Should the UK have a Royal Family?

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
I think in time all European monarchies will simply fade into obscurity - The UK, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg etc. etc.
The recent Royal Wedding was laughable at best, the medias feeble attempt at hyping it up did not succeed, and people couldn?t care less. And there were no street parties either!
However I respect the Queen as a person and the part her family played in the WWII, but after she is gone I don?t think people will care much about the royals!
I think their time is running out.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Yosharian said:
StBishop said:
I'd die for our monarch. So yeah I'm a fan.

If someone tried to remove the Monarchy they'd have a big fight on their hands and I don't think they'd win to be honest. Obviously there may come a time when the UK needs to change to GB&NI and lose the whole "Kingdom" part, but I certainly hope it's not in my life time.
Why the hell would you die for your monarch? I don't understand this logic at all. You're going to sacrifice your life for someone you've never met just because they had the luck (or bad luck) to be born a royal?

It makes no sense and it stinks of irrational adherence to outdated traditions.
I can't give you a reason. I'm not the kind of person who is able to accurately explain their thoughts in a way that makes sense to others.

I just would. Same as I can't explain why I would die for my father, or my country, or my siblings.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Guy Fawkes and Oliver Cromwell had the right idea. Maybe just a little too extreme though.

It will be a day to celebrate when we finally get our shit together and kick the royal family out of our government.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Im sorry, everytime I hear discussion like this, its the only thing that comes to my mind:

Anywho, keep the Royalty, for the sake of tradition.

lucaf

Sep 26, 2009
Amphoteric said:
Guy Fawkes and Oliver Cromwell had the right idea. Maybe just a little too extreme though.

It will be a day to celebrate when we finally get our shit together and kick the royal family out of our government.
out of our government? they don't actually have any effect on our government, I think you missed the party

inzesky

Oct 28, 2009
"Hereditary succession has no claim. For all men being originally equals, no one by birth could have the right to set up his own family in perpetual preference to all others for ever, and tho' himself might deserve some decent degree of honours of his contemporaries, yet his descendants might be far too unworthy to inherit them." - Thomas Paine

That is all.

Dec 14, 2009
Amphoteric said:

Read up on why Guy Fawkes tried to destroy the Houses of Parliament (and not base your opinion on V for bloody Vendetta), then come back and say he had the right idea...

Monkey lord

Jun 25, 2011
no the royal family is an outdated symbol of higharchy. the first step to minimise the class difference in the UK should be to remove the royal family and elect a president.
also the money the royal family has and spends could go along way helping those in need in the UK.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Royal family = tons and tons of income for the UK. Doesnt matter is they are a useless symbol of an old system, they are worth a lot of money so they will stay.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Having a monarchy is good for all the reasons before my post, and because we'd have to get rid of so many cool names. I mean, come on: there would be no Royal Navy, no Royal Air Force, no ROyal British Legion, no 'Her Majesties Corps of Royal Marines', no Royal Armouries and no Royal Mail.

It would be embarrassing if we didn't have the RAF.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
lucaf said:
Amphoteric said:

out of our government? they don't actually have any effect on our government, I think you missed the party
Nope all laws have to be signed by Elizabeth for them to become laws. Of course she would be immediately abdicated if she refused. She still has a role.

She is also considered to be the head of state. Which is rediculous.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Mullahgrrl said:
Didnt you watch the other video? those numbers are bogus.
The second video whines about lack of taxes, but doesn't say what would happen if we start taxing them. The royals would probably dissolve the agreement, leaving us with significantly less money than we get from them now.

Also, they're immune from inheritance tax because they don't own much of what people think they do. What gets transferred from monarch to monarch tends to belong to the country but is cared for by the Royals.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Twad said:
Royal family = tons and tons of income for the UK. Doesnt matter is they are a useless symbol of an old system, they are worth a lot of money so they will stay.
People come to the UK to see the palaces, castles and to hear about the history of the place. I really don't think they come to see the royal family in person.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Amphoteric said:

Read up on why Guy Fawkes tried to destroy the Houses of Parliament (and not base your opinion on V for bloody Vendetta), then come back and say he had the right idea...
Never seen V for Vendetta. Also it was a joke. Also I have done 17th century England for A-Level.