Should I support Nintendo anymore?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
ThePurpleStuff said:
A very strong personal opinion: Who gives a &*$% about target demographics? Seeing how they helped to have Bayonetta 2 as a Wii U exclusive and added her as Super Smash Bros character, I don't think even Nintendo does.

All that makes Nintendo look aimless recently, trying to see what sitcks and then they stick to it. They got a new CEO recently, so we'll have to see how that affects them too. So at this point you'll have to use your own honest judgement: if you like their games enough, buy them; if you don't like them enough, don't buy them (they put demos for several of their games, and there are lots of LPs of their games in Youtube).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Cold Shiny said:
If you support gaming, you must support Nintendo, there is no other choice.

Nintendo is NOT a perfect company, they do alot of really stupid things.

HOWEVER

Imagine a world without Nintendo.

1. Virtually all console games run at 25 FPS or lower
2. graphics are the only priority, with gameplay being slowly forgotten
3. Developers think that "cinematic" is somehow a good thing
4. Creativity is utterly dead as evidenced by the fact that most triple A games these days have the imagination of a dead goldfish.
5. Your games will constantly be chopped up into little tiny pieces to be sold to you separately AFTER you buy the full game for 60 dollars.
6. Developers make absolutely ridiculous statements about how their game is going to change the world. The world changing game is then released in a broken and buggy state, and most of the features the dev boasted about are never mentioned again.
7. Devs can release broken garbage piles like Fallout 4, but the games are praised for some reason. People justify all the bugs by saying "the games just so huge". This totally ignores the fact that Nintendo's Xenoblade Chronicles X is a larger game than Fallout 4 and that game possesses literally no bugs.

When Nintendo dies, this is what gaming will be. Our only hope for good games will be from indie devs who actually give a crap about the art.

Condemn Nintendo's bad business practices all you want, they will never be as bad as the alternatives.
You could've saved yourself the wall of text and just typed "Nintendo died for your sins". Gets the message across just as well.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Buy what you like and don't buy what you don't like. Don't take it upon your shoulders to 'support' a company. For example, I buy Red Baron pizzas not because I want to support the Schwan Food Company but because I like the pizza. If they change the recipe in a bad way, I will stop buying it because I don't have any loyalty to a corporation.

If you are looking forward to Zelda: Elder Scrolls Edition you can get that on the NX. Speaking of Skyward Sword, if it's the tutorials that bothered you and not the controls then I am not sure why you are expecting any different from the next Zelda. The developers are going to feel the need to explain everything to you because many people may have never played an Elder Scrolls game.

I should mention how little loyalty Nintendo has to it's customers. The most recent example is Paper Mario Color Splash, now while we are still in the initial phase of praise it is really just Sticker Star 2. People were very vocal about their dislike of Sticker Star, the lack of a leveling system, partners, badges and in general that it was nothing like the first two games. What does Nintendo do? They ignore their customers and make Sticker Stars 2 when they know people wanted something like The Thousand Year Door 2. So ya know, you don't owe them any loyalty.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
The only Nintendo hardware that I bought in the last 20 years was a DS. So, I could play Scribblenauts and a few other games. After a year, I sold them off.

I am planning on getting the retro console this winter. Other than that, I have not been impressed with Nintendo have done in the past 20 plus years. I am tempted to describe their games as "Children Games". I'll be nice and say they are "Family Games". The less quality graphics, the lack of 3rd party games, the lack of original IP's, and other reasonable complaints that have been repeated through the years. They are the reasons that I have never been interested in Nintendo.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
I should mention how little loyalty Nintendo has to it's customers. The most recent example is Paper Mario Color Splash, now while we are still in the initial phase of praise it is really just Sticker Star 2. People were very vocal about their dislike of Sticker Star, the lack of a leveling system, partners, badges and in general that it was nothing like the first two games. What does Nintendo do? They ignore their customers and make Sticker Stars 2 when they know people wanted something like The Thousand Year Door 2. So ya know, you don't owe them any loyalty.
I made this topic actually because of Color Splash. I don't care that theres no more RPG gameplay, I stopped caring when Super Paper Mario went platforming with 'rpg' elements. And Super Paper Mario is a good game, I love Count Bleck, he was a very engaging, tragic villain and his followers were also good. I haven't watched any gameplay footage of Color Splash yet and I may do that now so I have a better understanding on it. I just haven't had a really great story from any of Nintendo's games for so long that I just get bored and lose interest entirely. They have the potential to make amazing stories to go with their games and they just... don't. It's too simplified, not challenging, just, safe, boring and mediocre. I expected better and guess I was wrong to expect anything at all.

*Shrugs* Thank you for posting, reading my very stupid and not well thought out opinions at least. Like I said I'm not educated on everything they've been doing in recent years.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
No.

Nintendo and Sony are backwards Japanese companies that don't quite get the modern age. They have awful business cultures, and their happy to sit on their laurels. Microsoft s aggressively pursuing consumers, but they're also satanic hell spawn. Personally, I support Sony because they have the games I want. I would buy the Wii U, but Nintendo hasn't done anything interesting in a long time. If you think Nintendo has better games then go for it.

But it sounds like you don't really like the direction their headed in. And it's going to get much worse. We're going to see more cell phone games, and consoles with gimmicks. They're not really "the gaming machine" anymore. The game boy is still worth owning, since they have way more third party support, but that's it.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
mad825 said:
Cold Shiny said:

Apparently console gamers don't consider FPS to be an important factor so reducing it may have a positive effect by demonstrating the importance of it.

Also, anything below 25FPS you'll start losing the illusion of a moving object on the screen. I'm not asking for much but fear-mongering is a low blow.
And yet they haven't even surpassed the gameplay elements of TES, Mass Effect, GTA, ARMA, Deus Ex, Hitman, Xcom amd I could go on. The ""graphics are the only priority"" is double talk. Graphics is not an end but a means for better gameplay, the ability to intact with objects in the gaming world, a better way to convey ideas. A means to create immersion and to battle the uncanny valley.

The graphical resources available is left quite largely untapped due to the evolutional hardware development and the efficient APIs being produced that also makes the developer's job easier. Consoles are struggling to keep-up.
It's mainly exclusives tha.....It's funny that I mention exclusives especially when talking about Nintendo. They do a very similar marketing tactic with their "revolutionary" controllers.
4. Creativity is utterly dead as evidenced by the fact that most triple A games these days have the imagination of a dead goldfish.
Yes because Nintendo hasn't peddling the same bloody game for decades. It's one of their main criticisms - a lack of original IPs.
5. Your games will constantly be chopped up into little tiny pieces to be sold to you separately AFTER you buy the full game for 60 dollars.

I've been trying to refrain myself from using this meme but since you've stooped so low into cynicism I thought why not?
6. Developers make absolutely ridiculous statements about how their game is going to change the world. The world changing game is then released in a broken and buggy state, and most of the features the dev boasted about are never mentioned again.
And Nintendo relys on nostalgia and the religiousness of the fan base to be self-sustaining.
7. Devs can release broken garbage piles like Fallout 4, but the games are praised for some reason. People justify all the bugs by saying "the games just so huge". This totally ignores the fact that Nintendo's Xenoblade Chronicles X is a larger game than Fallout 4 and that game possesses literally no bugs.
Yet again, Nintendo doens't have to deal with the huge technical challenges for coding and testing over a large variety of hardware and software both on client and host side. Also the gaming development policies will differ from developer and to publisher.

They didn't even support the Havok Physic engine until 2012 with the WiiU for what been around since the PS2/Xbox era. Christ knows when they are going integrate Havok Cloth or Havok Destruction. Hell, Nintendo hasn't even made the leap for a 64-bit architecture and therefore has never had to dealt with all the cracks and snaps for coding both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.
------------------------------
Its funny Cold Shiny that you blame a multitude of developers for a series of generalised problems against one developer/publisher. Biased much?

Regardless OP, you should never maintain the idea of *supporting* by rather accepting what product (games) brings enjoyment to you and what feels has the greatest potential. I personally hope that they can grow out of their isolationism and understand that there is a market on other platforms. The only products I have interest from Nintendo are the DS consoles because when gaming mobile it's better than using my phone...

I will willing acknowledge every one of Nintendo's faults, however, I still think they are better than the alternatives. A "blind Fanboy" as I have been inappropriately labelled, would not be able to accept that Ninty is far from a perfect company.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Cold Shiny said:
If you support gaming, you must support Nintendo, there is no other choice.

Nintendo is NOT a perfect company, they do alot of really stupid things.

HOWEVER

When Nintendo dies, this is what gaming will be. Our only hope for good games will be from indie devs who actually give a crap about the art.

Condemn Nintendo's bad business practices all you want, they will never be as bad as the alternatives.
I mean, I respect your love of Nintendo, but I think your giving them entirely too much credit. They seem as creatively bankrupt as anyone else. Their latching onto a handful of their biggest IP's in an attempt to stay relevant. That's typical corporate behavior. Their just a corporate as anyone else.

And when's the last time they really tried to innovate the industry? When we have Fromsoft breaking out, and Atlus taking chances with weird titles, and Square finally investing in people like Yoko Taro? When we have Steam allowing numerous indie developers to show what they can do with games like Undertale and Papers Please? When I look for interesting new games, the last place I look is Microsoft, followed by Nintendo. There's nothing wrong with liking Nintendo games, but their not some rogue bastion of artistic integrity, and their far from the last hope of the gaming industry.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
That depends on whether you want to support the developers and designers at Nintendo, or the Corporate Bigwigs, and whether wanting to support one but not the other means you're willing to support both, or neither.

Nintendo bigwigs... Yeah, they're assholes. They don't keep up with the times and modern trends, they run on nostalgia machine, target their products mostly to kids, despite having a sizable audience who is now in their 20s-30s who grew up with Nintendo, and shut down anyone trying to talk about the company. They don't listen to consumers, and seem to just be very private and recluse.

Of course, this isn't all coming from a bad place. Back in the day this is what made Nintendo great. Their management maintained true quality control, and control in general, over their platform, and guaranteed an experience you could enjoy, rather than the experiences that had crashed the videogame market. Now though? They need to change their approach a little. Not a complete 180, but the advent of the internet has changed a great many things in the games community, and they need to keep up.

The devs though? The devs are, honestly, pretty good. They do focus on delivering quality products. Maybe you don't enjoy them, but it is hard to deny that the products are usually highly polished, mechanically sound, and a complete game, even at launch. Compare to many games these days, that come out buggy, unfinished, unpolished, and often with mechanics that don't always entirely flow. Whether you prefer RPG gameplay like in Dragon Age, or shooter gameplay like Battlefield - Nintendo's games at least come out more polished, even if their style isn't your thing.
Additionally, the devs do the best to innovate with what they have. They don't create new IPs very often, but within an IP games can be drastically different, while still having the same soul. Super Mario 64 vs Super Mario Galaxy vs Super Mario in general. All rather different games. Zelda; Ocarina of Time vs Zelda; Phantom Hourglass vs Zelda; A Link Between Worlds. They do things substantially differently to each other. Sometimes its a hit. Sometimes its a miss. They take those risks fairly often though, and try to shake up old IPs - which is admirable, even if we'd prefer they made similar games with their old IPs, and made new IPs for new game styles. Of course big wig management probably doesn't allow this.
On the engineering side, they're also always trying something new. Whether you liked the Wii's controls, or the WiiUs double screen, or the DS's dual screen with touch pad... Its all different from what the market is doing at the time. The Wii tried motion controls, had a few fairly successful games that made good use of them, though not a lot for the core gamer demographic, and started a trend that brought them back in general. The 3DS and WiiU add substantial usability upgrades to several games, when used correctly, even if they are larger and bulkier and not always what one wants to use. The ability to have a map, inventory, and other menus open, and to be able to look at and fuck around with them while playing the game, greatly improves the flow of the game, and led to novel concepts such as drawing the Boomerang or Bombchu path on screen in the DS Zelda titles. All these innovations have also had their flops, their downsides, and their problems - but at least it is something different being done.

Honestly, I'd wait to see if the New Zelda seems to innovate in the way you want, and if it does buy it to support that innovation, if it doesn't than don't buy it to let them know that innovation wasn't desired. While on the corporate side they need some work, the company does also have its positive sides. No company is ever going to be perfect, and if you wanted great corporate practices towards gamers from your company before buying their games, you just wouldn't buy games. What matters is whether what Nintendo offers interests you or not, and whether you think its worth the asking price. If you're not sure, wait for more information then see.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:
Short Answer: No.

Longer answer follows.

I haven't bothered to get anything from them in a long time. I was originally going to get a 3DS, but it's little security feature, which can and probably HAS been abused, turned me off entirely. Wii's are nice, but I didn't want to bother with that either. It's just kinda' meh at this point.
What Security Feature?
Ah, the one where they brick your 3DS if you've been tampering with it. Think Sony's tirade against modding the PS3, but Nintendo having a built-in 'Fuck You'. My issue is that even if I never did anything, they could THINK I did, and some people probably have been bricked, no apologies, replacements, or refunds. In short, why invest in something they can turn into a paperweight?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
FalloutJack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:

Longer answer follows.

I haven't bothered to get anything from them in a long time. I was originally going to get a 3DS, but it's little security feature, which can and probably HAS been abused, turned me off entirely. Wii's are nice, but I didn't want to bother with that either. It's just kinda' meh at this point.
What Security Feature?
Ah, the one where they brick your 3DS if you've been tampering with it. Think Sony's tirade against modding the PS3, but Nintendo having a built-in 'Fuck You'. My issue is that even if I never did anything, they could THINK I did, and some people probably have been bricked, no apologies, replacements, or refunds. In short, why invest in something they can turn into a paperweight?
Well that depends what have you been doing that would make them "Think" that you did?

Leviathan

Oct 13, 2016
I personally continue to support Nintendo, if only because they have exclusive rights to many of my favorite game series. The 3DS is honestly one of my best gaming purchases of the past decade from gameplay hours alone, but I understand the concerns others have about Nintendo's restrictive policies.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Nintendo's the reason Dragon Quest VII, the Bravely series, and Yokai Watch have gotten localized.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
FalloutJack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:

Longer answer follows.

What Security Feature?
The PS3 tirade was a big deal because it was an initially supported (being able to install Linux was a feature), and later they changed the terms of service and removed the feature from already bought consoles (and took legal action against those who jailbroke their PS3s after that). Nintendo is putting the cards clear on the table from the beginning, so the situation isn't even comparable. So if you were planning to make unauthorized modifcations on your 3DS, it's good to know the risks and being able to choose not buy the damn console in the first place. But if you weren't planning to modify the 3DS, then it's not so much of a good reason.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:

Longer answer follows.

What Security Feature?
Well that depends what have you been doing that would make them "Think" that you did?
Don't care. I wouldn't be doing anything, but the idea is that they could just make a total boneheaded mistake (completely possible), fuck up he machine, and then do bugger all about it. Seriously, even if they make a mistake, they won't do shit. In what universe do I want that to be possible on this doodad that I purchased? I don't care what the reasoning is, it's not acceptable for somebody to pull the plug.

CaitSeith said:
The PS3 tirade was a big deal because it was an initially supported (being able to install Linux was a feature), and later they changed the terms of service and removed the feature from already bought consoles (and took legal action against those who jailbroke their PS3s after that). Nintendo is putting the cards clear on the table from the beginning, so the situation isn't even comparable. So if you were planning to make unauthorized modifcations on your 3DS, it's good to know the risks and being able to choose not buy the damn console in the first place. But if you weren't planning to modify the 3DS, then it's not so much of a good reason.
Again, don't care. Not fair for YOU to have a kill-switch. Even if I were to do something you didn't like, which I probably wouldn't, your option is to make an objection, a legal one that involves the moving of money from one place to another by means of a fine. You don't get to do THAT, because there's no due process, nothing official. And again again, they won't replace a device that's been done in by mistake. I don't care what the reason is. I don't play with the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head, not for any reason. That's completely stupid.

Leviathan

Oct 13, 2016
FalloutJack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:

Longer answer follows.

What Security Feature?
Don't care. I wouldn't be doing anything, but the idea is that they could just make a total boneheaded mistake (completely possible), fuck up he machine, and then do bugger all about it. Seriously, even if they make a mistake, they won't do shit. In what universe do I want that to be possible on this doodad that I purchased? I don't care what the reasoning is, it's not acceptable for somebody to pull the plug.

CaitSeith said:
Again, don't care. Not fair for YOU to have a kill-switch. Even if I were to do something you didn't like, which I probably wouldn't, your option is to make an objection, a legal one that involves the moving of money from one place to another by means of a fine. You don't get to do THAT, because there's no due process, nothing official. And again again, they won't replace a device that's been done in by mistake. I don't care what the reason is. I don't play with the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head, not for any reason. That's completely stupid.
Now this makes me wonder how this works legal-wise. Do you own the rights to USE the 3DS (a la DRM for video games) or do you own the actual 3DS itself?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
FalloutJack said:
*sigh* Here take this...
I didn't find much information about that mistake happening though.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
FalloutJack said:

Longer answer follows.

What Security Feature?
This was just people getting over excited by the ToS. Since at least DS/Wii the ToS (and on the back of game boxes) has stated: "Any unauthorised technical medication to your system or the use of an unauthorised device with your system may render this software and/or your system unplayable?.

In the US (at least - other regions including Australia it?s unchanged) ?may? was changed to ?will?. Though having little legal knowledge myself (especially not for other countries), I?d be more inclined to think that?s more to do with specific legal wording for the US rather a Nintendo strike force committed to taking out US 3DS?s.

The 3DS hacking/modding scene is alive and well. If you have no idea what you?re doing it is possible to brick your console. Nintendo is not going to help you if you break your own shit.

It?s basically the same as saying ?Throwing your 3DS down the stairs may/will render your system unplayable?. They?re not going to ?accidentally? brick your console because they suspect you might have dropped your console - it's the act of falling down stairs that renders the system unplayable.