Shit just got real moments in video games.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Zhukov said:
Bioshock, first attempt at taking down a big daddy.

"Okay, these armour piercing rounds should do the trick."
"Huh, he looks a bit cross."

"Oh Jesus fuck! Run! Cover, cover, cover!"
This^

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Just the other day I was playing Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2. I was fighting 5 guys as my favorate character. On the last one, I was pretty weakened. He started flying towards me from the other side of the map to do a special attack. I teleported away, stunned him, powered up and used my ultimate attack. It hit him, blew up the planet and left him with only one last bar of health. It was pretty awesome.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Civilisation Revolution, when I first played it.

I was playing as England and had been focusing primarily on just building my shit up before lashing out in war efforts.

I wont bore you with the exact details, but despite me attacking Spain first, the cowards had retreated to a series of small islands, so they were the last one I destroyed. Once the entire mainland was under my control, I essentially just rushed the production of a fleet of full-size Battleship units in every coastal city I had by that point, filled each ship or group of ships with the equivalent of an army by itself (I'm talking tanks and advanced infantry by the hundreds here) and essentially just launched all of it in one strike attack against their final city.

It was a big city, since they essentially had the entire game near enough to fortify and prepare for a counter-strike against me.

What followed was a massive naval battle with their pretty expansive fleet, before I had all the ground forces that survived the naval slugfest positioned surrounding their city on 3 sides (the 4th side was water, swarmed by my battleships).

Yeah, that was the "this shit just got real" moment. You know, before I flattened their city to the fucking ground.

=Frost=

Oct 6, 2011
Easily one of the best and well done WTF?!?! moments: Battle of Bruma in Oblivion.

For those that may have just emerged from a rock and never picked up Oblivion, let me lay the scene of the epic battle:

although, idk why you haven't played this game yet

Portals to the underworld, or in this case named Oblivion, have been popping up all across the land (and with the scale of oblivion's map, it's a big deal). Earlier in the game, literally in the first moments, you watch the agents of Oblivion murder the emperor right in front of you. From there, you spend quite a while finding and relocating the new found heir to the throne, collecting information on the new faction which seek to destroy the world, and a lengthy fetch quest to gather the items needed to open a portal to track down the faction's leader.

Then you get it, the precursor to war: the "gather the forces and recruit allies" quest. Ask anyone who has beat this game or at least made it this far and you'll see the spot in where they use to have hair but ended up ripping it out because of how long and tedious this quest is. You must travel to each of the 8 (i think?) major towns and recruit their soldiers to join the fight at Bruma. None will just be a good ally and give troop support; each town will have their own set of oblivion gates that need to close before they give help. I may have shut 15 gates for this quest, each gate taking a good 10 or 15 minutes.

After I come back from my many fights, the game really starts to pick up and you really get the feeling of 'shit's about to go down'. It's in this reguard that the game may do the quiet before the storm the best I've seen a game perform to date. You return to the town of Bruma and ACTUALLY SEE the re enforcements gathered in the town, each having their own tents. As you pass the encampment, you head up the hill to the future king to let him know the allies are gathered and that, in short, you're ready to tear shit up. He gives you the OK to let the countess of Bruma know the battle is coming.

Then you see it, The great Gate to Oblivion. This gate is nearly 10x the size of a normal gate to oblivion. You literally turn your head from the fight and just see this towering portal to hell and you literally just shit bricks. I won't go into what happens in the portal, but you can only imagine. I already gave enough of a spoiler away, so buy the game and play it for yourself. I promise you will not be dissapointed.

As you walk to her keep, the soldiers greet you and you even see some militia men wonder the streets. You tell her of the incoming battle and she unwillingly accepts the incoming doom. She asks to meet with the new Emperor and run over the battleplans again. As you meet with the new emperor again, he literally starts to become the badass an Emperor should be. He literally switched from his monk robes to an intricate, ornate battle armor that literally came from nowhere. HE walks with you, I'll repeat that, he walks with you (as in no cutscenes) to meet the countess. As he walks, people in the streets come and talk about the new emperor walking through the streets. As the two converse infront of you in the chapel, you literally feel the weight of everything getting ready to explode as now the anticipation of a massive fight is about to take place. As she signs the town over to the new Emperor, he turns to you and literally tells you things are about to get crazy.

From there, you leave the chappel and walk towards the battlefield, the citizens lining the streets to cheer you on as you walk. Also a thing to keep in mind, EVERYTHING IS NOT A CUTSCENE, ACTUAL GAMEPLAY! We head down to the battlefield and the men stand in a line. This is where things really get epic. Like Aragorn from Return of the King at the Black Gate, the Emperor walks infront of his men and gives a fairly inspiring speech, all in real time.

Then the battle actually begins. The first portal opens and the usual enemies come out. Not too bad yet, depending on if you actually took the time to gather the re enforcements. Then the next gate to oblivion opens, still not exactly a WTF moment yet, but you can defently feel it coming up. Finally a third gate opens and the full battle comes. There are men dying left and right, surrounded by all sorts of enemies

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Wild Arms 2, I can't even remember half the stuff leading up to it but the main character just transforms again (he had the power to transform once already into this evil knight thing) during the fight with evil people that were going to set off a nuke. you win the battle but they launch the nuke anyway, which happens to be this big robot dragon, guess it destroys the world in it's own way.

Anyway they make the main char stay back because if he keeps on fighting and transforming into that form it will take him over/lose his soul or whatever was the explanation and your party goes off on the deck of your air fortress to catch up and fight giant robo dragon nuke. You have this long drawn out battle, it shows your party pretty much wiped, the dragon fine and the main character gets up sensing his friends are in trouble runs out comes at it in full transformation and you fight it one on one with full power.

And that is not even that close to the end of the game.

Commander of pie

Oct 8, 2011
For me is the borderlands new claptrap's new robot revolution last boss

Is you vs a huge yellow tank thing with 10 turrets a big laser and kamikaze's comeing out of it
and the guy driving it is the same one who "killed" marcus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KO6N_eFU8A

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SecretNegative said:
shrekfan246 said:
The Lich King shouts out that they were indeed, Azeroth's greatest champions, and the paladin and warlock are struck dead, Frostmourne channeling at the souls of the entire party to resurrect them as the Lich King's new Scourge lieutenants. All hope is lost . . . but wait! Tirion, using the power of the Ashbringer, breaks free of his icy tomb and charges the Lich King, destroying Frostmourne! The souls of the people killed at the hands of the Lich King are released to the world, including the soul of the former Arthas Menethil's own father. Terenas Menethil summons the power of the Light from beyond the grave and uses it to resurrect the defeated party, and as the souls of the Lich King's victims swarm around him in anger, the warlock smirks under his cloth hood as it is with great pleasure that he lands the killing blow on the demented undead lord, a final flame cresting over his blackened armor as Arthas Menethil collapses to the ground, defeated, the last thing he sees being the soul of his father telling him that he will finally be able to rest in peace.
Good god, why did you remind me of that? Now I have to either calm myself down by having a wank or screaming in the Blizzard forums fro half an hour.
I mean, Tirion get's trapped in ice, unexplained jumps out of the ice somehow (which is stupid), BREAKS FROSTMOURNE (which is really fucking stupid) and THIS SOMEHOW KILLS THE LICH KING (which is just fucking retarded. And then "there must always be a Lick King", which is the stupidest fucking think I've heard since Michelle Bachmann actually can be a president of the US.

As Yahtzee said: There is no middlefinger, BIG ENOUGH!
Oh, that level of Deus Ex Machina was simply staggering. Most of the people in my guild, after being delighted we finally killed him, started shouting about why Tirion couldn't have broken out before everyone was killed, if he could so easily "summon the light" at the end of the fight.

On the subject of "There must always be a Lich King", I can vaguely see where they're coming from, except that when a person becomes the Lich King they don't really retain much of their humanity, and I don't see how it would be logical for the leaderless Scourge to suddenly start charging en masse to the major cities of the world without any form of commander. Granted, undead probably don't have much logic, but still. If they're not organized, I can't see they'd be more of a threat than the Lich King himself.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
"Oh well I've been kicking everyone else's ass so far so I guess I'll just- OH WHAT THE!?"

Sven_Untgaarde

Jun 14, 2010
In Hitman: Blood Money, on the second non-tutorial mission (Named "Curtains Down"), you have to murder an opera singer and his pedophile friend. I'm not joking, the briefing of the mission says that he's wanted for a prostitution ring he and his opera friend own (I believe).

Anyway, as some of you may know, killing someone in the Hitman games can be as easy as running-and-gunning, or waiting 1 hour and kill them with poison or by strangling them. Obviously, any good player of the game will at least attempt to be as stealthy as possible, so I looked for ways to pull this off. The most obvious way was to find the "Real World War 1" pistol, disguise myself as the executioner in the scene that the actors are practicing, and, when the time comes for the Executioner to "kill" the main character in the scene, I'll actually shoot him with the real gun (Usually, the scene goes off that the executioner has a fake gun, and the main character (one of your targets) will "die" in the play).

I also planted a bomb on the chandelier on the roof of the opera house, because the pedophile runs out and falls right under the chandelier when the Opera Singer dies (because they were good friends, and he's like "OMG He's dead cryingface.jpg")

After many, MANY tries, I finally got to the scene, dressed in the now deceased executioners outfit, holding the real pistol. The scene starts and the music begins, and let me tell you, the music played in that scene was stuck in my head for a month considering how many times I've heard it over and over again.

The "Execution" scene starts, and the time to pull the trigger is upon me. I wait for the woman's voice, and the crescendo of the music, and then shoot the guy. "Objective Complete", i thought.

And then... Epicness ensued.

The music changed for the opera right into this ominous choir with drums (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3t5Xr-Tvc for the song). I think many of you who have played Blood Money would agree that Apocalypse is the best track in the game, and only occurs when a hit goes down quite well.

The pedophile ran out, I detonated the chandelier at the right time, and then walked slowly away to the exit, looking like a F**king boss. That was the moment when I said, "This is my favourite Hitman Game".

If you haven't played Hitman: Blood Money, you are missing out. It is a gem of a game, and can be refreshing in comparison to the Sea of First-Person-Shooters.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Playing Vice City.

Final portion of the mission G-spotlight. the previous sections i had done awesomely and then I started failing. Over and over.

Pretty soon I was about to give up. Then suddenly.. a wild 99 Luftballons appears on the radio. Suddenly i'm like.. Shit just got real. I drive that section perfectly with just seconds to spare to get the spotlight changed. I felt like a real badass

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Ok, so I'm playing Oblivion, and I had just finished the Anvil Mages Guils quest and was travelling to Chorrol to do the next. I had decided to travel through the wilderness rater than along the roads for a nice change of pace, when I saw a fort and Oblivion gate appear on my compass in roughly the same spot. I decided to check it out, and I found that not only was there a portal right outside of a run-down fort, but an entire legion of Imperial Guards were stationed there to defend it. As I walk closer, Deadra start pouring out of the portal. Big ones that I had never seen until this point, too. Mostly Deadroth (bi-pedal, 8-foot tall alligators that breath fire) with some Clanfears (Kinda like small raptors) and Flame Atronachs (small fire elementals).

I run forward, whip out my bow, and join the Imperial Archers behind a chest-high wall, and get ready for a long fight. I poison an arrow and summon a skeleton guardian, and start targeting the big guys. Unfortunately, the Deadroth were infact over-leveled compared to the guards, and tore through the melee guards easily. Now we're starting to be over-run, archers who had had the poor judgement to venture beyond the wall were being cut down even fasters than the others, and now Clanfears were closing in.

I resummon my skeleton to draw their attention and fall back, shooting poisoned arrows at whatever I could. A couple seconds later, all of the guards are dead and the entire horde is coming after me. I jump on top of a rock to try to get out of their reach, but it only takes the Clanfears a few seconds to find the ramp behind the rock and reach me. I summon the skeleton again, kill the closest Clanfear, and run for the only remaining cover: the half destroyed fort. I reach the ramp of rubble with Deadroth only a couple strides behind me and summon another skeleton to hold the opening. I fire more poison arrows and soon there are only about 3 Deadroth and a Flame Atronach left.

Just then the skeleton collapses and I ahve to fall back. I notice that there is a massive pit in the middle of the fort with a ring that goes nearly the entire way around it. Running, I fire more arrows and kill the Atronach and one of the remaining Deadroth, and that's when inspiration struck. I baited the Deadroth in towards a collapsed portion of the outer ring and jumped it at the last second. The Deadroth leaped into the pit and, despite their best efforts, were unable to climb out.

Putting away my bow, I reminisced on the battle and how it was so amazing that an epic fight like that had come out of pretty much nowhere. And then I realised that the best part was that Guild Wars 2 is supposed to be exactly like that all the time.

zaly

Mar 16, 2011
Anytime whilst playing Arkham Asylum when you don't get hit during a fight.

The standout was probably the final round of that challenge room with the two massive guys - I have no idea how I did that all in one combo.

Also whilst I did get hit a few times, the bit where you walk down the corridor of about 20 thugs who are sarcastically applauding you and don't actually attack you unless you attack them. When you hit the first one, you suddenly see the rest spring into action and you realize you are just one guy and are vastly outnumbered. But it doesn't matter ... you're Batman!

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
My moment where I forgot I was playing and actually got physically involved was in Fallout 3. I was wandering past Rivet City with Clover and there this is a super mutant camp so we decided to stop by and kick some ass. But at the top of this ramp is a Super Mutant Overlord with a gatling laser and my only long distance was a missle launcher. Without even thinking I actually jumped in front of Clover and took all the bullets, always keeping myself in between them, all while spamming missles at this thing, until finally it died.

After I killed it I actually sat back and thought wow, here I am ready to sacrifice myself for a NPC... it just felt too real....

JSF16 said:
New Vegas, Lonesome Road. I'd just finished blasting down yet another Deathclaw and was nursing my disemboweled entrails on the top of an angled, burnt-out bus when yet another Deathclaw came running. Not I'm almost dead with barely any ammo left, but I'm sure he can't run up the narrow bus roof to get me. He stopped by the bottom of the bus and just stared at me while I laughed at him.

Shit, they can go up the roof.
I'm guessing this is on the High Road or something, if so when I was on it there is a empty trailer about 1/4 in where I went inside it and was about to snipe a deathclaw that was far away. Then you feel this thump and hear a growl and you have no clue why, then you just automatically die a few seconds later. It took me 2 deaths to realize a deathclaw drops onto the trailer youre in then enters and kicks the shit outta you.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
arrapippol said:
Playing Rome: Total War, back in the day...
I was playing as the Brutii (one of the Roman factions), and I had recently captured a city in Asia Minor, and for some reason (can no longer remember why) my big/main army was out of reach. And so in this city I just had 2 battalions of Town Watch, and I was besieged, because this country wanted their province back. So I had just under 160 men, against an army of about 600-700 men (actual soldiers as well).
I put one battallion on the wall, and one battallion behind the gate. My towers got rid of their battering ram (Lucky I had a stone wall, with inbuilt towers), so they had to go by ladder up the wall. So because they could only get in one way, I put all my soldiers there, and I killed just about all the enemies. When the Victory window came up, I was very very relieved and pleased, and BO YAH! 'shit just got real' as you say.
Once that army was gone, I started recruiting another one, and by the time they tried again to get the town back, I had a full army (about 1000 men...). If it weren't for that stand in Pergamum, I probably wouldn't have won that campaign. Then I wouldn't have been able to play as the Greeks!! D:

having had similar moments (about 500 romans, 1500 egyptians, with my losses being 30, while they lost 1300) that's how i realized that ladders in this game are a bunch of b*llsh*t

Timeenforceranubis

Mar 2, 2011
In MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy, when you get the news that the Draconis Combine has stolen the genetic material of Clan Ghost Bear's founders.

Shit just got real in the 31st Century.