Shower Thoughts MK2

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Hmmm, probably better, IMHO, than nose or throat. Wouldn't interfere with breathing or talking, and if you've got two functioning ears and only one was affected, you'd still be able to hear.
I'm no doctor, but I'd guess that having that much gunk in your ears would compromise more than just your hearing.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Isn't 5,56 "a" NATO standard, not "the" NATO standard? 7.62x51 is a NATO standard as well, and if a nation wanted to use 7.62 battle rifles instead of 5.56 assault rifles I think that's ok? So if it becomes a new standard it might not replace the old standards. IIRC, they were going to add 5.7mm as a new standard for pistol rounds, not replacing the 9x19, but Germany wanted the 4.6mm instead (because it's from that country) and when they didn't get their way they blocked it.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not military logistical expert but to my knowledge, 5.56 is the cartridge of choice for the infantry issued rifle of basically every nation in NATO, and a shitload that aren't. The SIG Spear/M-5 is going to replace the M-16 as the army and marine infantry rifle. Also Germany aren't the United States in terms of weight to throw around: if the US wants 6.7mm as the new defacto infantry rifle round then its probably going to get it.

But who knows. The phased introduction of the M-5 is gonna take a while, plenty of shit could happen in the mean time.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not military logistical expert but to my knowledge, 5.56 is the cartridge of choice for the infantry issued rifle of basically every nation in NATO, and a shitload that aren't. The SIG Spear/M-5 is going to replace the M-16 as the army and marine infantry rifle. Also Germany aren't the United States in terms of weight to throw around: if the US wants 6.7mm as the new defacto infantry rifle round then its probably going to get it.
Doesn't matter. NATO members ignore NATO standards whenever they want, especially if their prefered standard isn't the one chosen... and the best example of that is the US not using NATO standard 5.56mmN rounds for a few decades. The French also did the same thing for around a decade or so.

Annnnd there's actually a reason for that, their service rifles at those times were designed to fire a different variant of 5.56mmN. They can still fire the STANAG compliant ammo but it wasn't optimal.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm no doctor, but I'd guess that having that much gunk in your ears would compromise more than just your hearing.
Probably not, I've known people that have had so much earwax built up that it affects their hearing, and they are fine after getting it cleaned out.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'll be the first to admit I'm not military logistical expert but to my knowledge, 5.56 is the cartridge of choice for the infantry issued rifle of basically every nation in NATO, and a shitload that aren't.
Oh sure, I meant that the 7.62 is still a NATO standard in widespread use despite that.

The SIG Spear/M-5 is going to replace the M-16 as the army and marine infantry rifle. Also Germany aren't the United States in terms of weight to throw around: if the US wants 6.7mm as the new defacto infantry rifle round then its probably going to get it.
They could probably get it added as a new standard NATO round, but they can't make the rest of NATO abandon the 5.56.

(Oh, and the US military has mostly replaced the M-16 with the M-4, but that's only marginal relevant)

The French also did the same thing for around a decade or so.

Annnnd there's actually a reason for that, their service rifles at those times were designed to fire a different variant of 5.56mmN. They can still fire the STANAG compliant ammo but it wasn't optimal.
Wasn't that because they left NATO, (or at least the standardisation part, can't remember) before they adopted the FAMAS, and decided to be different because nationalism or something?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
They could probably get it added as a new standard NATO round, but they can't make the rest of NATO abandon the 5.56.
The shareholders of H&K and FN Herstal wouldn't stand for it... because they're always down for a good old pissing contest when it has anything to do with standardisation regarding small arms for NATO.

Wasn't that because they left NATO, (or at least the standardisation part, can't remember) before they adopted the FAMAS, and decided to be different because nationalism or something?
Nah, was the 1st gen FAMAS that used a non-standardised 5.56mmN round... of course, to be fair, most of the FAMAS' development was done when France was on.. ummm... sabbatical from NATO.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I've never met anyone that dislikes potatoes, I wonder what kind of person would dislike potatoes.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
If I attach my exhaust pipe to my letter box will my house be a bit fucking warmer?
If you park on the street, I wouldn't think so. Not unless you insulated the exhaust hose. It'd probably be more cost effective to get a little charcoal heater.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Having vaguely remembered some people online before mentioning they think Alan Moore mat have gone off the deep end believing in magic or something, there's this interview here with him where he (eventually) goes over just how philosophically loosey goosey he is with the term, compared to how most people use it.

Now, tbf that doesn't mean he hasn't gone off the deep end. Just that it isn't evidenced from his banter about magic and shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan