Shoot Many Robots Is Exactly What You Think it Is

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Shoot Many Robots Is Exactly What You Think it Is

If only all game titles could be this straightforward.

You might be tempted to think that - because the teaser trailer doesn't show any real data - we don't really know anything about Demiurge Studios' upcoming XBLA/PSN title Shoot Many Robots. But then you look at the game's name, and you realize: Wait a minute, yes we do!

There really is a strange sort of elegance to this approach to game naming. It's very much in the same vein as Pandemic's Destroy All Humans! series - you know what this is all about right from the beginning. It's true that we might not know some of the specifics: How many robots is "Many Robots," and can we do things to them other than shoot them?

Strangely, though, I don't find myself caring all that much. You'd think that more games could benefit from this sort of approach, really? I envision a world where Dead Rising would be Beat Zombies In Nightgowns, Call of Duty reborn as Regenerate Health Behind Walls, and Touhou Project could be Shoot Lasers at Little Girls Wearing Hats.

Take notice, Nintendo. I expect to see Stomp On Koopas hitting shelves this time next year.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/14/shoot-many-robots-proves-theres-truth-in-advertising/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Awesome name, stupid trailer.

I can't wait for the next Gears of War...I mean "Fun Times With The Lancer".

Cookie for the reference.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I think the term is

'ShootManyRobots, it does exactly what it says on the tin'

Obscure British TV commercial reference

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Daemascus said:
I see no robots... How can we destroy something that does not exist?
Well, all the robots have been shot, obviously.

John Funk said:
Touhou Project could be Shoot Lasers at Little Girls Wearing Hats.
Or just cranium accessories in general. Are you the reason why more Touhou stuff has been showing up as of late?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
"Touhou Project could be Shoot Lasers at Little Girls Wearing Hats"

They might get more notice in the west if they did do that no? XD

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
I expected a mention of Gratuitous Space Battles as a game with a similar naming philosophy.

These are good names, but my favorite game name is still Faith and a .45. Did that game get canned?

Edit: ah, looks like it was put on hold [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_and_a_.45].

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Im guessing that Michel Bay directed this trailer. With a gleeful grin and a crate of dynamite.

The name made me laugh out loud, my roommate gave me an odd look.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Wow, that gives me some great ideas for gamenames (you might guess the franchises or genres they are related to)

Break jars to find money
Kill robots and steal their powers
Create character and mess up their social life
Kill every mythologic creature
Steal cars and go nuts

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
randommaster said:
Daemascus said:
I see no robots... How can we destroy something that does not exist?
Well, all the robots have been shot, obviously.

John Funk said:
Touhou Project could be Shoot Lasers at Little Girls Wearing Hats.
Or just cranium accessories in general. Are you the reason why more Touhou stuff has been showing up as of late?
Eh? We've had stuff that actually references Touhou? News to me. :p

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
This has potential, hopefully it's a lighthearted Serious Sam-esque shoot-em-up. But really, I don't think any game with that kind of name is taking itself very seriously, and good thing too.