Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Black Lagoon
Hellsing / Hellsing Ultimate
Desert Punk (maybe)
Boku No Pico
Soul Eater
Baccano!

There, that should be enough to keep ya busy!
Gatx said:
Since you're coming off of Avatar, I would recommend FLCL, which was apparently very influential for them (probably more in terms of animation than story). Supposedly every member of the team working on Avatar was required to watch FLCL.

Already mentioned above but definitely check out Fate/Zero, highly recommended. Alternate history crossover fanfiction, but professionally written, and good. Second season opens with King Arthur, Alexander the Great, and Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, fighting against Cthulhu, who was summoned by Gilles de Rais. How does that not sound awesome!? But I have to disagree with some of the above posts - watch it FIRST, even if it is a prequel that came out after. For one thing you're not missing out on any story because, you know, prequel, but also the Stay Night anime just isn't good. The story is all over the place because it tried to incorporate elements from all possible endings of the game, and the animation is just subpar, especially when compared to Zero which is practically movie quality.

Marik2 said:
How about IGPX?

And anime is cartoons.
Holy crap, someone else who watched it!!

I'd also recommend watching the English dub. It's not something you'll hear often from more "hardcore" anime fans, and if you're just getting into anime you'll probably watch the English dub anyway, but man is the voice talent in this show amazing. Haley Joel Osment, Mark Hamill, and Lance Henriksen, I repeat, Lance Henriksen!
Greyfox105 said:
Since no one has said it yet, I'll recomend Steins;Gate.
It's a serious animé based around time travel. And a rather good one at that.
I don't want to spoil it too much, so I'll just leave it at that.
^That,seriously,listen to those guys
That said,i recommend you Kara no Kyoukai,it was made by the same guys that made Fate/Zero,however,the main character is somewhat overpowered and is also a girl,it is quite japanese,and while there is action there is very little of it but it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBrWcKIteAo
Also,if you are the little bit interested in the Fate/series, stay away from the Fate/Stay night anime,the VN was awesome personified,however the anime is utter crap
EDIT:can someone tell me how to properly link videos?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
K1CKER said:
Hey there anime lovers!

Me, I`ve always hated all kinds of anime series BUT I`ve watched Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra lately and I have to say they are really good.

So maybe someone can point me to another series that has the same strengths:
- no overly effeminate male characters. (I mean it)
- no big eyed female characters that sound like a squealing mouse and are either helpless tits or exaggerated bad-ass tits on-a-stick.
- reasonably believable world.
- no super exaggerated overpowered characters, all the special powers they have are reasonable.
- good amount of action.
- serious world changing story while also being funny.
- "not too Japanese" visual style

Thanks, and looking forward to finding another series as good as Avatar.
"now and then, here and there." amazing story that gets really dark, really fast. theres only one character who has any powers and that character rarely ever uses it and everyone else is basically just trying to survive. the main character is a kid so hes obviously not exactly super masculine, but hes certainly not at all effeminate either. the females are about as far from giggling schoolgirls as you can get. they arent absurdly badass but they can take care of themselves. they have all had extremely shitty lives and have had to endure extreme physical, emotional, and mental trauma. it is certainly not funny though. it deals with shit like rape, torture, murder, child soldiers, and the psychological impact of war

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
I highly recommend Naoki Urasawa's Monster. It has no super powers, anime tropes or zaniness. The characters and the world is drawn realistic. It takes place in post Berlin Wall, East Germany and is this amazing thriller (perfect if you like drama thrillers like Breaking Bad or Dexter). It is about a surgeon who saves this kid who grows up to be a charismatic serial killer. Soon the murders are being blamed on him so he has to try and avoid the police and stop the killer. It has a plot that feels realistic and some of the best plotting and characterization I have seen in an anime. I was so burned out by anime until I have found this series. It also has an amazing crescendo are a finale that won't disappoint.

Another series I recommend is Hell Girl, Jigoku no shoujo. It is about this website where entering someone's name sends them to hell, but the caveat is that you will go to hell when you die. The hell girl and her small group from hell aren't really evil, they actually pity people and just offer the choice. Each episode is about whether or not the person will ferry their tormentor to hell. It is a dark series with actually some really gripping personal stories. Fans of Deathnote should enjoy this one too.

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
K1CKER said:
Visually, try Samurai Jack
Haha and maybe I.G.P.X.

Otherwise in order I'd recommend:
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
oh and maybe Trigun

Don't let the names deceive ya' at least google each and read a bit or watch a pilot from each of them. Won't tame more than an hour or two of your time and it spreads your taste a bit.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
K1CKER said:
haha

kinda true but if I can dig up ONE I can watch it`s worth it

also, there are plenty of games where u don`t have to press buttons fyi :)
Ok...yeah.

I guess it's more akin to going into an Itlaian restaraunt and ordering a burger.

Navarone9942

Jun 2, 2009
Excell Saga, seriously watch it. Cat Shit One (really) is good but I dont think its ever gettin any more episodes, ever :mad: I've been watchin Death Note and its likely youd like that, maybe Soul Eater. IMHO stay away from Neon Genesis unless you love really crap endings...

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Darker Than Black and Cowboy Bebop are basically what you are looking for as they fit all the categories you mentioned.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Grenge Di Origin said:
This is where I stopped reading DarkRytar's post and concluded that he (or she) has zero taste. One Piece? Okay, that's fine, but out of all the series to select for no overblown and exaggerated characters, you choose Bleach and Naruto?
It's not a matter about giving him what I think is good. It's about giving him what he wants, and ultimately the big three have more in common with Avatar than 90 percent of everyone else's recommendations (which tend to be just copy pasted from people's personal top ten lists). They're all eating from the same "super powered young male protagonist participates in world changing conflicts against other super powered individuals" tree.

And it's ultimately not your place or mine, to decide whether they're good or bad. It's his.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
If it hasn't already been mentioned; Black Lagoon. It's everything you're looking for.

Also I saw someone mention Bastard, it has a lot of useless breasts in it so I wouldn't recommend it.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Azurian said:
Really shocked no one mentioned the classic Cromartie High School

oh lawd. I showed Cromartie to all my friends, even the ones who hate anime. They loved it. Not gonna say it has universal appeal, but if you like occasionally nonsensical comedy it's for you.

John Pepperell

Mar 4, 2011
I have i couple of good ones and a few that might be a bit of a stretch, first the good ones for the list
Slayers(mid-evil era plus magic and a female main character who is one of the most powerful human of the planet)
El hazard
Zoids((animal mech fights)both of the series that you can find in english)
Case closed(great mystery series)
S-Cry-Ed(think x-men but in japan isolated on an island)
Now for the ones that are just a bit of a stretch
G-gundam(it is kind of hammy but it is a quality series that has some good drama to it)
Yu-yu Hakusho(It is a great series but thre are some powers that are just a hair to strong)

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
evilneko said:
You must be new here.

People only read the OP in R&P. ;)

(Hey, if OT gets to call R&P the dungeon, I can complain about people not reading OPs elsewhere :p)
OP, R&P, OT ?
what ?
I have no idea what you're saying

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Black Butler. Set in old-time London, extremely funny, good action, and a really interesting, deep and world-encompassing story line. There are a couple fairly powerful characters but it's very reasonable when you find out what they are (which isn't initially revealed but gets perfectly hinted at and eventually revealed throughout), also they don't make regular-powered characters irrelevant or useless like shows such as DBZ tend to do over time. This is only the first season, mind you. As I haven't seen the second because I can't find a good dub and fuck reading moving images.

Secondly, not EVERYONE does (or can) watch The Walking Dead, escapist captcha!! ,!,, (that's a middle finger)

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Lately I've been watching this currently ongoing anime called Hunter X Hunter ( The 2011 version)

I hate to say I've been obsessed with it lately. What I love about it is its unique ability system ( In the vein of Spiritual Pressure, Chakra, Magic, Magicka, etc.) called Nen. Nen is the ability to manipulate your spiritual aura into a variety of ways. Not only is it interesting and creative, bu also it's thoroughly throughout ( There are techniques, Allignments, etc.

There is almost no fanservice ( Maybe if you like 12 year old in wife beaters.), and non of the main characters are really super overpowered. ( All 4 of the main characters are capable fighters who have defeated their fair share of opponents, but they are just the runt of the liter. There are plenty of people who who would easily wipe their asses with them)

Another reason I like it is that there is no Power Level crap. You can't win a fight just by saying "FRIENDSHIP!!!!!! IT GIVES ME POWER CHARGE!!!!" A Powerful opponent could be defeated by weaker opponents. The outcome just depends on how you use your abilities in the situation.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
i would say Naruto..

but if you really wanna try something else...

Elfen Lied
Ao No Exorcist

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
The TC has a very specific need in terms of what he's looking for...

Anyway this was covered in one of the escapist podcasts recently, that in american culture they like the big muscle bound dude to win. In asian culture the males are generally more feminine and that is their typical hero.

From what he described I'd recommend playing Call of Duty rather than watching anime... it's just not for everyone.

Also I lol'd at not too overpowered when he liked Avatar, (don't get me wrong i love Avatar but...) Aang has one of the most OP powers ever, avatar state.

I'm going to go a little left field here and say try "The Last Exile",
while "believable world" might be a little bit of a stretch, the rest of your requests would have been met. It's a steampunk post cataclysm setting where land floats in the sky and they use low tech flying machines to traverse the last bastion of humanity, there's bureaucracy and stuff... maybe not.

togutas

Jan 23, 2012
I can't help myself with these threads

Kino's journey is just wonderful. A story with the simplicity of a children's fairy tale but by no means is a children's show, in fact it is one of the most mature shows I have seen

now and then here and there is an anime made by the guy behind Grave of the fireflies and is just as heart breaking and even more disturbing and harrowing. Do not watch if you just want light entertainment. It's nothing short of a masterpiece

If your a fan of genuine Sci fi film and literature like the films moon and silent running or the works of Asimov Planetes is the anime for you

Gankutsuo is a retelling of the famous Dumas novel The Count of Monte Cristo, using the story as a basis but reworking them into a story that differs on many levels from the book but still stays true to the source (I also prefer the anime to the book)

Oh and the animation style never gets old

AND finally Fullmetal Alchemist if you haven't seen it. It is by quite a long way my favourite anime, beating the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Beserk, revolutionary girl uetena, baccano and all the above. It is a fantasy epic that I hold up with the like of the Lord of the Rings novels and the Earthsea Trilogy. In fact I like it more than either of them. It is quite simply on of the best stories written in any medium due to how heartfelt and personal it is with some of the most well realised characters in anime while at the same time being a fantastic fantasy epic. It has some flaws but they are negligible.

I cant find a trailer that does the series justice. The OST is more fitting of the tone Oh an watch the original NOT BROTHERHOOD whatever people may tell you its an inferior work IMO

silverskystar

Jun 22, 2012
Well, I'm surprised at how many people already mentioned it but Darker Than Black seems to fit all of your criteria, especially the "serious world changing story while also being funny" part.I guess you could call it X-Men meets Stalker (the movie).

The first few episodes aren't amazing, but with an early on plot twist it's easy to get sucked into the story. All of the "powers" are balanced out by a "price," and it's Studio Bones so the action is smooth. Also, though the setting is in Tokyo, amazingly most of the main characters aren't Japanese, and not every foreigner is a blond and blue-eyed American. (There is a blond and blue-eyed British James Bond-inspired character, though.)

Other than Darker Than Black, Baccano, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Black Lagoon are probably also good bets.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
togutas said:
now and then here and there is an anime made by the guy behind Grave of the fireflies and is just as heart breaking and even more disturbing and harrowing. Do not watch if you just want light entertainment. It's nothing short of a masterpiece

Fun fact; both Now and Then, Here and There director Akitaro Daichi and writer Hideyuki Kurata were more widely known for their lighthearted, comedy-bordering-on-shojo projects prior to N&T,H&T.

Captcha: "teh inter webs"...OH GOD THE CAPTCHA KNOWS!!! IT IS THE YEAR OF THE APOCALYPSE!!!