Shigeru Miyamoto to Be Awarded BAFTA Fellowship

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Silva said:
It's both interesting and heartening to see a film and television academy award this to a video game developer, even though it has happened before. There is clearly some respect in the higher echelons of the art hierarchy of Britain for gaming.

I think that this acknowledgement of Miyamoto is evidence that the old argument that games can't be art will slowly die over time. After all, the generations that have been born since the beginning of gaming will eventually become the only ones alive, and on the basis of probability some of those gamers will take up high positions in the world arts community.

Respect where respect is due is what stabilises a creative industry, and video gaming is no exception. I hope we see more developers acknowledged in this way in the future, and I am certain that this will occur.

Rainboq said:
John Funk said:
Congratulations to our man Shigeru. While videogames might well exist today if it hadn't been for you, I don't want to know what they'd look like.
Who knows? The games industry could be built on continually creating new IPs, no sequels, no movie tie-ins....
And thus wouldn't have survived the 90's without losing a lot of money, as opposed to having a Golden Age of profits and critical success at about that time. I think that Miyamoto did the industry a huge favour by creating franchises which inspired the hardcore to be emotionally attached to certain recurring characters.
Ever played ET for the Atari 2600? That is the spawn of movie tie ins.. *shudder*

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
The father of our generation (I was born in 1982). He deserves all the recognition he can get. He has paved the way for more people than people give him credit for and has influenced so much creativity even outside of the video game world. Congratulations I say.

If there were a "World Hall of Fame" his entry would be mandatory. He did more for video games than the Beatles did for music.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Rainboq said:
Ever played ET for the Atari 2600? That is the spawn of movie tie ins.. *shudder*
That's hardly a Miyamoto-created game.

Even if it were, the fact is that, from a meta-critical viewpoint, he's made more brilliant games than duds. Bad games don't often sell well, so their influence is hardly notable, while good games (especially his best) enrich the whole industry and the lives of consumers.

I think that remembering someone for his best work and putting aside a few mistakes is fair play for an award like this one, in any case.

SavingPrincess said:
If there were a "World Hall of Fame" his entry would be mandatory. He did more for video games than the Beatles did for music.
Miyamoto himself would not necessarily appreciate that last. I seem to recall that he is a huge fan of the Beatles.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
I have to say, he may have done great things for gaming. But as long as he continues to pump out Mario and Zelda, I will not respect him.
Without Mario and Zelda, every game you have ever loved, played, wanted to play, or want to be made in the future would simply not exist. You "not respecting him" would lead me to question why you're posting on a videogame site.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Silva said:
Rainboq said:
That's hardly a Miyamoto-created game.

Even if it were, the fact is that, from a meta-critical viewpoint, he's made more brilliant games than duds. Bad games don't often sell well, so their influence is hardly notable, while good games (especially his best) enrich the whole industry and the lives of consumers.

I think that remembering someone for his best work and putting aside a few mistakes is fair play for an award like this one, in any case.
I applaud Mr.Miyamoto on his wonderful achievement, but I was merely stating that the industry could have done without movie tie-ins

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Adzma said:
While he does deserve the award for Super Mario Bros. and Zelda, lets not forget that this is the man who also pushed for WiiSports, WiiMusic etc. Those have to take some points off in my book.
Why be so negative?
Even if he did produce some stuff you don't like, that doesn't make Zelda or Mario any less awesome.
Also, what was wrong with Wii Sports? It was a damn good game for an introduction to the console.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SavingPrincess said:
Without Mario and Zelda, every game you have ever loved, played, wanted to play, or want to be made in the future would simply not exist. You "not respecting him" would lead me to question why you're posting on a videogame site.
Supposition. There's no evidence that someone else wouldn't have stepped up to the plate and created something else in Miyamoto's place.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
SavingPrincess said:
tellmeimaninja said:
I have to say, he may have done great things for gaming. But as long as he continues to pump out Mario and Zelda, I will not respect him.
I say that's all good. But he's gone sour. I live in the present, and it sucks. Right now, I hate Zelda (I really hate most mideval combat games) and I hate every Mario game and spin-off of it that Nintendo shits out every three seconds. I'm on a fucking gaming site because I enjoy gaming. I don't respect him or Nintendo, and until they make a Mario or Zelda game that I enjoy, I probably won't.
Whoa there, calm yourself, lest ye bring the wrath o' the Mods!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Adzma said:
While he does deserve the award for Super Mario Bros. and Zelda, lets not forget that this is the man who also pushed for WiiSports, WiiMusic etc. Those have to take some points off in my book.
And what's wrong with those two? Every developer makes mistakes but since he's made so many great games and you think those two aren't is a bit odd. They're fun like all of his games.
tellmeimaninja said:

I was kind of expecting the Film Association to give Kojima an award. He's come a lot closer to movies! Zing!
You do know that if it wasn't for those games, the games you like wouldn't exist.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's great, the man cannot get recognized enough, it's awesome that one of the fathers of modern gaming is being awarded for his work.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
I say that's all good. But he's gone sour. I live in the present, and it sucks. Right now, I hate Zelda (I really hate most mideval combat games) and I hate every Mario game and spin-off of it that Nintendo shits out every three seconds. I'm on a fucking gaming site because I enjoy gaming. I don't respect him or Nintendo, and until they make a Mario or Zelda game that I enjoy, I probably won't.
That's a lot of hate my friend.

I think you're missing the point of a "lifetime" award. That being said, I doubt you'll be swayed in your opinion or see beyond your cloud of anger toward the things you mentioned; but I will liken your hatred toward Miyamoto to hating Alfred Hitchcock because all he did was keep making more and more horror movies. I advise to step outside yourself a bit and while you may "live in the present," try and realize the "present" that you hold so dear would not exist if this man and all his Mario's and Zelda's weren't excremented as often as they were.

That much hate isn't healthy man.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Rainboq said:
I applaud Mr.Miyamoto on his wonderful achievement, but I was merely stating that the industry could have done without movie tie-ins
I don't mean to be Mr Contradiction at all here, but didn't we just have an article on this magazine about GoldenEye, a movie tie-in that was very highly acclaimed?

There are exceptions to every rule... I guess while you could go without it, I certainly couldn't. It was one of the quintessential gaming experiences of my early years. But by all means, suit yourself.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Amnestic said:
Supposition. There's no evidence that someone else wouldn't have stepped up to the plate and created something else in Miyamoto's place.
Possibly, but he was the butterfly that if you stepped on in the past would have caused the internet to never have been invented.

If his mechanics and fundamentals never came to pass, different things would be here... but everything as it is now would not.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
*sigh*
One step closer to becoming the gaming god. Good on you Miyamoto. Keep making good games.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
He does deserve it. I'm pretty sure theres a reason why I've had his name synonymously linked to gaming for years. Although...super mario galaxy...I don't know if its cos I'm older now, but wheres the creative sparkle?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Amnestic said:
Crabturtleking said:
Funny you should say that. He was knighted into the [a href=http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/07/shigeru-miyamoto-to-receive-french-honour/]Ordre des Arts et des Lettres[/a] about 4 years ago.
Oh man, he even got a shiny medal for it?

Lucky bastard!

That is pretty damn cool though.

Gigaguy64 said:
i wonder if he would provide his own sword if that ever happened.
If it wasn't a Master Sword replica, I would be sorely disappointed.
Replica??? No it better be THE Master Sword!!!