Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Black Lagoon
Hellsing / Hellsing Ultimate
Desert Punk (maybe)
Boku No Pico
Soul Eater
Baccano!

There, that should be enough to keep ya busy!

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Rastelin said:
I normally can't stand anime. But my guilty pleasures has to be Appleseed and Ghost in a shell.

Not sure Appleseed qualifies as anime though. I leave that judgement to people who knows the style.
I loved Appleseed Ex Machina even more than the original. You should definitely give it a look if you haven't already.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I don't think you mean good.

I think you mean "Show me your pathetic attempts of what you think is good that I have already written off with my own opinion. MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

...Also I hate japanese style."

Why the hell would you look for an anime if you admit to hating japanese style?
That's like asking for a game where you don't have to press buttons.

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
K1CKER said:
Hey there anime lovers!

Me, I`ve always hated all kinds of anime series BUT I`ve watched Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra lately and I have to say they are really good.

So maybe someone can point me to another series that has the same strengths:
- no overly effeminate male characters. (I mean it)
- no big eyed female characters that sound like a squealing mouse and are either helpless tits or exaggerated bad-ass tits on-a-stick.
- reasonably believable world.
- no super exaggerated overpowered characters, all the special powers they have are reasonable.
- good amount of action.
- serious world changing story while also being funny.
- "not too Japanese" visual style

Thanks, and looking forward to finding another series as good as Avatar.
Right well then.
Shuffle
Highschool of the Dead
Gurren Lagann
Um yeah Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood falls under most of those categories.
I am not to sure about what you mean with "Serious world changing story while also being funny."
If you mean world changing in the universe it takes place then yeah FMA: Brotherhood

If you mean a heartfelt sentimental story that is funny then Angel Beats!
that show falls under
-no overly effeminate characters
-well it has big-eyed squeaky mouse character but she is more comic relief and lacks tits
-well if the after-life is believable enough.
-Angel isn't that OP
-Oh yeah there is some great action
-"not too Japanese"..um..anime...Its has REALLY good visual style and it is from 2010 so its doesn't look as shit as say Yu Yu Hakasho or the old Dragon Ball Z.

Also another vote for Baccano!

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Do yourself a favor, and watch Black Lagoon, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. Judging from what you specified on your list, you'll really like these. Go now!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
NightHawk21 said:
There's an article on this on the front page, but to me personally if it looks like anime, plays out like like an anime, an features similar morals and stuff as an anime it doesn't really matter where it was made.

Edit: I was gonna suggest the Avatar series (both of them) to you but that was shut down in your original post lol.
Yes, but anime is not a genre. Being like it doesn't make it. It's just animation from a certian place that has certain tropes due to their culture. They take animation more seriously so it's usually more diverse, and can be plot-driven, instead of the usual comedy only stuff in the west.

Anime is not a genre you can just stick something into that "acts" like anime. There is no "acting" like anime, since anime can also mean episodic series of comedy. We just tend to get more plot-driven shonen in the west because that's what the fans like.
Technically any animated thing could be called anime by your points, since anime is so diverse that probably any animation is like some anime.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Cowboy bebop, trigun, baccano, fullmetal alchemist. But they've already been said so in an effort to be more original:

Beck:Mongolian chop squad. If playing music has anything to do with your life, you must watch this anime. Though it's not really the same kind of thing as avatar. Beck is completely grounded in reality.

And then you've got Mushi-shi & Kino's journey which are both just about a person travelling around, and meeting different kinds of people. I can see how people could find these shows boring & pointless, as neither has any kind of overall narrative, but I fucking love them.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
NightHawk21 said:
There's an article on this on the front page, but to me personally if it looks like anime, plays out like like an anime, an features similar morals and stuff as an anime it doesn't really matter where it was made.
But not all anime plays out the same or has the same themes. Monster is a serious, adult crime drama with no supernatural fight scenes or what-have-you, but it's still animé because that's just what we call Japanese animation. If you were to compare Monster to, say, Bleach, the only similarities you would be able to find are that they are both animated and both Japanese... that's it. Yet they're both animé.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
the doom cannon said:
Persona 4 the Animation: The whole persona thing may be a little extravagant, but it's a very believable world, so I'm gonna recommend it.
I agree although its almost exactly the same as the game so if you have tried and hated the story in that you wont like this.

The Wykydtron said:
Oh actually Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) might fit all of your criteria. I must warn you that it contains dangerous levels of awesomeness and crazy shenanigans. It is also a mystery thing but darker and more mysterious....

Basically 12 (13?) people get phones that predict the future in various different ways and with different constraints and rules and they must hunt each other down and kill each other for the last man standing to become the new God of Time and Space.
This was what I was going to suggest but you beat me to it Mirai Nikki is my favourite anime in a long time so entertaining if a little dark I guess and 2nd is a fantastic character and great fun to watch.

The above 2 would probably fit all your criteria except maybe the not too japanese style art which is a bit vague everyone has their own definition of this after all.

I would recommend K-ON but its got pretty much zero action and does not have a world changing story in fact it has a very simple story but it fits the rest of the criteria. Actually scrap that you would probably hate it just go for Mirrai Nikki and Persona 4 they are much more pleasing and damn good.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
stef1987 said:
Seriously ?
Orihime (bleach) is the exact manifestation of "squealing mouse helpless tits", and Nami (one piece) is "exaggerated bad-ass tits"
I have no idea who those characters are.

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
Someone has already mentioned FLCL(Fooly Cooly), but I'd like to mention that the creators of Avatar actually used that show as part of their inspiration. I've read it several times before and I believe it is actually written in the series official art book(I'd double check but that book is thick and covers a lot of production notes. I am not going through all of it just for that one bit.)

Another series that supposedly influenced the series was Samurai Champloo, actually if I'm not mistaken Toph was partially inspired by a one off character in the series as well.

If you like Avatar and you really are willing to check out some anime then I recommend looking to what inspired them in the first place and try working from there. For example if you find you like Samurai Champloo then check out Cowboy Bebop as it was directed by the same man or something like that. Both series are pretty short (FLCL = 6 episode run, Samurai Champloo = 26) so it shouldn't take very long to look through them. Heck FLCL can be watched as a nice long afternoon movie so to speak.

Oh and they are both available for free for streaming on Hulu.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
If you loved Avatar you would probably really enjoy Moribito and Twelve Kingdoms.

Both feature strong female characters and incredibly rich fantasy settings.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
I'm going to throw Hyouka at you because it's new and fucking awesome. No sexy times for you to rage at either XD
I'm really, really disappointed with Hyouka personally. I love KyoAni. I'd go as far to say they're my favourite animation studio in the world. However, I'm having such a difficult time with Hyouka. I find the mysteries boring and mundane.

You know what really isn't a big deal? What isn't worth 3 episodes of exploration? That the ending a crappy high school movie like 10 people watch is what the writer intended. I just want it to be over so we can get started on Chū-2 Byō.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
NightHawk21 said:
Monster is a serious, adult crime drama with no supernatural fight scenes or what-have-you, but it's still animé because that's just what we call Japanese animation. If you were to compare Monster to, say, Bleach, the only similarities you would be able to find are that they are both animated and both Japanese... that's it. Yet they're both animé.
We should probably put this discussion in that "Can americans make anime" article :p

I liked monster, in that it was pretty refreshing. The main character was an adult, acted like an adult and the German/European setting was quite nice. My one complaint with it is MAN, did it ever progress slowly. I mean, I know in a crime/mystery/intrigue style show you don't want to just lay down all your plot points and twists at once, but it all just unfolded very slowly.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
K1CKER said:
Hey there anime lovers!

Me, I`ve always hated all kinds of anime series BUT I`ve watched Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra lately and I have to say they are really good.

So maybe someone can point me to another series that has the same strengths:
- no overly effeminate male characters. (I mean it)
- no big eyed female characters that sound like a squealing mouse and are either helpless tits or exaggerated bad-ass tits on-a-stick.
- reasonably believable world.
- no super exaggerated overpowered characters, all the special powers they have are reasonable.
- good amount of action.
- serious world changing story while also being funny.
- "not too Japanese" visual style

Thanks, and looking forward to finding another series as good as Avatar.
Does avatar really have special powers that one could consider "reasonable?".

IMO you should ignore some people in this thread. You're clearly looking for a shonen action anime (or maybe just an action anime) and they're telling you to watch slice of life shows, which is the exact opposite of what you want.

Try Samurai Champloo. It's a bit silly, a bit serious, but it's a pretty good show that I think meets your criteria.

I actually think Wakfu, a French show, might be up your alley.

Malek

Aug 1, 2012
DarkRyter said:
stef1987 said:
Seriously ?
Orihime (bleach) is the exact manifestation of "squealing mouse helpless tits", and Nami (one piece) is "exaggerated bad-ass tits"
I have no idea who those characters are.
You forgot Orihime? She's the girl that would scream Ichigo's name 300 times a fight and every time he was about to lose he would hear her and remember he had friends and would become even more retardedly overpowered. It was awful and annoying.

By the way Deadman Wonderland is pretty good and pretty much fits all of those but it's extremely gory and depressing.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
I'd recommend Samurai Champloo because, barring the non-Japanese criterion (it's set in feudal Japan after all), I think fits all other criteria. It's sword-fighting goodness set to a pretty good hip-hop soundtrack. Pretty good story too. Oh yeah and it's made by the guys that also made Cowboy Bebop.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Malek said:
You forgot Orihime? She's the girl that would scream Ichigo's name 300 times a fight and every time he was about to lose he would hear her and remember he had friends and would become even more retardedly overpowered. It was awful and annoying.
You mean orange bleach?
Suki_ said:
Actually since I am a dick it is an anime. Its animated so its an anime. I dont give a shit about your twisted definition of what anime is but your wrong.
okay. you seem pretty trustworthy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"'You can't have eggs, bacon, SPAM, and sausage without the SPAM!'
'But I don't like SPAM!!'"

You can't have Japanese Animation, or Anime for short, without the Japanese.