Shock Value

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Oddly enough, I have seen that video. Except there was milk involved as well.

Loving that "ANAL DEATH ****" shirt though.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Bob_McMillan said:
Loving that "ANAL DEATH ****" shirt though.
Yeah, I thought I was the only one who listened to that band. They're really starting to break through...

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I'm surprised you don't go with the Swedish Goregrind band Anal Aids.
Or the Dutch band Anal Squirt Massacre.
Although maybe the Finnish band Anal Desecrating Penis Mutilation may be more up your alley.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Cool, so this week is Columbine for shock value.

Next I recommend you create a cartoon of Mohammad and Jesus making out in a gay bar. That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.

But be warned, once you go there you're pretty much unable to top that unless you also want to depict Mohammad with his 9 year old wife Aisha (technically she already married to him when she was around the age 7 but it was not consummated until her age 9 or 10 when Mohammad was 53). That way you can include pederasty to the list of shocking depictions. Just think about it, you could depict him playing with her in the park and someone telling him he has a cute daughter then him outraged that they talked about his wife that way.

FYI, these are all terrible ideas. But just like you pointed out in the cartoon, you just aren't shocking us until you go all the way. We are of the internet and our values have been shocked to the point of frying.

EDIT: Clarified that Aisha was the one that was 6-7 when married and not Mohammad. An individual Pm'd me thinking that I was talking about Mohammad himself.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Lightknight said:
That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.
You mean getting shot by extremist nuts? In that case, sure, go for it.
(As the comic itself in not exactly in good taste I believe no one will mind)

OT: Yeah, I can certainly see the joke in there, it just ain't working for me.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Three japanese ladies shitting into the mouth of a fourth puts that newfa-friend off his breakfast?

Guess he's never been to /d/.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
dangoball said:
Lightknight said:
That should achieve what you're looking for in this comic.
You mean getting shot by extremist nuts? In that case, sure, go for it.
(As the comic itself in not exactly in good taste I believe no one will mind)

OT: Yeah, I can certainly see the joke in there, it just ain't working for me.
Depends, is their goal to tank Critical Miss to support their spin off series? If so, pissing off everyone imaginable would be the goal.

Then again, they definitely go through cycles of attempting to piss people off. I just don't remember them being this diverse as to incorporate school shootings and whatnot. But maybe I'm wrong. I've only really been following it for a few years now.

From a marketing perspective, if they plan to eventually strike out on their own with the Erin Dies Alone franchise, it would benefit them personally to tank this series. Which may or may not be what they're doing. It may be contractually difficult to prove that Erin Dies Alone isn't part of the Critical Miss franchise that the Escapist has rights to so that may not be the case.

Have they been this overtly offensive for this long of a period in the past? If this is standard fare for Critical Miss then I'm just viewing the antics with ultra-jaded business glasses and that's my fault for dealing with PR for too long. But targeting people who don't like school shootings, people who own AMD cards, people who own consoles, that's a pretty wide net to just happen to coincide with the release of a new Patreon-funded series.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
erttheking said:
That's...um. That's...it's...something.

I guess I get the joke...kinda.

What's this about again?
I think it's about a theory (or a fact, I dunno) that teens do many things to shock and/or get attention of their parents.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
yamy said:
Isn't the fact that the school-shooting joke on the last panel barely shocked me itself an interesting commentary on how we've become so desensitised to so many things because of the internet?
I was thinking the same thing. A comic about the internet desentizing us, then trying to grab us with a shock punchline to try to prove its point?