Shocker: Nobody Bought 360 Faceplates

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
Never got one because I thought it looked too complicated to put on...

Wouldn't mind a customizable one, the faceplates they have are so bland...

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I think I changed my 360 faceplate once, but that was because my stock plate was damaged and one of the games I bought came with one, so it was a win/win for me. But I think people didn't buy faceplates because they were a useless addition and more people were worried over the RRoD and the last thing they wanted to do was to make a potential lemon look slightly better.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
manythings said:
For $30 it better be Jesus giving a Velociraptor an uppercut.
I would have bought that faceplate.

There were third party companies out there that did make customised faceplates, but they were very expensive. The only faceplates they sold around where I live are ones for certain AFL teams (Australian Football League) and some football (soccer) teams.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
It couldn't have helped that the designs weren't that great and it was just the faceplate, leaving the rest of the console in plain white (and later black for the elites). Although this is the first time I've seen that one with the green circles around the power button, that one is actually decent.

manythings said:
If you got a red-ring would you get it back with your faceplate?
You were supposed to remove the faceplate before sending your console in.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
The faceplate idea was mainly ruined by the fact that they covered only the front face, whilst very few gamers have their 360 set up in a perfectly fitted cabinet - if you can see where the curved wood-effect surface juts up against plain white sides it looks lame and that was the reality faced by most gamers.

It should be noted that the most successful phones for selling faceplates were actually selling full cases - think Nokia 3310 (iirc, the biggest selling phone ever) where you swapped out the front AND back.

The basic failure of the faceplates was pretty much just that, they failed to be basic. People like to have some variety in the colours of their phones, games consoles, furniture, whatever. But Microsoft never tried to offer that, never laid the groundwork by saying "so we made a £300, white games console, but for £15 you could make it black, or red, or blue". Simple is under-rated.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'd buy one if I had some spare money. Unfortunately I used my spare $30 to buy three different GoG.com games.

I like the one that just says, 'console'. 'What is this strange thing near your television set?' 'It's a... console.' 'WHOA'

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I ended up getting a Halo 3 one. Not a bad little design but when my original 360 went terminal, I retired the plate. My current 360 is a plain-old white.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I got a custom face plate...
It let you print out whatever image you wanted and put it on the front. My 360 is a lava lamp right now.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Ironically I think I may pick one up sometime soon now that their 3-5 dollars.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Maybe if the faceplates included anti-Red Ring properties, and gave out epic high-fives from a robot dinosaur.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Snotnarok said:
They were so god damn expensive who the hell would buy it? Accessories within REASON PEOPLE.
I got a faceplate, except it came with Ace Combat 6 with the flight stick and whatever .
Man, you can't say that first sentence and then go on to say that you bought a $150 joystick for one game* (which is a nastier, more plasticky version of a PC joystick that costs half as much).

* Yeah, there may have been other flight games since, but there's also been other, more sanely priced Xbox joysticks since as well.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
manythings said:
If you got a red-ring would you get it back with your faceplate?

EDIT: For $30 it better be Jesus giving a Velociraptor an uppercut.
they tell you to remove all custom faceplates.

I got a free one with Ace Combat 6. It's the only one I have and I've never used it. The difference between mobiles and the XBox is that the faceplate covers a good chunk of the visible surface of the phone, as opposed to almost none of the visible surface of the 360. Especially that whole "faux wood grain" thing. It looks dumb to have that fake grain face with the rest being white (Or black in the case of the new ones).

And for the price, which I've seen them priced over 50 bucks for faceplates, they are ridiculous. Microsoft overpriced their accessories and while they can get away with it with HDDs and other "necessities," there's no way this would fly.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
JemJar said:
The basic failure of the faceplates was pretty much just that, they failed to be basic. People like to have some variety in the colours of their phones, games consoles, furniture, whatever. But Microsoft never tried to offer that, never laid the groundwork by saying "so we made a £300, white games console, but for £15 you could make it black, or red, or blue". Simple is under-rated.
Right, for my old 360 all I wanted was a red faceplate, and I had to scour the Internet for it. Then I got a red vinyl skin for the rest of the console, but of course the stupid thing died on me shortly afterwards.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Snotnarok said:
They were so god damn expensive who the hell would buy it? Accessories within REASON PEOPLE.
I got a faceplate, except it came with Ace Combat 6 with the flight stick and whatever .
Man, you can't say that first sentence and then go on to say that you bought a $150 joystick for one game* (which is a nastier, more plasticky version of a PC joystick that costs half as much).

* Yeah, there may have been other flight games since, but there's also been other, more sanely priced Xbox joysticks since as well.
The joystick actually works really well and works on PC and 360 so I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Plus I got a gamestop discount with my friend so I didn't pay full price either way.

Also it works with any game you use it with on 360, so I played HAWX with it and Ace Combat 6, and there's another Ace Combat on the way. And comparing this thing vs the HAWX joystick isn't even a competition this thing stomps it big time. Have you even used it? It's gigantic, it comes in two parts for control and throttle.