Should the overweight pay more for airfare?

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Ed130 said:
Oh hey look, someone who actually knows what they're talking about! thanks for the info, man.

While I don't feel like it's necessarily that big a deal to charge people extra for their weight, I do feel that airlines should have the right to move people around based on weight--if first class (usually in the front) happens to be full of very heavy people and the back is full of sticks, I feel like that could be a problem for the plane

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Regnes said:
It's fair, but it wouldn't go over well with most people. Society these days is too protective of certain types of people. People would call it discrimination because some people are just born to be heavier. This is true, but when you're like 300+ pounds, that's your fault, you're a fat slob and should get some god damned exercise.
Weight really shouldn't be the only factor, though. My father is over 300 lbs., but he's in damn good shape for a former Marine who has had three knee replacements. Yeah, he could stand to lose some of the fat he's picked up over the years, but all my life he's been around 275, just because he's a big guy. Not fat, just tall and broad shouldered.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
I've heard about enough. People's weight isn't something they can just change--it never is. Nor is something like another airline fee going to force them. The overweight suffer enough on planes, having to squeeze into tight spaces and between armrests to fit in seats that maybe fit CHILDREN.
The other potential issue is that "making weight" (as the athletes put it) isn't an option for these people, and I would hate to see the news stories after someone dies trying to get under "the limit".
And as someone who knows a LITTLE about airplane weight and balance, I'd note that the area in which the baggage is stowed allows for a fair bit of mass-juggling to balance an uneven load in the passenger cabin, and that the overall performance envelope of jet airliners is so broad that having a cabin full of people of any size has little impact on the speed, climbing, or maneuverability of the thing. Even fuel consumption is affected only a bit by any particular person being on board or not being on board.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
The airplane has seats. If you can fit into a seat, that seat has been made for you, regardless of your weight.

The luggage compartment does not have seats. It has a certain amount of space. And to prevent people from saying "oh I've got just the one bag, it's this grand piano right here", it's measured in weight.

So long answer: don't be stupid
Short answer: no

Johann610 said:
I've heard about enough. People's weight isn't something they can just change--it never is. Nor is something like another airline fee going to force them. The overweight suffer enough on planes, having to squeeze into tight spaces and between armrests to fit in seats that maybe fit CHILDREN.
The other potential issue is that "making weight" (as the athletes put it) isn't an option for these people, and I would hate to see the news stories after someone dies trying to get under "the limit".
The ratio of fat people who are fat and can't do anything about it (ie. genetically fat/ill) to people who are just slobs is about the ratio of people with lung cancer who don't smoke to the ones who do - yes, it's out there, it happens, but that can be branded as a disability, most people are just lazy fucks.

So please, don't be ridiculous with this, to the point of suggesting people would kill themselves to save a few bucks, because if people minded the price THAT badly, it'd mean a few people die and millions of people get healthier.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Fuel's expensive. And it takes more fuel to cart around a chubbalub than it does a twig. Therefore, they should have to pay more. If you don't believe me, then give your fattest friend a free piggyback ride... halfway through, you'll want to charge them money, too. Why should I have to make up the difference on my airline ticket to tow a bunch of living sausages across the country?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Vrach said:
The airplane has seats. If you can fit into a seat, that seat has been made for you, regardless of your weight.

The luggage compartment does not have seats. It has a certain amount of space. And to prevent people from saying "oh I've got just the one bag, it's this grand piano right here", it's measured in weight.

Take it you don't know much about planes then? Or how they organise the passengers to equalise weight?

I think it's a good idea. First off, it's rational. Maybe a little invasive, though. But...I suppose if you only weigh people who are obviously outside the optimal range, it should be okay. Fat people aren't exactly ignorant of their own weight, and they'd be prepared for it.

At the very least, it'll make an unhealthy lifestyle expensive, which would encourage a healthier population.

In theory.

EDIT: Forgot to say anything about the lower limit - Making things cheaper for people who are skinnier than normal are usually quite unhealthy themselves, and the last thing we want to encourage is people getting really thin. Scrap the lower-limit idea, just have an upper band. We do not want to teach people that it's okay to purposefully starve yourself.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:

Take it you don't know much about planes then? Or how they organise the passengers to equalise weight?

I think it's a good idea. First off, it's rational. Maybe a little invasive, though. But...I suppose if you only weigh people who are obviously outside the optimal range, it should be okay. Fat people aren't exactly ignorant of their own weight, and they'd be prepared for it.

At the very least, it'll make an unhealthy lifestyle expensive, which would encourage a healthier population.

In theory.
If a plane is filled with fat people, will it go down? Cause if not, you need to read my post again, as your response has nothing to do with what I've said.

McMouse

May 7, 2009
tacotrainwreck said:
Fuel's expensive. And it takes more fuel to cart around a chubbalub than it does a twig. Therefore, they should have to pay more. If you don't believe me, then give your fattest friend a free piggyback ride... halfway through, you'll want to charge them money, too. Why should I have to make up the difference on my airline ticket to tow a bunch of living sausages across the country?
i think its just that they give them two spots, not because of gas, and if someone takes up two spots they pay for two spots, im all for that, canadian airlines pay to much in taxes as it is without making less.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Vrach said:
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:

In theory.
If a plane is filled with fat people, will it go down? Cause if not, you need to read what I said again, as your response has nothing to do with what I've said.
Yes. Actually. There was a Seconds From Disaster episode about a small commercial plane that went down immediately after taking off because it couldn't handle the weight of its overweight passengers.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:

In theory.
If a plane is filled with fat people, will it go down? Cause if not, you need to read what I said again, as your response has nothing to do with what I've said.
Yes. Actually. There was a Seconds From Disaster episode about a small commercial plane that went down immediately after taking off because it couldn't handle the weight of its overweight passengers.
Okay, excuse me, but that's just hilarious. Still, that's really just a worst case scenario and not something that's a regular problem. If a plane gets filled entirely with fat people, I agree, it should be grounded and they should be split into two flights.

I do not however, agree with the OP's idea (I've really not heard it outside stand up comedy), not because I have any support for fat people - as I've said above, for the most part, it's something you can do away with on your own, not to mention, something you got yourself into over a long time of watching yourself grow in the mirror and not lifting a finger about it - but because it simply seems ridiculous and unnecessary.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I only think people need to pay extra if they are so big that they can not possibly sit next to someone else comfortably. If someone next to me is so big that I can only get half or less of the seat I paid for, I'll signal a flight attendant and ask to be moved. Sure, it may hurt some feelings, but neither of us can possibly be comfortable in that arrangement. Charging them for the seat that they forced someone out of? By all means, please do.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Vrach said:
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:

In theory.
Okay, excuse me, but that's just hilarious. Still, that's really just a worst case scenario and not something that's a regular problem. If a plane gets filled entirely with fat people, I agree, it should be grounded and they should be split into two flights.

I do not however, agree with the OP's idea (I've really not heard it outside stand up comedy), not because I have any support for fat people - as I've said above, for the most part, it's something you can do away with on your own, not to mention, something you got yourself into over a long time of watching yourself grow in the mirror and not lifting a finger about it - but because it simply seems ridiculous and unnecessary.
Let's be fair though - we're not talking "Has a bit of chub", we're talking real obesity. Nobody is genetically THAT fat. That's what needs to be discouraged. It's not a war on fat people, it's a deterrent against obese people, which is a fair stretch from being 'big-boned'. Chances are 90% of us in this thread won't be affected, and that's me being cynical.

And yes. It was pretty funny. They spent the whole episode looking for mechanical faults, weather problems, even pilot neglect. They checked cargo weight, and it was only when they cast their net at the absolute widest did they check passenger weight.

projectpinkx

Feb 29, 2012
If McDonald's and other crappy fast food restaurants were smart they'd charge their customers based on body fat percentage. You'd have a scale in the line in front of the cashier with a big digital readout so everyone can see and it'd also show body fat percentage.(Don't ask how. It's super-science.)THEN you could determine price based on that number. Really high body fat? You get to increase the price of the meal by a set amount because you KNOW the fatties will shell out the big bucks for all that greasy, cheesy garbage. They'd rake in even BILLIONS more! Capitalism at its finest!

beniki

May 28, 2009
Well... it would be a good idea, but I wouldn't trust the airlines to put the extra cash to good use.

How is it dealt with now? If it's implemented, would the normal price of a ticket go down?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Crap. The weight of the passengers is minimal when compared to the weight of the luggage and the plane itself. I mean, a passanger 747 takes 200,000 tons of fuel to get to altitude and back. That's half the fuel tank. A few hundred extra pounds will make such a small difference to that usage of fuel that any "surcharge" is just a crap excuse to charge more money without raising your ticket price.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
DarkishFriend said:
and I'll have to be beyond drunk to think that there is a notable difference to fly a 250lb man, then a 160lb man
50x fat people = 4000lbs+ extra weight.
That makes a noticeable difference in fuel consumption and plane handling (takeoff and landing speeds) on a small aircraft.

Not that much of a difference, but it does make one if you're doing short journeys on small planes.

As for if more money should be charged:
Yes. Anyone over 6'4 and/or 300lbs should be charged extra for taking up so much room.

Alternatively, the airlines could go f*** themselves and remove a row of seating and charge me another $4 a flight. I would gladly pay it for some f***ing legroom.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:
Thyunda said:
Vrach said:

In theory.

Let's be fair though - we're not talking "Has a bit of chub", we're talking real obesity. Nobody is genetically THAT fat. That's what needs to be discouraged. It's not a war on fat people, it's a deterrent against obese people, which is a fair stretch from being 'big-boned'. Chances are 90% of us in this thread won't be affected, and that's me being cynical.

And yes. It was pretty funny. They spent the whole episode looking for mechanical faults, weather problems, even pilot neglect. They checked cargo weight, and it was only when they cast their net at the absolute widest did they check passenger weight.
Actually there are. I'm not talking "genetics" as in "big boned", I'm talking genetics and diseases as in "hormone imbalance leading to weight gain" and such. As I've said above, those people are few and far in between considering the number of fat people, especially in some countries, but they are there. I'd classify those as genuine disability however, as it really is a medical condition and not just a "ribs dipped in marmalade taste way too good at 3AM".

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure Southwest and other airlines make you buy 2 seats if your body mass takes up so much space that your spilling over into another seat.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
projectpinkx said:
If McDonald's and other crappy fast food restaurants were smart they'd charge their customers based on body fat percentage. You'd have a scale in the line in front of the cashier with a big digital readout so everyone can see and it'd also show body fat percentage.(Don't ask how. It's super-science.)THEN you could determine price based on that number. Really high body fat? You get to increase the price of the meal by a set amount because you KNOW the fatties will shell out the big bucks for all that greasy, cheesy garbage. They'd rake in even BILLIONS more! Capitalism at its finest!
ya see this is funny because no one is so fat that they would comply to that and if they were then they'd probably just go home and and make their own