Shocker: Nobody Bought 360 Faceplates

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I have about 20 different face plates and about three dozen sets of the vinyl decal sets for the 360 and about a dozen vinyl decal sets for my DS Phat. I didn't buy any of them since my friend is the manager of Gamestop and his brother is the manager of another used game store. the only set I use is the red spider web design one for my blue DS, it gives it a Spider-Man look.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I would buy one if I could:

A: make a custom design

and

B: actually replaced the case of the system, as opposed to just adding on to it, which makes it heavier and heat up easier.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I'm a PC/PS3 gamer, but I'd just like to say I always thought the XBox faceplates looked hot, just like PC paintjobs, and if they had them for the PS3 I might get one. Shame on Xbox owners for not getting them and supporting a cool idea.

I'm sure you can still get them on Ebay. It would probably have to be a Frazetta barbarian, or something like that, for me to be interested. And probably you can barely see them from the couch, so maybe they were unpopular because the designs just sucked.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My opinions are the same as those other others, the price for something like this was ridiculous.

I can see where the industry was coming from though, because if it succeeded they would have been making a fortune for a few pieces of snap-on plastic.

I also tend to have trouble sticking with one game for a huge amount of time, and truthfully there aren't any current games I love so much that I'd want to see it's logo/artwork every time I go to turn on my 360.

If the gaming industry wants to do something like this, I could see them perhaps making custom cases for the console systems somehow (though finding an easy way any goober can transfer components is going to be a chore), something like that might catch on like it did for home computers, especially if they set reasonable prices (computer cases being one of the most inflated components out there).

Edsabre

Nov 16, 2010
They weren't really worth spending money, but I have one that I got for pre-ordering Eternal Sonata and I love that thing.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
manythings said:
If you got a red-ring would you get it back with your faceplate?

EDIT: For $30 it better be Jesus giving a Velociraptor an uppercut.
No. You have to take it off before sending it in otherwise they just keep it for some reason. Like they aren't responsible enough to fucking keep track of something that is fucking attached to the damn xbox. Same goes for a hard drive, Though I can see much better incendtive for not trusting them with a hard drive.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
sunami88 said:
Not only were they expensive, they were ugly. I don't think I ever saw one I really wanted to buy (for any price).
Exactly. Especially since old 360s just came in white, so if you put a faceplate of any other color on there...well you know when you see an old car where one of the doors or the bumper or something is a different color because obviously the original one got destroyed in an accident and they got a replacement from a scrapyard? It gives it that kind of look.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Strange about these // Well I've had the same Dead Rising faceplate since the 360 came out& I'm going to change it anything soon

-M

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
whycantibelinus said:
manythings said:

No. You have to take it off before sending it in otherwise they just keep it for some reason. Like they aren't responsible enough to fucking keep track of something that is fucking attached to the damn xbox. Same goes for a hard drive, Though I can see much better incendtive for not trusting them with a hard drive.
More like you ship the one that red ringed and they ship you one they already fixed. That is the reason why the hard drive and the faceplate should be removed.
They do not ship back the one you send(or else the one i got back wouldn't have a much noisier fan).

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, call me when they were as awesome as these:

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The two things holding them back were the terrible designs and absurd price points.
Like the wood one for instance. Okay cool, my faceplate looks like an untreated 40 year old pine floor of a cabin.

Even if it didn't look awful, it doesn't blend at all into the smooth, featureless white plastic of the rest of the console.

One last flaw with their reasoning. While faceplates were all the rage with cellphones, you actually spend time looking AT the cell phone. You dial in numbers, text on the key pad, do shit on the screen, etc. With the 360 except for when you need to put a disc in, you aren't going to just stand there gazing at it. Hell, with the remote turn on you don't even need to press the power button.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
The ones out in the general market were overly expensive and had overly bland designs (though, the custom market produced some killer faceplates).

The only one I ever bought for my 360 was a DIY kit, two pieces of plastic where you could print what you wanted as your faceplate and put it between. Which I never got to use because the day after I bought it, my 360 RRoD'd and when I purchased a new one (since at the time MS was still in denial about there being a problem... and I was hung up on by customer service a few times for getting rather angry at this fact) I re-cased it immediately in a crystal case with no faceplate customization possible (in the thought that heat was the issue and the third-party case had better airflow... turned out wrong, since that one RRoD'd a few years after....)

I'm just glad I had a shell left after my next to latest 360 E74'd on me (...again before MS was ready to own up to there being a problem... again after being hung up on by customer service for getting mouthy because they were unwilling to do anything about it) for me to put my Death Smiles faceplate on =P since I bought that game with the new slim system haha.. bad timing on Aksys's part...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is weird... why would anyone buy potentially more than one alternate faceplate.... even if you got one for each day of the week...... who gives a damn. The only way this was going to sell is if there was any kind of compulsory need to buy one that was produced by MS itself. This was just terrible marketing. The guy who came up with this can jump in the unemployment line with the CEO of EA Games. I'll take his job, my suggesting is different colored dog crap to wipe on the side of the your system, it's way better because then you get to be artistic and creative and no two 360's will ever look the same. Cool, now pay me $100k a year. :)

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I never bought them do to the price. Granted the only one I really wanted was the limited run for Bioshock...

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
D Moness said:
whycantibelinus said:
manythings said:

More like you ship the one that red ringed and they ship you one they already fixed. That is the reason why the hard drive and the faceplate should be removed.
They do not ship back the one you send(or else the one i got back wouldn't have a much noisier fan).
It depends whats wrong with it. I have had my 360 break about four times in four years and twice I got a new the other two times they sent back the old one "revamped" or whatever. I decided to hell with it and started taking it to a repair shop in town who fixes it for $40, will customize the lights and stuff, and it doesn't take a damn month it takes an hour and a half. Before you say that voids warranty, yes it does void it but my xbox was already out of warranty and Microsoft would have charged me $100 plus shipping for them to do less than these guys do for $40 and an hour and a half, and I can leave my hard drive on it.

Microsoft is stupid anyway but I don't see why they can't keep track of things that are easily kept track of, they literally make no effort whatsoever to do so.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
People bring cell phones with them wherever they go. I know there are exceptions, but most XBoxes are stationary things. So it's not a fashion accessory, and given the limited and blah number of options they offered, it's not really a "home decor" option, either. Probably the most most people hope for from their XBox is that it be relatively innocuous.

I mean, c'mon, guys. Did you notice most people don't buy custom faceplates for their stereos or DVD players, either?

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Of course nobody bought the damn things. People buy cell phone face plates because CELLPHONES ARE PORTABLE!

To quote Gabe from Penny-Arcade: "Your [Oblivion] horse is retarded! No one will ever know you have it! You can't ride that shit through Ironforge!"

Fronzel said:
"The idea wasn't bad,"
"It turned out nobody bought it."
Yes, the idea was bad.
Well, it's possible to have a good idea with very bad marketing. You might be right in this case though.