Shock Value

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
3,324
264
88
Country
Philippines
Oddly enough, I have seen that video. Except there was milk involved as well.

Loving that "ANAL DEATH ****" shirt though.
 

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
5,034
0
0
Bob_McMillan said:
Loving that "ANAL DEATH ****" shirt though.
Yeah, I thought I was the only one who listened to that band. They're really starting to break through...
 

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
695
0
0
I'm surprised you don't go with the Swedish Goregrind band Anal Aids.
Or the Dutch band Anal Squirt Massacre.
Although maybe the Finnish band Anal Desecrating Penis Mutilation may be more up your alley.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Cool, so this week is Columbine for shock value.

Next I recommend you create a cartoon of Mohammad and Jesus making out in a gay bar. That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.

But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically she already married to him when she was around the age 7 but it was not consummated until her age 9 or 10 when Mohammad was 53). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.

FYI, these are all terrible ideas. But just like you pointed out in the cartoon, you just aren't shocking us until you go all the way. We are of the internet and our values have been shocked to the point of frying.

EDIT: Clarified that Aisha was the one that was 6-7 when married and not Mohammad. An individual Pm'd me thinking that I was talking about Mohammad himself.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,846
1
3
Country
United States
That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?
 

dangoball

New member
Jun 20, 2011
555
0
0
Lightknight said:
That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.
You mean getting shot by extremist nuts? In that case, sure, go for it.
(As the comic itself in not exactly in good taste I believe no one will mind)

OT: Yeah, I can certainly see the joke in there, it just ain't working for me.
 

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
2,729
0
0
Three japanese ladies shitting into the mouth of a fourth puts that newfa-friend off his breakfast?

Guess he's never been to /d/.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
dangoball said:
Lightknight said:
That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.
You mean getting shot by extremist nuts? In that case, sure, go for it.
(As the comic itself in not exactly in good taste I believe no one will mind)

OT: Yeah, I can certainly see the joke in there, it just ain't working for me.
Depends, is their goal to tank Critical Miss to support their spin off series? If so, pissing off everyone imaginable would be the goal.

Then again, they definitely go through cycles of attempting to piss people off. I just don't remember them being this diverse as to incorporate school shootings and whatnot. But maybe I'm wrong. I've only really been following it for a few years now.

From a marketing perspective, if they plan to eventually strike out on their own with the Erin Dies Alone franchise, it would benefit them personally to tank this series. Which may or may not be what they're doing. It may be contractually difficult to prove that Erin Dies Alone isn't part of the Critical Miss franchise that the Escapist has rights to so that may not be the case.

Have they been this overtly offensive for this long of a period in the past? If this is standard fare for Critical Miss then I'm just viewing the antics with ultra-jaded business glasses and that's my fault for dealing with PR for too long. But targeting people who don't like school shootings, people who own AMD cards, people who own consoles, that's a pretty wide net to just happen to coincide with the release of a new Patreon-funded series.
 

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
1,703
0
0
erttheking said:
That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?
I think it's about a theory (or a fact, I dunno) that teens do many things to shock and/or get attention of their parents.
 

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
225
0
0
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?
 

Cowabungaa

New member
Feb 10, 2008
10,806
0
0
yamy said:
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?
I was thinking the same thing. A comic about the internet desentizing us, then trying to grab us with a shock punchline to try to prove its point?

 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
yamy said:
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?
Whoa, as the other poster said, so meta....
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
yamy said:
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?
+1

Lightknight said:
Have they been this overtly offensive for this long of a period in the past? If this is standard fare for Critical Miss then I'm just viewing the antics with ultra-jaded business glasses and that's my fault for dealing with PR for too long. But targeting people who don't like school shootings, people who own AMD cards, people who own consoles, that's a pretty wide net to just happen to coincide with the release of a new Patreon-funded series.
No, they've been attacking various targets forever, the only thing new here is the school-shooting part. People thought the comic was going to die after the WGDF, but it didn't happen, so this won't do it either.
 

Hutzpah Chicken

New member
Mar 13, 2012
344
0
0
Playing with guns for so long, both real and virtual, the idea of being shot at isn't all too scary anymore. The idea of not being allowed to have my own gun with me is a little un-nerving, as I still can't master the Kamehameha...
 

Timedraven 117

New member
Jan 5, 2011
456
0
0
I like the last line. I think it was implying he would have to pierce something lower than his chest. Although the shock value of trying to shoot up a school is both A tacky, and B insulting.
 

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
159
2
23
Country
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
The teenage son isn't very bright. The way to shock a 4chan reader is to be normal and emotionally well adjusted.
 

GabeZhul

New member
Mar 8, 2012
699
0
0
Lightknight said:
But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically already married to him at around age 7 but not consummated until age 9 or 10). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.
That already exists. It's a "satirical" german OELVN that depicts the protagonist traveling back in time (or just hallucinating, or something... it was a bit of a fucked up story) and accidentally getting into an explicitly drawn threesome with Aisha and Mohamed. So yeah, the taboo train has already whistled by on that one (and yet it wasn't even the stupidest or most inflammatory part of that game, taken that it was advocating that pedophilia should be legalized because the kids really love it and that anyone who disagrees is either a hypocrite, fascist or a literal demon...)

Before you ask, I only read it because of a semi-professional obligation, and it was one of the most mind-numbing things I have ever seen, which says volumes taken that I routinely read obscure Japanese sex-romps for reviews already... -.-'
 

Skeleon

New member
Nov 2, 2007
5,410
0
0
That's... not funny. Acting like spree murderers do it for attention... or something? It may sometimes be a factor, I guess, that's what the media keeps saying, but still... gee. Not exactly shocked, just... disappointed.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
lacktheknack said:
Lightknight said:
Have they been this overtly offensive for this long of a period in the past? If this is standard fare for Critical Miss then I'm just viewing the antics with ultra-jaded business glasses and that's my fault for dealing with PR for too long. But targeting people who don't like school shootings, people who own AMD cards, people who own consoles, that's a pretty wide net to just happen to coincide with the release of a new Patreon-funded series.
No, they've been attacking various targets forever, the only thing new here is the school-shooting part. People thought the comic was going to die after the WGDF, but it didn't happen, so this won't do it either.
I'm not referring to this comic as a one off. I'm referring to a series of offensive comics specifically targetting various groups. Console gamers -> Computer Gamers (also People who don't like gargantuan penis comics I suppose), -> More computer gamers and the poor -> People who don't like school shootings.

That's just the past couple weeks. Do their more "offensive" cycles usually target such a large swathe of people?

GabeZhul said:
Lightknight said:
But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically already married to him at around age 7 but not consummated until age 9 or 10). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.
That already exists. It's a "satirical" german OELVN that depicts the protagonist traveling back in time (or just hallucinating, or something... it was a bit of a fucked up story) and accidentally getting into an explicitly drawn threesome with Aisha and Mohamed. So yeah, the taboo train has already whistled by on that one (and yet it wasn't even the stupidest or most inflammatory part of that game, taken that it was advocating that pedophilia should be legalized because the kids really love it and that anyone who disagrees is either a hypocrite, fascist or a literal demon...)

Before you ask, I only read it because of a semi-professional obligation, and it was one of the most mind-numbing things I have ever read, and I routinely read obscure Japanese sex-romps for reviews already... -.-'
Well, gross, didn't know that already existed.

I was making the recommendation satirically rather than really recommending it. As they stated in this comic, their intent is to rile and so my point was that this is small potatoes compared to what they could be doing.
 

flying_whimsy

New member
Dec 2, 2009
1,077
0
0
I guess I just don't frequent those dark places of the internet: I'm shocked.

This reminds me of that thread the other day about whether it bothered people to see videos of real death and one guy just did not give a shit. It bugs the hell out of me.

Then again, I've always been called 'sensitive'.

Edit: I'm offended, but in way do I want the comic or the makers of it to be penalized. It's art, and like all art, it doesn't hurt to be provocative.
 

MCerberus

New member
Jun 26, 2013
1,168
0
0
EDA is handling the plot, meaning Critical Miss has free reign to go into a gutter and snipe at people.

Also, so meta it evolves into a Hipster Butterfree
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
MCerberus said:
EDA is handling the plot, meaning Critical Miss has free reign to go into a gutter and snipe at people.

Also, so meta it evolves into a Hipster Butterfree
As their patreon page discusses, the Escapist has rights to critical Miss and could fire the creators if they so desired and have Critical Miss continued via different artists and writers.

This is the entire reason for why they created "Erin dies alone" and had it funded through Patreon so they could produce a work that isn't Escapist own should they leave the Escapist.

Basically, they are using the Escapist to publicize a second series as a means to keep on going.

The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.

The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to. This would be like the creator of Transformers selling his IP and then creating a series of movies called "Optimus dies alone". I don't know that the Escapist would give a rats ass about an of this though.
 

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
628
0
0
My only question is...who reads a physical newspaper after 15 years on the internet? Shouldn't the dad just be on a laptop or something? Why haven't we evolved this cliché?
 

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
15,305
0
0
Lightknight said:
The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.
Yes, its not like they make money off of Critical Miss or anything. Besides, even if they were, having a stable income as an artist is overrated.

Lightknight said:
The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to.
They worked this out before the first EDA was published. The artists own everything about EDA. EDA Erin =/= CM Erin
 

88chaz88

New member
Jul 23, 2010
236
0
0
Skatologist said:
My only question is...who reads a physical newspaper after 15 years on the internet? Shouldn't the dad just be on a laptop or something? Why haven't we evolved this cliché?
Because it's funnier. The fact he's sat there stereotypically with a newspaper while claiming he's from the internet not creates a surreal image. It makes the statement funnier as it's unexpected. It's also reminiscent of a well known internet meme itself.

It's as if a guy with a CAD avatar started explaining webcomic humour. It's ridiculous.
 

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
4,797
0
0
Lightknight said:
MCerberus said:
EDA is handling the plot, meaning Critical Miss has free reign to go into a gutter and snipe at people.

Also, so meta it evolves into a Hipster Butterfree
As their patreon page discusses, the Escapist has rights to critical Miss and could fire the creators if they so desired and have Critical Miss continued via different artists and writers.

This is the entire reason for why they created "Erin dies alone" and had it funded through Patreon so they could produce a work that isn't Escapist own should they leave the Escapist.

Basically, they are using the Escapist to publicize a second series as a means to keep on going.

The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.

The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to. This would be like the creator of Transformers selling his IP and then creating a series of movies called "Optimus dies alone". I don't know that the Escapist would give a rats ass about an of this though.


Let me get this straight, if I've read this correctly you honestly believe that Grey and Cory are purposely tanking their successful comic as some sort of pseudo-promotion of their new comic?

I mean, this wasn't my favourite CM, but come on.
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
EndlessSporadic said:
Swing and a miss.
A CRITICAL Miss! Thanks for reading! Ah ha, ah ha, ah ha, ah who am I kidding? That wan awful pun.
Still funnier than today's strip, IMO. That last panel feels like a punch line to Family Guy joke from one of the bad seasons. Is that what you guys want? To be compared to FAMILY GUY?!
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
Aw man... All this comic did was make me want some Subway-branded undergarments...

Other than that, did the teen pierce his genitalia yet? If not, then he's just jumping the gun in this situation...
 

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
84
0
0
GabeZhul said:
About that Paedophilia game, just for those don't know, it was made by people from the german version of 4chan and has actually a kind of funky Soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE3aOlNQy84
A buddy made me play cause he finds it to be at some point genious level satire. I did not completly agree with him but find it hard to deny that it was quite witty at some points.
If anyone actually wants to play it, just google "Unteralterbach" and it should pop up. The game also has an english option.

On topic: Jeez guys, I mean I get the joke, but dam that's dark.
 

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
628
0
0
MarsAtlas said:
Lightknight said:
The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.
Yes, its not like they make money off of Critical Miss or anything. Besides, even if they were, having a stable income as an artist is overrated.

Lightknight said:
The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to.
They worked this out before the first EDA was published. The artists own everything about EDA. EDA Erin =/= CM Erin
You know, not to go all doom and gloom or anything, but suppose a certain trilby wearing content creator on this site wanted to go independent. Who would have rights to what? I'm aware CM, The Big Picture, and Escape to the Movies are owned by the site while stuff like the Jimquisition or EDA obviously were not, but I do wonder about ZP sometimes.


88chaz88 said:
Skatologist said:
My only question is...who reads a physical newspaper after 15 years on the internet? Shouldn't the dad just be on a laptop or something? Why haven't we evolved this cliché?
Because it's funnier. The fact he's sat there stereotypically with a newspaper while claiming he's from the internet not creates a surreal image. It makes the statement funnier as it's unexpected. It's also reminiscent of a well known internet meme itself.

It's as if a guy with a CAD avatar started explaining webcomic humour. It's ridiculous.
Oh I was aware of this, I actually enjoy absurd humour qite a bit, I just wanted to pretend to nitpick something that seems rather minute from a strip that literally has a teen planning a school shooting to get his father's attention.
 

Kristoffer Mattila

New member
Mar 28, 2010
98
0
0
Skatologist said:
My only question is...who reads a physical newspaper after 15 years on the internet? Shouldn't the dad just be on a laptop or something? Why haven't we evolved this cliché?
But he's a dad and that's what dads do. Read newspapers all day, every day.
 

DEAD34345

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,929
0
0
Skeleon said:
That's... not funny. Acting like spree murderers do it for attention... or something? It may sometimes be a factor, I guess, that's what the media keeps saying, but still... gee. Not exactly shocked, just... disappointed.
I don't think the comic was making a point about school shootings at all, just a point about shock value. I doubt you were supposed to read that much into it.

OT: Yeah, I totally failed to be remotely shocked or offended by this, which I guess just totally proves the point. What actually did shock me is that the comments here have so far been utterly mundane too. Where are the all-caps death threats?

Is this really the internet or did I get lost somehow?
 

GabeZhul

New member
Mar 8, 2012
699
0
0
Lunncal said:
OT: Yeah, I totally failed to be remotely shocked or offended by this, which I guess just totally proves the point. What actually did shock me is that the comments here have so far been utterly mundane too. Where are the all-caps death threats?

Is this really the internet or did I get lost somehow?
Oh, right, sorry. Let me scratch that itch for ya.

*cough*

YOU DIRTY COMMUNIST KITTY-DIDDLERS! HOW DARE YOU JOKE ABOUT THE INCREDIBLY TOUCHY SUBJECT OF HIPSTER DADS! THAT'S IT! I'M GOING TO GO OUT NOW, GRAB MY KNIFE AND I AM GOING TO EFFIN SHIV ONE OF OUR CHICKENS AND MAKE SOUP OUT OF IT! SOUP!

YOU MADE ME DO IT! IT'S YOOOOOOOUUUUUR FAAAAAAAUUUUUUULT!!!

*cough*

On a different note... Mmmmm... Chicken soup...
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Andy Shandy said:
Let me get this straight, if I've read this correctly you honestly believe that Grey and Cory are purposely tanking their successful comic as some sort of pseudo-promotion of their new comic?

I mean, this wasn't my favourite CM, but come on.
I'm talking about the last few weeks, not today's specifically but as a series of direct attempts to rile up their standard audience. People against school shooting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/13596-New-Xbox-One-Controller-Comic] Their attempt to offend has grown significantly beyond anything I recall in the past. This is why I'm asking if this range of offense is typical. I've heard of some pretty legendary pieces they've run that got people all hot and bothered but from what I understand, there is usually a buffering between them.

Anyways, from a business perspective this makes sense if they are planning on striking out on their own. They have a patreon running that has nearly reached their desired amount. If people jump ship from CM to EDA then that should only support those endeavors.

However, I generally find the cartoons I linked funny. Today was a bit much but not personally offensive the other ones have been pretty humorous and not anything I care about. I'm just postulating about the possibility. The idea that this could be a savvy business move banking on the idea that making CM less enjoyable will elevate EDA as a comic. I have to admit, it is working on me. I am starting to look forward to EDA and not really looking forward to CM as of late.

Sorry if posing the question/scenario frustrated you in some way. But in the college of business I saw case study after case study of successful business practices that looked dumb from the outside but ended up playing out flawlessly by directing their consumers to a new target. This is practically textbook if so. It's most commonly seen when companies are trying to get their consumers to transfer to another more expensive service they also produce.

It looks like from their Patreon page that they are concerned about the possibility of the Escapist firing them and them having nothing to fall back on. That's a very understandable fear. Would I consider something like this were I in their exact shoes? Hmm... probably not. I probably wouldn't produce inferior art on purpose. I don't really see them doing that either now that I think about it. They generally stick to their own values and anyone else be damned. so that's a pretty strong point in the premise I'm presenting being wrong.

MarsAtlas said:
Lightknight said:
The problem is that this creates a conflict of interest. They are minimally invested in keeping Critical Miss going and are motivated to have viewers migrate to their own series.
Yes, its not like they make money off of Critical Miss or anything. Besides, even if they were, having a stable income as an artist is overrated.
Perhaps they are planning to leave anyways. Tanking CM to push their new IP would provide more stable ground for the move. If the CM creators are upset with the Escapist over the way GamerGate went down then this isn't a stretch to imagine.

On the other hand their Patreon confirms that they have no desire to stop producing CM. So as I've been stating, I could just be entirely jaded about this. If I were a betting man, I'd most likely bet on me being wrong or not bet at all. The hallmarks are there for this to be a concern.

Lightknight said:
The only problem I'd point out is that Erin could be considered a Critical Miss character and this spin off could be considered part of the franchize that the Escapist already has rights to.
They worked this out before the first EDA was published. The artists own everything about EDA. EDA Erin =/= CM Erin
They worked out an agreement with the Escapist regarding an IP they own? If so then they're in the clear. If not then there's still a potential issue.
 

Def25

New member
Feb 24, 2015
27
0
0
If you want to shock people show some cleaveage and make a trans joke.

For some reason that thing is more effective than school shootings atleast in the internet.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,165
155
68
Shouldn't be there a third one with long hair, pale skin and saying "I hate you all"?


Or is it too subtle?
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
6,634
1,281
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Lightknight said:
FYI, these are all terrible ideas. But just like you pointed out in the cartoon, you just aren't shocking us until you go all the way. We are of the internet and our values have been shocked to the point of frying.
Well, they could always bring back WGDF and watch the world burn.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Dalisclock said:
Lightknight said:
FYI, these are all terrible ideas. But just like you pointed out in the cartoon, you just aren't shocking us until you go all the way. We are of the internet and our values have been shocked to the point of frying.
Well, they could always bring back WGDF and watch the world burn.
They hinted that they were going to recently. That's the only massive controversy I really remember.
 

nyysjan

New member
Mar 12, 2010
231
0
0
Hilarious until the last panel, which just made me sigh and erase it from my mind to make the joke better.

Still, one of the funnier ones of Critical Miss (that seems to be pretty hit and miss with its jokes with me).
 

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
2,581
0
0
If anything, the comic made me wonder why we have so many attention-seeking hellions around, now. Don't most parents give plenty of opportunities for their kids to actually blow off steam or express themselves? Like, I dunno, suppertime debates or constructive hobbies?

That said, yeah. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if one of my relatives told me they're looking to transition and are also secret Wiccans who would rather focus on animistic beliefs. I think the moon could turn into a giant chocolate bunny that I'd be all "Oh, okay."

Until the tidal shifts hit us, that is. At which point we'd all be screwed.
 

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
4,368
0
0
BlackIronGuardian said:
Is Anal Death **** a band?
Nope. But Anal **** and Death are both metal or punk bands, and there is probably some band out there called Anal Death or Death ****, so it works. :p
 

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
15,305
0
0
Think I'm done with you guys. I get what you're trying to do, kinda, but its not for me. GLHF.
 

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
15,305
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
EndlessSporadic said:
Swing and a miss.
A CRITICAL Miss!


Skatologist said:
You know, not to go all doom and gloom or anything, but suppose a certain trilby wearing content creator on this site wanted to go independent.
I would assume that Yahtzee owns ZP, since IIRC he ran it before he was a part of The Escapist.

Lightknight said:
You know if you just watch Grey's twitter feed, most of the jokes can be seen there before they're made into a comic. Most of the jokes made into strips don't even really attract any attention. The only time his tweets get more than a dozen favourites are when he says something about the industry, eg "I've seen libertarians defend the sale of heroin, but never one ever defend Dungeon Keeper Mobile", so you can't even really say he's testing the waters for how the jokes will be received. They're pretty much just whatever jokes he thinks can fit into comic form.
 

Sleepy Sol

New member
Feb 15, 2011
1,831
0
0
Colour Scientist said:
BlackIronGuardian said:
Is Anal Death **** a band?
If it isn't, I call dibs.

We're gonna be a ukelele folk ensemble.
How about being a Fleetwood Mac cover band? That sounds pretty apropos for a name like Anal Death ****.
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
Lightknight said:
Andy Shandy said:
Let me get this straight, if I've read this correctly you honestly believe that Grey and Cory are purposely tanking their successful comic as some sort of pseudo-promotion of their new comic?

I mean, this wasn't my favourite CM, but come on.
I'm talking about the last few weeks, not today's specifically but as a series of direct attempts to rile up their standard audience. People against school shooting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/13596-New-Xbox-One-Controller-Comic] Their attempt to offend has grown significantly beyond anything I recall in the past. This is why I'm asking if this range of offense is typical. I've heard of some pretty legendary pieces they've run that got people all hot and bothered but from what I understand, there is usually a buffering between them.
Its called having a sense of humor.

Also, this one wasnt about school shooting, or about people against school shooting, in the last panel for the joke to work ("I'm running out of things to get pierced, Dave") it had to be them doing something shocking to drive the point of the rest of the comic home. It doesnt matter what it is and in no way is it about standing against something, it could be a variety of things as long as it was something that could be considered shocking (and as most comments in here show, this isnt even shocking in a webcomic, we are already like the dad in the comic).

So yeah, it seems like the lack of sense of humor blurs the point of the actual joke, something that also recently happened with Pillars of Eternity where the joke was at the expense of the "Hero in bed" and yet some people thought that the transgender was the one being mocked.
 

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
628
0
0
MarsAtlas said:
Lightknight said:
You know if you just watch Grey's twitter feed, most of the jokes can be seen there before they're made into a comic. Most of the jokes made into strips don't even really attract any attention. The only time his tweets get more than a dozen favourites are when he says something about the industry, eg "I've seen libertarians defend the sale of heroin, but never one ever defend Dungeon Keeper Mobile", so you can't even really say he's testing the waters for how the jokes will be received. They're pretty much just whatever jokes he thinks can fit into comic form.
Speaking of twitter, I think senpai noticed someone:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/582946823515480064]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/582946942625304576]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/582961311300132864]


Note: I actually don't necessarily agree with these condescending sentiments made by Grey on twitter. I am however favoriting all of them while simultaneously thinking such a view seems heavily conspiratorial
 

BlackIronGuardian

New member
Dec 26, 2008
409
0
0
Colour Scientist said:
BlackIronGuardian said:
Is Anal Death **** a band?
If it isn't, I call dibs.

We're gonna be a ukelele folk ensemble.
Ah, I really wanted to use it for my college acapella team. It's been a while since we've been to regionals, but a new year and a new name could have really made a difference.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Skatologist said:
MarsAtlas said:
Lightknight said:
You know if you just watch Grey's twitter feed, most of the jokes can be seen there before they're made into a comic. Most of the jokes made into strips don't even really attract any attention. The only time his tweets get more than a dozen favourites are when he says something about the industry, eg "I've seen libertarians defend the sale of heroin, but never one ever defend Dungeon Keeper Mobile", so you can't even really say he's testing the waters for how the jokes will be received. They're pretty much just whatever jokes he thinks can fit into comic form.
Speaking of twitter, I think senpai noticed someone:



[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/582946823515480064]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/582946942625304576]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/582961311300132864]


Note: I actually don't necessarily agree with these condescending sentiments made by Grey on twitter. I am however favoriting all of them while simultaneously thinking such a view seems heavily conspiratorial
I don't think Grey was being condescending at all. He had the courtesy to comment on what I admitted was an easily dismissible idea (but I didn't have any information to dismiss it) and he did so generally politely considering the epic burn tools at his disposal. He didn't owe me any kind of response and yet he did comment on it and now I know thanks to him.

So he's saying that the Escapist is paying them enough to make Critical Miss their priority. If that's true then that tanks the theory altogether so long as EDA isn't intended to replace revenue should they leave. But they are only looking for $1,500 per month on Patreon which isn't much to live on for two people. Honestly, if they made a ton more and were able to do their own things more regularly then that would only give us more of the content we've come to look forward to.

Also, like stated, the controversy they're generating on Critical Miss with these is more likely to generate more views of these comics at least in the short term. I've got to assume that long time fans of the series are similar to me, in that getting burned once or twice by the comic is just part of the relationship they've created and well worth it. So the readership composition may not be as elastic with change as other industries present.

So maybe they're pulling out the big guns as a means to draw in readership and also advertise EDA at the same time. In that interpretation, The Escapist, Critical Miss, and EDA all win. It's not unlike the practice of click bait title in the industry as far as bringing in views but in this case its art and in a far more agreeable place than mere misleading and provocative title wording. Maybe this is actually an example of them trusting their fans to not get all butt hurt. That's a nice thought.

Hmm, that is the more likely and far less conspiracy theorist option. So that's my go to at the moment. The timing of the Patreon in addition to the other goings on at the Escapist (like with so many other sites right now) just had me worried that I was about to lose a comic I enjoy even if I see other people hating it. Hopefully I didn't offend the content creators with the theory I was presenting. It seems like I more perplexed them.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
josemlopes said:
Lightknight said:
Andy Shandy said:
Let me get this straight, if I've read this correctly you honestly believe that Grey and Cory are purposely tanking their successful comic as some sort of pseudo-promotion of their new comic?

I mean, this wasn't my favourite CM, but come on.
I'm talking about the last few weeks, not today's specifically but as a series of direct attempts to rile up their standard audience. People against school shooting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/13596-New-Xbox-One-Controller-Comic] Their attempt to offend has grown significantly beyond anything I recall in the past. This is why I'm asking if this range of offense is typical. I've heard of some pretty legendary pieces they've run that got people all hot and bothered but from what I understand, there is usually a buffering between them.
Its called having a sense of humor.

Also, this one wasnt about school shooting, or about people against school shooting, in the last panel for the joke to work ("I'm running out of things to get pierced, Dave") it had to be them doing something shocking to drive the point of the rest of the comic home. It doesnt matter what it is and in no way is it about standing against something, it could be a variety of things as long as it was something that could be considered shocking (and as most comments in here show, this isnt even shocking in a webcomic, we are already like the dad in the comic).

So yeah, it seems like the lack of sense of humor blurs the point of the actual joke, something that also recently happened with Pillars of Eternity where the joke was at the expense of the "Hero in bed" and yet some people thought that the transgender was the one being mocked.
For sure, it is just a joke. You know it and I know it.

My theory (now disregarded) was regarding the reception of the larger audience that seems to take vocal offense at anything that's offensive. I couldn't care less if the comic literally was about school shootings. They're artists and it's their prerogative. Something being a joke about any group of people doesn't discredit it's legitimacy. Being included in jokes really just makes you part of the group depending on whether or not there is also mutual respect when it isn't a joke.

But people taking offense about something? So fucking what? I'm sure you'll agree with that sentiment and the commonly posted meme below.

http://www.titaniumteddybear.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/stephen-fry-on-being-offended.jpg

So please understand. My theory wasn't by any means to say that the writers and artists are doing anything wrong. Far from it. Just theorizing about the business behind such things in light of how they may make the general reader feel. It all could have happened organically as part of the creative process or it could have any one of several motivations behind it. We'd never know unless they tell us and artists don't really owe us a single explanation about anything.
 

Tarfeather

New member
May 1, 2013
128
0
0
Wow, that is some really great artwork for the dad. Clashes fantastically with the inane things he's saying, well done! (No irony, that's what makes the joke funny for me)
 

Lightspeaker

New member
Dec 31, 2011
934
0
0
MarsAtlas said:
Skatologist said:
You know, not to go all doom and gloom or anything, but suppose a certain trilby wearing content creator on this site wanted to go independent.
I would assume that Yahtzee owns ZP, since IIRC he ran it before he was a part of The Escapist.
To be honest I'd almost say its not worth the Escapist owning the rights to ZP. Because ZP basically IS Yahtzee. So if Yahtzee were to leave I'm not sure that having the rights to the show would do them any good at all; I don't think they can just replace the content creator in that particular case.
 

Tarfeather

New member
May 1, 2013
128
0
0
Lightspeaker said:
MarsAtlas said:
To be honest I'd almost say its not worth the Escapist owning the rights to ZP. Because ZP basically IS Yahtzee. So if Yahtzee were to leave I'm not sure that having the rights to the show would do them any good at all; I don't think they can just replace the content creator in that particular case.
It's more about whether he could leave the Escapist and continue ZP. Generally that seems to be why The Escapist reserves the rights to anything: So the valuable/iconic content creators can't just leave the site and make profits off their iconic stuff (which did admittedly get promoted and supported by the escapist) elsewhere.
 

Toilet

New member
Feb 22, 2012
401
0
0
VanQ said:
Three japanese ladies shitting into the mouth of a fourth puts that newfa-friend off his breakfast?

Guess he's never been to /d/.
That's the least it takes for me to get a half chub.
 

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
"I am from The Internet My Boy" is maybe one of the greatest quote I ever heared recently.
All the future parents around the world must memorise this to use it to their children.
 

Ohlookit'sMatty

New member
Sep 11, 2008
951
0
0
Man, this one got dark at the end, & if you're running out of placces to get pierced you're just nothing thinking creatively enough

-M
 

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
888
0
0
I found this unironically funny.

Nothing more to say really, just thought I'd say something different for once
 

Lazule

New member
Oct 11, 2013
131
0
0
LOL! This is the darkest blackest humor comic you will ever see in Critical Miss. Nice hahahahahahahah.
 

Eggsnham

New member
Apr 29, 2009
4,054
0
0
And thus, I awaken from my hibernation:

Was funny. Don't even care about the sociopolitical implications, it made me laugh, as is most often the point with humor.
 

Edl01

New member
Apr 11, 2012
255
0
0
Mister K said:
erttheking said:
That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?
I think it's about a theory (or a fact, I dunno) that teens do many things to shock and/or get attention of their parents.
Actually I'm pretty sure the comic is mocking the fact that because of how much time we on the Escapist have spent on the internet we are no longer offended by the final panel. It's quite Meta.
Ironically I think people who are offended have kinda missed the joke...