"Shocking" Pokemon Announcement Coming Next Week

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
"Shocking" Pokemon Announcement Coming Next Week

Nintendo announced it has big and "shocking" Pokemon news for fans on August 26.

Nintendo and the Pokemon Company will announce a "shocking new project from Pokemon on August 26, according to a NicoNico [http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pokefamifeat/].

The stream will be live on August 26 at 10 pm JST (9 am EST/6 am PST). In attendance will be Pokemon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara, voice actor Nobuhiko Okamoto, voice actress Aoi Yuuki (Iris from Pokemon: Black and White anime), and two unannounced special guests.

There are no hints as to what the new project could be. teased at last year's Pokemon Game Show [http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/17/shocking-new-pokemon-project-announced-tuesday/]. We haven't heard much about it since, and Nintendo could release a Wii U Pokemon game akin to Pokemon Colosseum.

Last year the Pokemon Company also revealed a detective game starring Pikachu [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129085-Next-Pokemon-Title-is-a-Detective-Game-With-Pikachu]. If we're going by the basis of puns, the new "shocking" project will have something to do with Pikachu, and could be the detective game.

A TV feature showed off the demo last October. Pikachu will be able to mimic human facial gestures and face off against an evil Pikachu. Last year Ishihara was concerned the game could damage Pikachu's popularity as he does not expect people to like the enemy Pikachu.

Whatever the announcement reveals, we won't know until next Tuesday, August 26.

Source: NicoNico [http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pokefamifeat/]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is there someone we can complain to if it turns out we aren't shocked by whatever it is this is about?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
roseofbattle said:
Last year Ishihara was concerned the game could damage Pikachu's popularity as he does not expect people to like the enemy Pikachu.
I'm sorry, WHAT!?!

At this point Pikachu is akin to a deity, he is neither good nor evil, he has and always will be a tiny sack of cuteness with the power to propel people into the stratosphere.

Not to mention, 'bad' or alt versions of established characters are stupidly popular.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO!

...is what I'd love to see.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Maybe we will finally get a huge Pokémon game where all the Pokémon can be caught in one game, with all the regions, and it will be the last Pokémon game ever? Okay the last part is impossible, and the other two parts are unlikely. It could just be an announcement for a WiiU game, or most likely, it will just be a Mega Evolution for Pikachu, because that's shocking!

Really, I don't care at this point, but if it turns out that it could be potentially great, I might consider whatever it is.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
freaper said:
Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO! Pokémon MMO!

...is what I'd love to see.
That would be shocking.

I'd totally get it too, I mean, it's the logical step.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
PunkRex said:
roseofbattle said:
Last year Ishihara was concerned the game could damage Pikachu's popularity as he does not expect people to like the enemy Pikachu.
I'm sorry, WHAT!?!

At this point Pikachu is akin to a deity, he is neither good nor evil, he has and always will be a tiny sack of cuteness with the power to propel people into the stratosphere.

Not to mention, 'bad' or alt versions of established characters are stupidly popular.
And don't forget that there was an 'evil' version of Pikachu in the very first Pokémon movie. Unless the evil Pikachu he is talking about is big on ethnic cleansing there probably isn't much to worry about from the masses.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
An apology for making Celebi an event-only pokémon even though, unlike Mew, it was always meant to be possible to get it. That would be a wonderful, wonderful surprise.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
My guess is that it'll involve an electric yellow rat.

Of course the chances of it being a game are a little more hazy, what with two voice actors confirmed to be there.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Ok then I guess more fuel for the hype train. Nintendo are going from strength to strength recently. I know most of their news over the past couple of years has been that they are making more of there own ip to try and increase sales, but hey its working, and Im not complaining because im looking forward to a new zelda, smash brothers, pokemon ect.

CriticalMiss said:
And don't forget that there was an 'evil' version of Pikachu in the very first Pokémon movie. Unless the evil Pikachu he is talking about is big on ethnic cleansing there probably isn't much to worry about from the masses.
All I can think of now is a Pikachu with a mustache and a top hat, tying a Jigglypuff to the tracks

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Give me a break. Pokemon (or any Nintendo franchise) doesn't do "shocking." They do safe and predictable.

Sep 9, 2007
The only news that could shock me about the Pokemon franchise at this point would be an announcement saying that they are finished with the franchise effective immediately. Anything else? *shrugs* I guess I'll find out next week. :p

That being said, a Pokemon Colosseum game for the WiiU could be interesting. I've only played a little of one of the earlier games at a friends place, but it seems like an interesting spin on the main series.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Unless they're going to announce a return to the original 150, I sincerely doubt ANYTHING Nintendo announces will be shocking. Here's a quick list of things that won't be shocking:
New Pokemon Game, including ones ALREADY ANNOUNCED!
New Pokemon Generation
New Pokemon Cards
New Pikachu related product
Pokemon in Hyrule Warriors
New Pokemon in Smash Bros

Nintendo makes shocking company decisions the same way an amoeba writes poetry. (Hint: They DON'T)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Nothing shocks me anymore apart from maybe electricity, or on the off chance they will include beastial relationships with the players' pokemon in the upcoming whatever game.

roseofbattle said:
This is the most childish fear i have ever heard from an alleged "adult". In a sort of cute way.
Hey, can i possibly keep that Japanese man? Pweeeeaase??

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Like the people above me have said, I sincerely doubt anything they announce will be "shocking". Pokémon has a celebrity-like status in Japan and like the tabloids here in America, "Shocking" is just a buzzword to get you to read/listen to them.

Pokémon MMO is the only thing that would drop my jaw.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Let's keep our fingers crossed for a new Pokemon Snap! Because if the fancy WiiU gamepad is good for something, it's for a photography game. I mean it worked well for Fatal Frame didn't it?
Andy Shandy said:

IT'S TIME! Pokemon horror game, let's go.
Well that's just unsettling.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'd be shocked if they said "Gen 7 won't have a Pikachu knock-off."

Come on, man. Plusle and Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne, I can see a trend. I know I didn't say Marril and Azumarril, but they're water-types, that's enough of a difference to me to let their appearance similarities slide.