anyway, he's talking about his own design philosophy. Since he's widely acknowledged as one of the greatest Video Game producers ever I think he has the right to do that.
Ok lets change that to you can't dictate what people think about your product. Also I would dispute being one of the greatest ever. He'd famous, popular and rich but so is George Lucas and I'm never going to call him one of the greatest movie makers ever.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Caradinist said:
SuperMse said:
Every time I see quote from Miyamoto, it makes me smile. The man is greatest toymaker in history.
THEY AREN'T TOYS, THEY ARE PRODUCTS AAAARRRRGH ASDHASDJASHDJAS, etc etc.

Also i always figured it wasn't for kids anyway, what with a mass murdering italian plumber "rescuing" a princess, all in the name of "love".
Ummm, toys are products. Video games are both.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
The demographic that buys the game is the demographic that determines what kind of game it is. A lot of things, cartoons especially, have an intended audience and an actual audience.

I personally see a lot of kids that like Mario, making them kiddy in nature. Regardless of the intended audience a its kid friendly and many kids play them. That isn't a dirty word, it just is. Hell, when I was a kid I enjoyed them, now? Not so much. It has a style that isn't fun for me anymore like it used to be.

In my opinion the 3D marios have just been crap. I hate the control scheme and they're just easy. But there are a lot of M rated games that are easy too.

So if it's cartoony and easy, and the content is comprehended by a small child, is it a kiddy game? Probably so, and who cares, it sells well to be accessible.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The challenge of Miyamoto's games have decreased significantly over the years, that's not a deniable fact. Going from 6 health slots in SM64 to only 3 health slots in SMG and SMG2 show this. It's not that the games are becoming kiddy that I'm worried about. It's the fact that I can walk through a Mario game in about 2-3 hours. Beaching Yoshi's Story in 40 minutes was a major piss off. Where the hell has Star Fox been? What about Donky Kong? Kirby hasn't had a true game in two console gens. It seems like the creativity of Nintendo is leaving at a rapid rate.
You didn't even read what I wrote did you? I never said that Shigeru Miyamoto's games are kiddy because they're easy and short. In fact I even said that kiddy games aren't what I'm worried about I'm criticizing the lack of challenge and creativity that his games have shown for a long time. Using MW2 as a point was actually pretty idiotic, not going to lie. That game's short and easy because they want to to play the multiplayer and buy the maps packs. Nintendo games are losing that creative edge they had. Next time read someone's point before you post about it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
AdmiralWolverineLightningbolt said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The challenge of Miyamoto's games have decreased significantly over the years, that's not a deniable fact. Going from 6 health slots in SM64 to only 3 health slots in SMG and SMG2 show this. It's not that the games are becoming kiddy that I'm worried about. It's the fact that I can walk through a Mario game in about 2-3 hours. Beaching Yoshi's Story in 40 minutes was a major piss off. Where the hell has Star Fox been? What about Donky Kong? Kirby hasn't had a true game in two console gens. It seems like the creativity of Nintendo is leaving at a rapid rate.
the health thing argument's just stupid
i almost never died in sm64 or sunshine from health beacuse of it
but i die so much in galaxy from it, it's brutal
and the daredevil comet which gives you only 1 piece is literally the cruelest thing ever designed, they want a perfect run?! and some of the levels are not easy to do even with 3 pieces
the rest i somewhat understand, i prefer the design of the 3d games myself so i disagree but that's personal preference
The point I was trying to make with the health was that it's a shame that Nintendo tries to make SMG hard by cutting your health in half. Other than that SMG was a cakewalk. I'm not saying I want a Nintendo Demon's Souls game. But I want a Nintendo game that isn't a dumbed down sequel, a remake of a DS game, or a game with the same basic story and prettier graphics. I also want them to actually use all of their franchises instead of concentrating on the highest sellers. That's haven't we seen a Kirby or DK game in 2 console generations. That's why NA will never see Mother 3 or Fatal Frame 4. That's why it's been 6 years since the last F-Zero.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Aura Guardian said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
You didn't even read what I wrote did you? I never said that Shigeru Miyamoto's games are kiddy because they're easy and short. In fact I even said that kiddy games aren't what I'm worried about I'm criticizing the lack of challenge and creativity that his games have shown for a long time. Using MW2 as a point was actually pretty idiotic, not going to lie. That game's short and easy because they want to to play the multiplayer and buy the maps packs. Nintendo games are losing that creative edge they had. Next time read someone's point before you post about it.
Oh did read it. And I posted what was the most noticeable part. He said he doesn't make kiddy-games. He didn't say challenging.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Aura Guardian said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Oh I did read it. And I posted my thoughts what was the most noticeable part. He said he doesn't make kiddy-games. He didn't say challenging.
And I'm not arguing the fact that he doesn't make kiddy games, so again, your commentary is irrelevant to my point.

P.S. I've taking the liberty of editing your posts grammatical errors. You're welcome.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Or maybe it's just possible that the newer games aren't as challenging to you because you've been playing for so long? You've gotten better over the years? It's still probably plenty challenging to people who are picking up those games as their first in the series.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I know Nintendo has done some stupid stuff in the past, but the release of a black Wii in North America (shut up, I saw it at Best Buy AND Gamestop), and stuff like this from Miyamoto has more than made up for it.

Can we make this guy a god or something???

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
direkiller said:
children games are games whos target demographic is children
you do make kid games Shigeru Miyamoto despite the fact you deny it(theres nothing wrong with makeing kid games just don't be ashamed of it)
Adult games are games whose target demographic is adults.
This would make Miyamoto's games adult games, and I doubt he's ashamed of it.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I agree. Those flying ships levels in super mario bros (dont remember if it was 1 or 3) were for children :/

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
mjc0961 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Or maybe it's just possible that the newer games aren't as challenging to you because you've been playing for so long? You've gotten better over the years? It's still probably plenty challenging to people who are picking up those games as their first in the series.
I thought about that, but back when I was 13 I beat Yoshi's Story in 40 minutes. I have yet to beat Fatal Labyrinth or MegaMan 4 to this day. I'm 19 now. And I haven't seen a Nintendo game that really "brought it" since Ocarina of Time.