Shooter of the day: Keio Flying Squadron

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Since I keep up heavily with scrolling shooters. And I know a lot about them, including lesser know titles. I thought I might start a "shooter a day" thing. Where, if I am here often enough, I can do a thread-a-day thing, where I discuss another game as the days go by.

Here is one of the more obscure ones that I am kind of fond of.

Keio Flying Squadron

I'm sure that many of you aren't going to be super fond of it. It somewhat shamelessly stars a girl in a bunny costume.

It also is far from the greatest shooter franchise out there. However, it is a rather overlooked and worthwhile one. If you're a person who is interested in the Sega-CD and Sega Saturn, Keio Flying Squadron are definitely some of the best and little known games that came out for those systems.

The Sega-CD didn't have a great selection of games. So Keio Flying Squadron was definitely a welcome addition. And it was also one of the better and more memorable games for the Sega Saturn, in my opinion. It's faded into obscurity, but I kind of miss Keio Flying Squadron. I had a lot of good times playing this as a kid.

There's like, 3 games in this franchise.

The first game, for the Sega CD, is a pure scrolling shooter. If you're in the mood for a scrolling shooter it is definitely the way to go. The sequel, for the Sega Saturn, is a bit of a diversion from that. It's got some scrolling shooter segments, but is mostly a platforming game. I like both games for different moods. The Sega Saturn version makes you feel like you're actually a part of the universe. While when I'm just in the mood to play a decent shooter, I prefer the first game, for the Sega CD. The PlayStation game is a waste of time, for the most part. It is a lot like playing Monopoly, but just with Keio Flying Squadron characters.

I'm not super fond of the dumb bunny outfit, either. But eh, it's cute and I otherwise like it. I have so many fond memories of it and I miss it. Which is sad because I don't think I'm every going to see another Keio title, and I'm like, the only person I know who knows and loves this game. It certainly isn't a perfect shooter, but it is darned good enough, and definitely again, some of the better titles for the systems they are on.

I think it has a good balance of challenge for beginners or moderate players of the genre.

Also, I really like the soundtrack. It's fun.

If you're interested in taking another look at the Sega CD and Sega Saturn platforms. Definitely give this a look. Though it's a little expensive. I paid a pretty penny to collect copies of these games. I rather hope they show up on the PlayStation Network or something.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
(shrug) i personally prefer the panzer dragoon series if we are talking about shooters on the saturn.

hell, even the shooter arcade mini game in starcraft 2 looks like it is this caliber. although the music does remind me of the original sonic series, so that is a plus

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Hey Lilith have you ever watched Classic Game Room? The guy who makes its favourite genre is shmups and he's done loads of reviews of shmups on the Saturn. I think he'd be right up your street. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone ATM.

OT: the Mega CD one reminds me of something like Parodius for some reason. I'd check it out of I could afford a Mega CD

EDIT: I've got a CGR video now

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Seems like a review, ergo should be in User Reviews section.
Also it would probably be better if you brought up games on systems more then ten people still play, because we can't really be fussed to dig up another old console.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
This is one of my favourite shooters, and probably my most played Mega CD game. I still play keio every so often to this day. Haven't been able to 1cc it yet though. Managed to get to the last level without using a continue.

Wasn't a big fan of the 2nd game on the Saturn. Controls just felt a bit awkward.

This game was released at a time where anime was VERY obscure in the west (or at least it was here in the UK). This made the game very much an oddity. However, it was the anime front cover that attracted me more than anything else.

Anyway, good to see someone else cover a retro, obscure title like this. Every time I've tried talking about retro gaming on this site I get ignored.

It's also good to see another shmup fan at that. And not just Cave shooters either.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Mr.K. said:
Seems like a review, ergo should be in User Reviews section.
Well, in my experience. People have told me I should introduce a new game if people want to talk about it. I didn't mean it so much as a review as an introduction. Because if I just talked about the game, people would be like "I have no idea what you are talking about, what is this?".

Also, I like talking about old and obscure systems. And please don't talk for what this site likes and doesn't. That's the sort of thing that, well...

I don't think the Sega Saturn gets enough love, we should talk about it more, in my humble opinion.
Terramax said:
Anyway, good to see someone else cover a retro, obscure title like this. Every time I've tried talking about retro gaming on this site I get ignored.
I would like to comment on that... but that would create a massive flamewar. I'm attempting to keep a positive outlook on this site's culture right now and maybe even lie to myself about some things. It's... motivation to stick around.

Oh, yeah! Anyway, yeah, it certainly is nice to find other STG/Scrolling shooter fans here. I hope we are more common than we seem. Because it is one of my favourite genres. I don't just like Cave and Touhou and Bullet Hell games, but I tend to like scrolling shooters in general. Given that the Sega-CD only had like, a handful of scrolling shooters, and games in general. For owners of it, like me, it was a godsend.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Given that the Sega-CD only had like, a handful of scrolling shooters, and games in general. For owners of it, like me, it was a godsend.
Indeed. Also, have you played Lords of Thunder for the Mega CD? Fantastic game, fantastic soundtrack.

Jiggy said:
LilithSlave said:
Well, in my experience. People have told me I should introduce a new game if people want to talk about it. I didn't mean it so much as a review as an introduction. Because if I just talked about the game, people would be like "I have no idea what you are talking about, what is this?".
It seems more like a review to me as well. if that's not what you meant I wold suggest not going that much into detail. maybe you just do something like

hi, this is a game I like (Video) has anyone else ever heard of it? Know any games that I might like judgin g on this one?
Accept when I've done that in the past, no one responds. For instance, I recently set up a thread about Gravity Rush. Look how many responses I got:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.378133-Gravity-Rush#14769779

i.e. Zero.

LilithSlave described the game, the system, and the series as a whole. Had it not been for the fact that I already knew most about this series (including the Monopoly/ Mario Party cash in) I would've been very interested in this thread (not to say I'm not already of course)

I don't think the Sega Saturn gets enough love, we should talk about it more, in my humble opinion.
why? i mean, hardly anybody has one, why would they talk about it?
It's a video games console? It has awesome videogames worth talking about. Because it's demise made a significant shift in the gaming industry. Also, if you do talk about it, you might interest other people to check out some fantastic games. These forums are here to share the love of gaming after all.

Plenty of people here talk about their fav PSX, N64 games, etc. Why not the Saturn? Was from the same generation.

Indeed, I'd love to talk about the Sega Saturn. It has a great selection of titles. I still play Saturn Bomberman multiplayer to this day (I have a multitap and 6 pads). Guardian Heroes gets a few sessions every few months, I come crawling back to the Panzer Dragoon series from time to time, and as I love arcade racers, I love Daytona USA, Sega Rally and Wipeout.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
LilithSlave said:
Cool beans but isn't there anything more modern you can do next time? Not that I have anything against "retro" gaming but I've played a fair amount years ago and I don't feel the need to revisit games or systems long buried at not an inconsiderable expense for little return.

Maybe if it's on GOG or something equally accessible and supported but this one is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
"why do you think people should talk about something they probably don't have?"
The point of the thread is to 'introduce' a game and genre. It is titled 'Shooter of the Day'. It is not a review because Lillith is not rating the game, but providing details of what kind of game it is.

I can't think of a simpler way of explaining this to you.

I'll also put it out there that I was brought to 2D shmups by going to similar forums like this and someone introducing me to Cave shooters on the 360, and have since backtracked to earlier systems. So indeed, these threads do help those with an open mind.

I understand that this isn't your kind of thread, or game, but if that's the case why not move on to the next Mass Effect 3 thread? However, there are other members on the forum here who like retro gaming, and would be interested in being introduced to more retro games.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Also it would probably be better if you brought up games on systems more then ten people still play, because we can't really be fussed to dig up another old console.
If you don't care about retro games then that's fair enough, but some of us still happen to like retro gaming.
Jiggy said:
why? i mean, hardly anybody has one, why would they talk about it?
Because it's a really good, underrated system with a lot of great games on it? Seems fitting on a gaming site. I mean people talk about obscure PC games from 20 years ago around here, so why can't people talk about the Saturn?

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Jiggy said:
Hazy992 said:
Mr.K. said:
If you don't care about retro games then that's fair enough, but some of us still happen to like retro gaming.
Then what's the point of the Thread? I see 3 people here that seem to have that interest. Call me nuts, but I don't think that audience warrants a Thread. Especially not when to of those people are going to complain about how nobody else cares whilst doing a terrible, terrible job of changing that.
First off, I'm pretty sure there's more than three people around here who like the Saturn, but that's not the point. If the thread didn't interest you or you felt like it didn't have a big enough audience, why did you even respond to it? Nobody's forcing you to make a reply and there's no need to hijack a thread just because you don't feel the topic warrants discussion.

Jiggy said:
They can. Why shouldn't they be able to? Problem is, I wasn't talking about the three of you, but everyone else. WHY should anybody else here be talking about a Saturn Game? Why? Do you have any reason other then "because I think they are good"? Because that doesn't cut it.

In simple terms:

If you are talking about obsure stuff, you have no right to complan that nobody else cares, especially when you aren't trying to ease them in either.
I couldn't give any less of a flying fuck if you don't care about the Saturn or any other console you consider obscure but if we want to discuss it we should be allowed to without people like you coming into the thread to ruin it. If you don't like the thread then don't respond to it, it is that simple.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Jiggy said:
Where? Because I don't see them, I just see you claiming that people other then you and two others care.
Right OK, so because they're not all at this thread they don't exist. Brilliant. If that's proof enough that no one cares about the Saturn then there's no point discussing anything with you. I've seen people talk about the Saturn plenty of times on this forum, so just because you, a person who joined today, didn't doesn't mean they're not there.

Jiggy said:
Where did I say the Thread doesn't interest me? I came in, told the OP that I agree with the other User about this seeming like a Review and said that I like the Genre but the Game doesn't seem to be for me. Since then I've been talking to people that have been whining in my direction over the Review part of that. So, what exactly did you think you were pointing out here?
How about in your first post where you said no one would be interested in talking about the Saturn?

Jiggy said:
You understand that "not giving a flying fuck" is a two way road? Sadly, the traffic on my side of the road is alot worse, because so far next to nobody has been shown to give a fuck.
That'd be a fair point if I were hijacking topics I have no interest in just to complain but I'm not doing that so it's not.

Jiggy said:
You should be allowed to disclude people because you don't like what they have to say? Yeah, no, you have no such right.
I never said you weren't allowed, of course you're allowed but why would you? It doesn't benefit you in any way to just come in and say 'hurr durr I don't like this topic, no one cares about the Saturn LOLOLOLOL' so why even bother?

Jiggy said:
Also, do tell, what have I ruined? Were you planning on a little circle jerk? Because otherwise I don't see what criticism is ruining, especially considering that you are actively perpetuating it.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise discussing games we like on a gaming forum counted as a circle jerk. This thread didn't warrant 'criticism' in the first place. If you made a thread about a game you liked and I came on and just went 'Oh who the hell cares?!' would you be pleased with that?

Jiggy said:
Practice what you preach, nobody is forcing you to acknowledge my posts if they are causing you so much emotional turmoil.
Right, so you're allowed to derail topics and complain just because you don't like the topic, but if I point that out I'm not 'practicing what I preach'? You're gonna do well around here with this attitude, buddy! ^_^

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Damn this thread makes me more miffed that my gaming PC is currently out of action so I cant use my emulators atm lol

I haven't played this but it seems to be an an cuter and slightly easier version of Gradius. Is this game the one with the theme park stage and the boss is a giant cute girl where if play in hard mode you get to see her head?

edit: Oh I see KFS is an 3 game series, I always thought it was just the one game.

Off topic

Jiggy you only have 5 posts given that 2 of those are in this thread atm I would assume you are just an alt account or a troll given your posts are argumentative and off topic

There's nothing wrong with someone posting a thread on an obsure game or genre, From what I gather this forum is for all types of games and would be a very boring place if there were only just Mass Effect and Skyrim threads

Looking at all other threads there seems to be a large amount of 2D oldschool gamers so I don't see why shmups should be excluded especially when most gamers don't really understand the genre. Most ppl tend to see or play one or two shmups and get the impression that the whole genre is the same. When infact its a very diverse genre, from easy and accessible, to super deep and challenging, with tons of unique and interesting mechanics. Take Outlander one of the best platformers on XBLA and PSN which takes a mechanic from a shmup called Ikaruga.

Personally I think it's kind of sad that so many ppl ignore shmups (and to a lesser degree rail shooters) considering they were once a cornerstone of gaming, especially given the rise of other competitive skill and score based games recently.