shin megami tensei-the art of making you feel pain

Mesca

May 6, 2010
Oh for the love of BATMAN.

OP is upset because of the incredibly frustrating difficulty of the majority of the SMT series.

Shin Megami Tensei isn't all that big overseas, but in Japan, it's one of the big 3 RPG classic series, alonside Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. There's the main Shin Meg games, the Devil Summoner spin offs, Persona, Demikids, the MMO Imagine, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, and quite a few more.

They tend to be very big on elemental weaknesses, buffs, and debuffs. They're also very unforgiving, requiring a great deal of grinding, as well as very specific strategies in combat. Bosses in particular are often ridiculous in difficulty. If the basic random battles can be easily devastating, then bosses are the fights that remove the chance of being devastating, and guarantee it.

I know like half the people here are Tropers, so I can put it like this: There's a reason Atlus got its own Nintendo Hard page, because all the SMT entries took up too damn much space. Every boss is That One Boss, and most of the enemies are Demonic Spiders/Goddamned Bats.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Dracovec said:
fine sorry about the thread,im sorry none of you know the series,also sorry i wont explain it cause i was expecting people who have played the series to post about the games...if you wanna know play the games im done lol
Hey I didn't say anything that sets the series apart from others, like combat or story or characters and will not do so but dammit I got to use a snappy title for the thread lol.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Mesca said:

OP is upset because of the incredibly frustrating difficulty of the majority of the SMT series.

Shin Megami Tensei isn't all that big overseas, but in Japan, it's one of the big 3 RPG classic series, alonside Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. There's the main Shin Meg games, the Devil Summoner spin offs, Persona, Demikids, the MMO Imagine, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, and quite a few more.

They tend to be very big on elemental weaknesses, buffs, and debuffs. They're also very unforgiving, requiring a great deal of grinding, as well as very specific strategies in combat. Bosses in particular are often ridiculous in difficulty. If the basic random battles can be easily devastating, then bosses are the fights that remove the chance of being devastating, and guarantee it.

I know like half the people here are Tropers, so I can put it like this: There's a reason Atlus got its own Nintendo Hard page, because all the SMT entries took up too damn much space. Every boss is That One Boss, and most of the enemies are Demonic Spiders/Goddamned Bats.
Now, if the OP had just said it was Final Fantasy for Koreans this whole thing could have been avoided.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Just a piece of advice Dracovec, always assume your audience (ie the people reading your post) have no idea what you're talking about. Give details and maybe some examples too.

As for your topic though, I've only played one Shin Megami Tensei game and that was Persona 3. I'm not quite sure I understand what your getting at. Although it was particularly painful to spend a good hour or two battling the final boss only to get crushed when I was within a hair's breath of beating him. Never did beat that bastard.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mesca said:

Im starting to feel glad about not playing them.

Mesca

May 6, 2010
Dr. Whiggs said:
Now, if the OP had just said it was Final Fantasy for Koreans this whole thing could have been avoided.
They eat Koreans too. Then they wash them down with shattered dreams and broken controllers. Even the one Atlus made for kids, Demikids, even that one is soul crushingly hard! Dammit.. you can't sell me a game made to cash in on pokemon, something aimed at a load of kids, and then have it be ball bustingly difficult.

Edit: It's just not freaking fair. You can't make something that looks like this (see link) and then ramp up the difficulty to "Stop Crying You Pansy *****" levels.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/demikids/darkelf2110/CaratulaDemiKidsLightVersion.jpg

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
I play the online version of this game... stopped playing after my Angel died, and I couldn't summon her again... damn it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hi there. Veteran of four Persona games, SMT: Nocturne, and SMT: Imagine here.

I'm not sure I necessarily follow as to the nature of why the OP here is feeling as much stress. As a player of also alot of Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and any number of other dungeon crawlers, I'm going to have to disagree that all things SMT are particularly more punishing than the rest.

I'm sorry, but games made by those guys are what I define as the best kind of RPG. Maybe I'm just good at these things, but I like the challenge, the strategy, the creation factor, and so on. These games are properly difficult, properly challenging, and properly balanced. They work. I'm afraid there is no real argument here.

Dracovec

Apr 28, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Hi there. Veteran of four Persona games, SMT: Nocturne, and SMT: Imagine here.

I'm not sure I necessarily follow as to the nature of why the OP here is feeling as much stress. As a player of also alot of Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and any number of other dungeon crawlers, I'm going to have to disagree that all things SMT are particularly more punishing than the rest.

I'm sorry, but games made by those guys are what I define as the best kind of RPG. Maybe I'm just good at these things, but I like the challenge, the strategy, the creation factor, and so on. These games are properly difficult, properly challenging, and properly balanced. They work. I'm afraid there is no real argument here.
i have ran the gauntlet of jrpg since my nintendo days and it just seemed to me this series was more challenging in terms of sheer damage output on your face

Crabturtleking

Jun 2, 2009
Everyone seems to be mentioning the gameplay aspect of the SMG titles, but they also tend to have absolutely amazing stories. I've been playing Devil Survivor a lot recently, and I must say that it's one of the greatest plots I've seen in some time.