Should You Have to Get a License to Raise Children?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Everyone is required to have a licence to drive motor vehicles, yet that still doesn't stop retards from getting onto the roads.
What would a licence to raise children do?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
What right does the state have to tell people if they can have kids or not? They can choose to withhold benefits and such, but the Government has absolutely no right intervening on personal, family matters. If people want kids, that's their business. We're not in such an economic crisis where a new baby could cripple us, so the test would be arbitrary, pointless, and downright wrong. Not just unethical. Wrong to the point of 'get that probe out of my ass'.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Blatherscythe said:
The question is in the title, we sometimes hear about terrible fucking parents neglecting their child (usually for Facebook it would seem) and the child dies. The license I was thinking of is earned when the parent passes an exam on parenting and can demonstrate good parenting skills, then they can have a child with someone who also has this license. Now if by some odd chance someone has a baby and doesen't have this license then it will be taken by social services and will be returned when the parent obtains the license, or they'll give it to someone capable of raising the child if the parent-to-be refuses to get a license. So what are your thoughts, suggestions, is it a good or bad idea?
I like the idea and thought of the same thing.

The only problem is you would get cries of outrage with things like "Having children is biological right" and would add significant weight to the government becoming too controlling thing.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
tomtom94 said:
In an idealistic society only the genetically perfect would be allowed to raise children.

As soon as you start putting any limits whatsoever on who can breed you start on the slope towards that.
I say let social Darwinism continue running its course for now.

However, to control overpopulation (by far the biggest problem), I maintain there should be a one child per person limit. When your child is born, you declare if it is born for you or your partner. So one couple can have two children but if the father remarries he can only have one more with any new partners he has.

It would mean that the population could not increase. How it would be enforced, however, I don't know.
since when is overpopulation a problem is the western world?

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Firstly, a law like this could never be enforced unless the state was Orwellian and relatively small. Secondly, even if it could be enforced, passing the test and gaining a license doesn't necessarily mean your a fit parent: It just means you could pass the test, and there will still be millions of bad parents and dead babies. Thirdly, what would you do if they failed or refused to take the test? Are you going to force them to have abortions? What if they refuse that?! Kill them?!

The idea is horrid, and as much as I hate Bad Parents, most parents aren't morons and are capable of taking care of kids. We don't need to taken a freakin' test for something we can do instinctively.
Completely agree.

And who is to say what method of child raising is the best? Is there even a "best" way to raise a child? Obviously negelecting them is bad, but what is the best way? Children are raised in different ways so nobody can say one way is the best. How would you campare them anyway?

So this "child liscense" is a bad idea. Logistically hard to enforce (are you just going to search everybody's house for children every so often? Ever hear of the 4th amendment?) and morally questionable (What if they fail? What if they refuse to take the test? What if they pass the test and still abuse children? What about accidental pregnancies? Why should the government tell us who can have children and who cannot?).

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
I usually would say no to stuff like this, but after working at McDonalds for months and seeing the amount of skets coming in wearing their pj's in the afternoon is disgusting. Plus the amount of parents who believe the way to raise their children is by shouting at them.

I think people should have to attend classes which teach them how to raise children.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
I was inclined to say yes, but in the end making reproduction a privilege and not a right sounds pretty oppressive. What would happen if there was an accidental pregnancy? What about cases of rape? Would the answer for that be a legally-demanded abortion? I don't think that would go over well...

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
As much as I would love to live in a Dystopian, City 17 esque world where our basic liberties, freedoms and rights are meaningless...

No.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Firstly, a law like this could never be enforced unless the state was Orwellian and relatively small. Secondly, even if it could be enforced, passing the test and gaining a license doesn't necessarily mean your a fit parent: It just means you could pass the test, and there will still be millions of bad parents and dead babies. Thirdly, what would you do if they failed or refused to take the test? Are you going to force them to have abortions? What if they refuse that?! Kill them?!

The idea is horrid, and as much as I hate Bad Parents, most parents aren't morons and are capable of taking care of kids. We don't need to taken a freakin' test for something we can do instinctively.
Agreed. Reading the proposal, I kept thinking that it smacked of the Orwellian (i.e it would probably never work).

As other people have pointed out, taking a test would fail to take into account the subjectivity of raising a child (outside of the,"hey make sure you feed it moron" aspect), but in addition to that: passing a test and acquiring a license doesn't suddenly make you infallible in the ways of parenting. People would still neglect, or make mistakes. We all have driver's licenses, yet there are still thousands of car accidents every year.

Yes, we sometimes hear about parents neglecting their children and the child dying, and it probably happens a lot more than we hear about it, but to reiterate what Mr.Mattress said, there are still millions of parents out there doing it right, compared to the few thousand that are an active danger to their kids.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Suilenroc said:
tomtom94 said:
In an idealistic society only the genetically perfect would be allowed to raise children.

As soon as you start putting any limits whatsoever on who can breed you start on the slope towards that.
I say let social Darwinism continue running its course for now.

However, to control overpopulation (by far the biggest problem), I maintain there should be a one child per person limit. When your child is born, you declare if it is born for you or your partner. So one couple can have two children but if the father remarries he can only have one more with any new partners he has.

It would mean that the population could not increase. How it would be enforced, however, I don't know.
since when is overpopulation a problem is the western world?
The high population of the western world and the expected high standard of living is causing repercussions the world over.
There's homelessness and poverty over here too.

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
No.

1. There's no practical way to enforce it. What are you going to do to parents who have a child but no license? Force the mother to have an abortion? Take the child away? Okay, great, so what do you do with the children you take away?

2. Parenting is an experience. You can read all of the books and watch all of the DVDs ever produced on the subject and still be a novice. Most of the things about parenthood you learn as you go along.

3. The test could never be objective. What if one of the questions demands (hypothetically) that parents teach children that homosexuality is evil, when the parents disagree? To answer honestly - no, they'd teach their kids to be open-minded - would lose them the right to reproduce. Would you like to be told how to raise your children?

4. For that matter, what would the grading system be? Pass at 50%? 65% Okay, which questions did they get wrong? The ones on feeding, clothing? The ones on education? Does that mean a parent who got 100% is somehow 'better' than a parent who only got 70%?

5. If the test is a standard test, everybody is going to know what the correct answers are. There would even be books on the subject. Does that make you a good parent, or good at taking tests? For example, I aced my GCSE German exam, but I can't actually speak a word of the language and wasn't interested in ever doing so.

6. What about couples who want to adopt? Should there be different tests for adopting a young child, a teenager?

7. There's a horrific situation in China at the moment with their "one child only" policy - thousands of female children being killed in favour of having a male child instead.

I love that people in support of this license cite a tiny, tiny minority of society. What about all of those parents out there doing a great job? Where's the credit for them? Oh no, all parents are idiots, moving along.

(Also, I might add, there have been a lot of great people in history who came from shitty families - Abraham Lincoln, Charles Dickens, Charlie Chaplin. Alternatively, there are children who came from lovely families who are revolting - Paris Hilton was given everything and in return is wasting her life (does that make her parents bad parents or good parents?) or as a personal example, I have an uncle who was loved and nurtured and given all he wanted by his parents, and turned out to be a lech and a borderline paedophile. *shrugs*)

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
I would absolutely like to support something like this, just something to control population and see to it that the kids have good lives with people who love them.

But this is, unfortunately, one of those "great on paper, terrible in practice" things. It sounds so good reading it like this and thinking about it - but how would we be able to execute this in a real society? It would just be to hard with an idea like this.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Bad idea. Sounds like communism! Do you hate freedom? Time for you to eat a guantanamo sandwich!

Just kiddin. Actually i think a licence would be a good idea for many things.

Maybe some classes would suffice, to get the basics down.

shoot and hope

Apr 12, 2010
Good idea but it if the parent fails it's not fair on the child to not have his/hers parents. Also care homes would be packed and what would the test include?

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I like that, it keeps people from breeding like dogs, keeps children safe, etc.

I think that they should also do a psychological interview, see if both partners intend to stay together to raise the child, what their'e plans are for the child, how they will raise the child, etc.

Reboare

Apr 2, 2010
Terrible idea.
Although there are stories of people neglecting their children, they are the minority.
Also, what happens when the system is abused. e.g. certain people being denied licenses due to political affiliations. Okay that might be a bit far fetched (enough regulations put in place etc.) but I honestly doubt you can judge someone's ability to be a parent through an exam. A person might be perfectly knowledgeable of the necessary steps for raising a child but that doesn't mean they won't neglect their child at some point.
Also the entire idea seems like a step towards 1984 (Yes I know it's a cliché by this point).

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
As a teacher I stand on top of a mountain and scream at the top of my lungs YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES! I know that it is difficult to enforce, but here's the solution, If you have a kid without the license, instant sterilization so that it's your only one, that would cut down on 90% of bad parenting right there.