Shower Thoughts MK2

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Why don't delivery people knock anymore? I'm talking Amazon, UPS, USPS, etc. It used to be they'd drop a parcel off and give a complimentary rap on the door even if no signature or other confirmation of delivery was required. Now? I open the door and my piece of the True Cross signed by Jesus himself is just sitting there, unceremoniously dropped on the door mat waiting to be tripped over or stolen because it was delivered hours before I'd even a notion to open the front door. One would think knocking would have become MORE common since the pandemic and upsurge in "from home" shopping, but it seems to have gone the exact opposite direction.
Interestingly, that's the norm where I live as well. So it's an international thing maybe. I'm guessing the SOP during the pandemic was as little contact as possible, and they've stuck to it.

I mean, even when the delivery person is required to ensure we recieved the package, they'd rather call or text through the app instead of just pressing the doorbell. Which is quite annoying, I hate answering calls from unknown numbers.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Interestingly, that's the norm where I live as well. So it's an international thing maybe. I'm guessing the SOP during the pandemic was as little contact as possible, and they've stuck to it.

I mean, even when the delivery person is required to ensure we recieved the package, they'd rather call or text through the app instead of just pressing the doorbell. Which is quite annoying, I hate answering calls from unknown numbers.
Given package theft was an extremely hot topic when delivery drivers were basically the only people on the roads a couple of years ago, you'd think a return to form knocking upon delivery would be the first response to ensure satisfaction and safe delivery, but it's basically gone away. Yeah, I've got the Amazon app that tells me when my package is out for delivery, but if the guy/gal is already two feet from the door, what's the harm in announcing themselves like they used to? They don't even need to wait for me to open the door, just let me know, in real time, that I've got potentially valuable and/or critical property sitting in the open on my porch.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Do shitty journalists create Twitter accounts just so they can falsify a source to write an article out of? Cause it would seem this one does at the very least...

Their source for the quote being circulated around this and other tabloid rag headlines?

A profile created last month with 0...yes zero followers and literally only 2 posts : the one quoted and their own reply to it;

Screenshot_20221031-223502.png

Is this one of things that should be illegal but bafflingly isn't?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
If Klingons are such great hunters why do they mostly eat worms? It's such a weird bit of Star Trek lore.

Why don't delivery people knock anymore? I'm talking Amazon, UPS, USPS, etc. It used to be they'd drop a parcel off and give a complimentary rap on the door even if no signature or other confirmation of delivery was required. Now? I open the door and my piece of the True Cross signed by Jesus himself is just sitting there, unceremoniously dropped on the door mat waiting to be tripped over or stolen because it was delivered hours before I'd even a notion to open the front door. One would think knocking would have become MORE common since the pandemic and upsurge in "from home" shopping, but it seems to have gone the exact opposite direction.
Also why don't they put things in the mailbox anymore? I have a nice big mailbox perfect for large envelopes and small packages that will hide them from the casual glances of passersby and protect them from the weather, but the package is always laying 2 feet away on the doorstep getting rained on.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Also why don't they put things in the mailbox anymore? I have a nice big mailbox perfect for large envelopes and small packages that will hide them from the casual glances of passersby and protect them from the weather, but the package is always laying 2 feet away on the doorstep getting rained on.
I believe that's because only the post office (USPS) can use your actual mailbox. Don't quote me on that though, as I have done zero research to support my answer.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I believe that's because only the post office (USPS) can use your actual mailbox. Don't quote me on that though, as I have done zero research to support my answer.
Can't be because they still put flyers in there whenever someone feels like delivering them. Also Canada Post doesn't even use the mailbox anymore, they have their own little boxes that every block shares.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In 1948, Orwell wrote a novel and gave it the title of the year with the last two digits reversed, thus 1984. If he was writing it today it'd be 2022. Which, um, yeah.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
What do you call it when you have a straight-laced individual with a friend that isn't. The straight-laced person won't let that friend down even if they get led into trouble because of it. What's the trope I'm looking for here?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What do you call it when you have a straight-laced individual with a friend that isn't. The straight-laced person won't let that friend down even if they get led into trouble because of it. What's the trope I'm looking for here?
I think it's just "friendship." Not sure if there exists a specific term outside of terms like "toxic" or "codependent" for effectively a lopsided relationship as you're indicating, and such terns bring certain stigmas with them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The names, Emma, Edward and Alfred were used in the same time, place and family as Æthelred, Ælfgifu and Godgifu, some 1000 years go in England, and some of those names survived and seem modern some have not and seem archaic.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
With all the Ukraine business and new NATO memberships driven by it, I remembered that the US has adopted a new rifle with a new caliber bullet.

So, as basically the senior partner of NATO, are they sticking with 5.56mm as the ‘NATO Standard’ round or will there be a mandate at some stage for member states to transition to 6.7mm and probably a new rifle to boot?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
With all the Ukraine business and new NATO memberships driven by it, I remembered that the US has adopted a new rifle with a new caliber bullet.

So, as basically the senior partner of NATO, are they sticking with 5.56mm as the ‘NATO Standard’ round or will there be a mandate at some stage for member states to transition to 6.7mm and probably a new rifle to boot?
Isn't 5,56 "a" NATO standard, not "the" NATO standard? 7.62x51 is a NATO standard as well, and if a nation wanted to use 7.62 battle rifles instead of 5.56 assault rifles I think that's ok? So if it becomes a new standard it might not replace the old standards. IIRC, they were going to add 5.7mm as a new standard for pistol rounds, not replacing the 9x19, but Germany wanted the 4.6mm instead (because it's from that country) and when they didn't get their way they blocked it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Imagine how awful it would be if our ears got congested like our noses and throats. I know they kinda do, but at least it doesn't ooze outta there like snot or phlegm.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Imagine how awful it would be if our ears got congested like our noses and throats. I know they kinda do, but at least it doesn't ooze outta there like snot or phlegm.
Hmmm, probably better, IMHO, than nose or throat. Wouldn't interfere with breathing or talking, and if you've got two functioning ears and only one was affected, you'd still be able to hear.