Shit just got real moments in video games.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
The Elite Four in just about every generation of Pokemon.
1st gen, I flounder my way through 4 boss fights in a row, relying on my supremely overpowered Charizard and Zapdos, only to find that Gary motherfucking Oak had become the champion before me, and the greatest rival show-down in history took place. Twice. Because he kicked my ass the first time and I had to start allllll over.
2nd gen... meh. I think the fighting-type guy gave me some trouble, and dragons are always a pain in the ass without an ice type. Oh yeah, and Red as a bonus boss. FFFFUUUUUUUCK that Snorlax.
3rd gen, HE WAS THE CHAMPION ALL ALONG?! And DAYUM, those are some tough Pokemon he has on his side.
4th gen. My. God. Cynthia was a PAIN, but her boss music made everything far more grand and epic than it should've been. She was another one that took more than one try, all because of her fucking Garchomp.
5th gen. My. God. Again. My pokemon were underleveled, weak in nearly every way and terribly mismatched for almost every single match-up. I was horribly handicapped, occasionally relying on luck and my throw-away "switch to this weak-ass guy while I patch up my stronger ones" pokemon. Then came N's castle, then the legendary, then N himself, then the guy behind the guy... God damn, the Elite Four is meant to be a grueling gauntlet of boss fights, but White/Black turned that up to 11.

The third or so mission in Starcraft 2 has you in a purely defensive position while the clock ticks down. Some 20+ missions later, we have the final mission, titled "All In". Never has a mission title been quite so accurate. You have to pull out ALL your tricks and use every scrap of knowledge and strategy you've learned throughout the game just to survive. Oh yeah, you have the artifact's zerg-annihilating pulse on your side as a panic button, but it still comes down to you scrambling to reinforce key defense points before the next batch of zerg breaks through.

Final Fantasy 7. The whole game has a number of pivotal scenes in the story, but no single moment in the game compares to the death of Aeris. Need I say more?

Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Sub-Space Emissary. Moment 1 is the reveal of ROB. Moment 2 is the reveal of Tabuu, complete with him smacking down Master Hand.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Burst6 said:
apsham said:
Everything ever in Dark Souls.
Especially the sewer boss.

"ok wide open area. It's obviously going to be a boss fight.

What's that? It's a head peaking out of the hole in the floor. What is it? kinda looks like an armored seal. looks kinda cute.

Ok so it's coming out of the hole.

I will never sleep again"
Dude i know what you mean , i beat him not so long ago , and HOLY SHIT

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
The first time I faced off against the fully awakened Arch Fiend in Ninja Gaiden II and fifteen seconds later when I was killed by the fully awakened Arch Fiend.

cricketlenny

Nov 19, 2010
When I was facing 2 Pyramid Heads in Silent Hill, it was an "Oh shit, this aint good!" moment. I figured I was going to die, so I brought out The Great Knife, the 6 foot sword Pyramid Head usually uses, and just started swinging it around. But then something weird happened. It was actually working! I just swung some more and dodged their attacks, and they were dead. So amazing

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The first time I ever encountered Lu Bu in a Dynasty Warriors game, Dynasty Warriors 4 to be precise, at the Battle of Hu Lao Gate.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Oichi's green path in Sengoku Basara. Watching Ieyasu and Mitsunari get unexpectedly defeated before Sekigahara, which never happens during the initial paths. Finding out just who the voice was calling me throughout the story, who Tenkai really is, and just what he was trying to achieve.

Then witnessing the return of the Demon King plunge Japan into chaos...and singlehandedly sending him back to hell. The entire Incident At Honnoji stage in that game is like that the first time around, especially when you realize just why you have to take over those camps before the enemy soldiers are sacrificed.

Magoichi's alternate path is similar, since she's the one other character with a special story involving that incident. It basically turns into a huge grudge match of the Saika Mercenaries against the Demon King.

Sixcess said:
Oh, hell yes. I love those, and still remember some of the times they came upon me unexpected. Especially one that turned into a terrific fight for my low-level PuG, when we wound up surrounded by a metric asston of Rikti and my poor Empathy/Psychic Defender had to run around keeping everyone alive while blasting the enemy. Even after reviving multiple times, the last one of us seriously died fighting one last Rikti, right when the invasion ended, giving it an "epic last stand" feel.

Still, I think my major City of Heroes moment would probably be my first encounter with the Clockwork Paladin...my first giant monster ever, actually. I damn-near panicked when I stumbled onto the thing and its entourage, they nearly killed me, and it came near the train station...only for a massive group of heroes to appear and take the thing down. Dear god, that was an awesome moment. Even finding out later that it's one of the least significant monsters in the game, and the drones would have taken care of it, doesn't diminish my memory of that.

Blade1130

Sep 25, 2011
Max Payne, the ending right when you drop an antenna tower on top of a helicopter.

BEST KILL EVER.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Most moments in Serious Sam, when the music starts up.

Oh yeah.

And the fact that the music, if you click at the right time, will sync up with your gun firing, and be epic!!!!

Captcha: totally idedudi

Totally epic, and totally idedudi too...

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Mechwarrior. Piloting a Daishi at about 50% damage sustained, with only a few medium lasers, an SRM pack, and a Clan Gauss Rifle remaining. I'm up against two Maulers, an Atlas, a Catapult, and a Mad Cat. And then after all of that, a Hrothgar dropship.

I have no idea how, but I managed to pull that out of my ass. It was an awesome feeling.

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
The Darkness when...
Paulie kills Jenny

Trilby's Notes when...
Lenkmann stabs Trilby; then it got even more real when we learn the consequences of our actions back in 7 Days

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The Covenant arriving on Reach and the Chaos Space Marines invading on Space Marine.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie. This is perhaps my favorite movie to video game adaptation ever made for one reason: It made me cry, and you can quote me on that.

I'll set the scene:

Within the game, you can play as both Jack Driscoll (Adrien Brody's character) and as King Kong. The game will often switch between both perspectives, KK being 3rd person action, and Jack being 1st person. While the 1st person parts inspire terror in some points (Because Centipedes couldn't be anymore scarier than they are now), the 3rd person stuff sends me into these moments where all the happens is that I defend a small woman from being eaten.

I didn't think this game would have done anything to me, so I start playing it, no big deal. When I finally get to the King Kong Levels, I spend most of it trying to figure out the controls. When I see the moment, it's shocking to me.

A T-rex, King of dinosaurs roars at me, trying to intimidate me. I believe I roar back. The Creature runs straight toward little Ms. Ann Darrow, and almost immediately, she lets out the iconic terrified scream. I had seen the movie two or three times, and I thought it was fine, but when I got to play the hero... I lost it.

I think the T-Rexes got really close to hurting her, and then she screamed again, now a controller doesn't exist in my hand anymore, and she didn't feel like she was part of the level, now she's the reason that she lives or dies, and I'm supposed to control that.

So I killed T-Rexes, all the while, tears build up, and when I killed the last Dinosaur within the level and KK roars, I close my eyes and when I opened them, My vision was all blurry with moisture. I was happy, and also, I realized that shit got real.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure this meets your definition

TF2:
I was playing payload as a medic. I don't remember why, but I was hiding in a corner by myself waiting for the cart to pass me so that I could sneak around blue team and get back to my guys. Unfortunately, an enemy scout screwed that plan over when he ran past me and spotted me. This clued in an enemy medic and what I think was a demoman to my position. I found myself 3v1 and I was a FREAKING MEDIC.
It happened quickly, but I whipped out my bonesaw and went to town on all three of them. I. didn't. even. take. damage.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
The Resident Evil games have a tendancy for me to yell out "shits gettin REAL" type lines;

RE2:

Tyrant Mr.X leaps out of a lava pit and reveals his true form Roaring in epic fashion. My response? If you've ever seen that SNL Will Ferrel skit where he's a really abusive boss, yeah, you know what it is:

"OHHH! SCOTT JURGENSON! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO MURDER YOU!"

RE5: Online Co-op pt1.

Me and my best bro were deliberating on who should carry what items and weapons and the like, and some random Majini came along and whacked me from behind. Now picture this if you're my buddy;

*attacked*

"HEY!.. HEY!"

*Shotgun blows off his head*

"Fuck off. We're Sharing!"

RE5: Online Co-op pt.2.

Much later in the game we get to an annoying boss battle where we aren't allowed to kill this woman. After dying twice, I decide to take matters into my own hands..

*Battle starts* *Shotgun blast* *GAME OVER*

"DUDE! What'd you do that for?"

"THE ***** WAS CRAZY! You saw it! She's runnin up walls and snarling at us! I did what had to be done."

DeviousSk47

Dec 25, 2009
Ok, well this might sound kinda weird but resident evil for the psx. I was young and alredy rather scared but when that tyrant busted out of its tube and slaughtered its supposed master, I think I literally shat a brick. it was just so intense even the ending fight on the heli pad couldn't match up to this.