Shower Thoughts MK2

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ever notice fruit flavored candy never actually tastes like the fruit it's supposed to taste like? Like orange flavor candy does not taste like an actual orange, nor does grape flavor taste like real grapes, or banana flavor like a banana.
TBH, I'd be fuming if I bought sweets and ended up eating fruit. What brand has a banana flavour? That seems weird!

You are right though. I love cherry sweets, but the idea of eating actual cherries is kind of gross to me.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
How come high pitched Japanese voices in anime are so much less grating than when English speaking women attempt the same thing? Do Japanese women just have a naturally higher register so it sounds less forced and unnatural?

Reactions: Absent

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
How come high pitched Japanese voices in anime are so much less grating than when English speaking women attempt the same thing? Do Japanese women just have a naturally higher register so it sounds less forced and unnatural?
Might be a case of acclimatization. If you only hear Japanese when listening to media and they occasionally go high pitched then that is one of the quirks that you are accustomed to in anime, whereas English you hear every day and therefore you can pick up on when it goes against what you consider to be normal English.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Might be a case of acclimatization. If you only hear Japanese when listening to media and they occasionally go high pitched then that is one of the quirks that you are accustomed to in anime, whereas English you hear every day and therefore you can pick up on when it goes against what you consider to be normal English.
That's honestly why I prefer to watch stuff like anime or JRPGs in Japanese with subtitles. If the English voice acting is bad then I'll be acutely aware of it for the entire time. In Japanese with subs I might have a basic concept that a given thing has lower or higher quality in general terms, but I won't be aware of what is making it good or bad.

Not having a good grasp of the language shields me from being bothered by any specific thing unless it's somebody like, actually trying to be bad or annoying. Sometimes I miss out when a comedy bit really depends on delivery so its not foolproof though.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
If I could make my own social media website app type dealio, it'd be called "Don't let it go to your head" and the likes/hearts would be instead 'Head Pats' presented by cute lil proud doggo head symbols as default, but also customisable to other species of dog and a wide variety of other animals to suit whomever whatever desires. Haven't thought much else beyond this tho.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If I could make my own social media website app type dealio, it'd be called "Don't let it go to your head" and the likes/hearts would be instead 'Head Pats' presented by cute lil proud doggo head symbols as default, but also customisable to other species of dog and a wide variety of other animals to suit whomever whatever desires. Haven't thought much else beyond this tho.
How about a social media site that doesn't allow comments? Just let people post whatever they want with others only able to view and stew on their own thoughts to see how many rectums you could rupture as the outrage finds the weakest link to expel itself.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
What's this thing of just adding 'DNA' to product names to suggest it's some sort of uber hybrid killing machine meshing of perfect creatures? Swear to god I saw sockDNA the other day (it was socks).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What's this thing of just adding 'DNA' to product names to suggest it's some sort of uber hybrid killing machine meshing of perfect creatures? Swear to god I saw sockDNA the other day (it was socks).
It's to inspire weird fanfics, I assume.

(I remember before it took off when 40k was doing it because it was a silly thing that the tech-priests in the future age of barbarism believed)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm down now to a size 34 in pants. The only that sucks that I need to get new jeans now. I've already gotten a couple, but my plan is just to get two pairs every paycheck. I'm also going to need new cargo shorts, cargo pants, and new dress pants unfortunately.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Never regret that yor beloved setting or franchise is under-represented in medias, movies, series, games etc.

It preserves it better than any sudden popular craze and avalanche of by-products. Tolkien and Star Wars were better off when Star Trek was the only thing that got funded for a million series and movies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never regret that yor beloved setting or franchise is under-represented in medias, movies, series, games etc.

It preserves it better than any sudden popular craze and avalanche of by-products. Tolkien and Star Wars were better off when Star Trek was the only thing that got funded for a million series and movies.
Somewhat on and off topic, it's funny now Hollywood sold out to the Chinese so much back in the 2010s only for everything to fall through at the start of 2020. Franchises such as Star wars and Transformers. I have no problem expanding audiences, but when it's done in such a pandering way or erasing people that exist in the actual movie for promotion, that leaves a lot of bad feelings and is distasteful. It shows that corpos are willing to sell out anybody for a quick buck, but at the same time karma caught up to them in some form. The Chinese pretty much told all the dick suckers to screw off. Not to mention equality drop from studios such as DC and Marvel Disney.

Back on point, I don't mind something that I like, was or is underappreciated, getting more recognition. Especially when it got crapped on the first time around or at some point because of snobby buttholes with their heads up their asses. It's why I'm so happy for the success of Streets of Rage 4, and the brawling genre living in a new age. It's appreciated by those who were either curious, or knew what in the hell they were actually playing. Any critics that had a problem with the game, or felt the recent new life to the genre has nothing new to the table, most people ignored it and didn't take them seriously. And better yet, called them out for the bull crap in many cases.

@Absent , you ever seen Drive (1997)? That's one movie that was really underappreciated during the 90s, but built up a cold following in the 2000s, and has been getting more recognition since 2020. If you like buddy style action movies, I highly recommend it. The action scenes are on point and it uses a blend of American Cinema in Hong Kong Cinema that's just right. Rush Hour wouldn't exist without this movie. Make sure to get the recently released that came out in 2020. It's available both on Blu-ray and dvd. It features the director's cut, and the real version of the movie. Not that crappy theatrical cut that came out in the states.

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Back on point, I don't mind something that I like was or is underappreciated it getting more recognition.
Recognition is one thing, but then milking is another. For instance, Tintin is widely recognized, but fortunately, for all his flaws (and damn the guy is a gigantic turd), Nick Rodwell managed to limit its bastardization and extension to a single shitty Spielberg movie (of which he's extremely proud), a semi-faithful-ish cartoon, and a mountain of little figurines that don't add or substract anything to the stories - you don't get Haddock prequels or shit like that. It retained pretty well its original cohesion and quality (whichever it was). As opposed to Tolkien or Star Wars or Ghostbusters or Alien or to some extend Asterix being diluted in more and most somewhat canon fanfictioney trash.

But yes, on the other hand, once a thing I like gets an adaptation from other authors, I also prefer those to be multiple rather than having this new author crushing the original under his own vision and interpretation. I'm happy there's two major Dune cinema adaptations (plus miniseries) instead of just one. I'd be unhappy, however, if Disney bought it for three thousands Duneverse tv series and expanded universe movies (it's slowly getting there, though).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Recognition is one thing, but then milking is another. For instance, Tintin is widely recognized, but fortunately, for all his flaws (and damn the guy is a gigantic turd), Nick Rodwell managed to limit its bastardization and extension to a single shitty Spielberg movie (of which he's extremely proud), a semi-faithful-ish cartoon, and a mountain of little figurines that don't add or substract anything to the stories - you don't get Haddock prequels or shit like that. It retained pretty well its original cohesion and quality (whichever it was).
I love the Tin-Tin cartoon growing up in the mid to late 90s. I thought the Steven Spielberg movie was pretty good. It was definitely a better Uncharted movie than the official Uncharted movie. I didn't know the original creator of Tin-Tin was a gigantic douche.
But yes, on the other hand, once a thing I like gets an adaptation from other authors, I also prefer those to be multiple rather than having this new author crushing the original under his own vision and interpretation. I'm happy there's two major Dune cinema adaptations (plus miniseries) instead of just one. I'd be unhappy, however, if Disney bought it for three thousands Duneverse tv series and expanded universe movies (it's slowly getting there, though).
For further irony, Disney ended up making the same mistakes a lot of the old expanded universe Star wars novels and comics did. Making all their retconning and dumping of old expanded universe material even more pointless. It's why I pretty much lost all interest in Star wars. Not to mention how toxic the fan base can be. I know there is good people there, but it sounds you're not worth sticking around that's how some people are going to act in Disney constantly caters to them. I've heard they learned their lesson with Andor, but it's not enough to get me back. I like Star Wars Visions, but I'm just waiting for a physical release of that. Other than that, I am not getting anything else SW related. Rise of Skywalker burned me really hard.

By the way, that movie recommendation was for you. I put the wrong name down. I corrected it in my previous post.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I thought the Steven Spielberg movie was pretty good. It was definitely a better Uncharted movie than the official Uncharted movie.
Yeah but it wasn't a very good Tintin. And the uncanney valley designs were a bit horrendous if you're used to the comics.
I didn't know the original creator of Tin-Tin was a gigantic douche.
Also Nick Rodwell isn't the author of Tintin (the creator of Tintin was named "Hergé", which is actually the french sound of his initials, R.G. for Georges Rémi). Rodwell is the businessman who married the widow of Tintin's creator, got a hold on its copyright and decided to turn it into a commercial empire. He did uphold Hergé's wish for no one to continue the series, so that's a good thing. But he also went ruthlessly down on all and any usage of the Tintin imagery, sueing everyone, forbidding for instance bookshop owners to draw a Tintin among other the famous characters on their frontshop, etc. Hergé was much more understanding and tolerant. Rodwell is just heartlessly trying to maximize profit and channel everything Tintin-related, focusing on the rich collectors market instead of the kids that Tintin exists for, etc. He's detested by everyone who deals with comic books and everyone who's into Tintin. All the anecdotes about him, his behaviour, his decisions, his strategies, are absolutely nauseating.

Hergé was only a bit of a douche. He was raised by pro-nazi catholic priests in early 20th century Belgium, so of course his first albums were very colonialist, racist and antisemitic. But he was also a very clever and honest man, and kept evolving, questionning himself, struggling with his own education, during his whole life. It shows with his sories, which become more progressive with time, and it also shows in his interviews. He's a very touching personality, and I really wish he had lived longer.

Also, I didn't know of that one "Drive" (I enjoyed the 2011 Gosling one, but this has nothing to do with it - how many movies share that title or variations of it ? Driver, Driven...).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah but it wasn't a very good Tintin. And the uncanney valley designs were a bit horrendous if you're used to the comics.
I considerate it a good Tintin movie. I never read the comics, but I remember enough of the cartoons. I know people complain about that uncanny valley effect, but I never noticed that nor did it bother me.

Also Nick Rodwell isn't the author of Tintin (the creator of Tintin was named "Hergé", which is actually the french sound of his initials, R.G. for Georges Rémi). Rodwell is the businessman who married the widow of Tintin's creator, got a hold on its copyright and decided to turn it into a commercial empire. He did uphold Hergé's wish for no one to continue the series, so that's a good thing. But he also went ruthlessly down on all and any usage of the Tintin imagery, sueing everyone, forbidding for instance bookshop owners to draw a Tintin among other the famous characters on their frontshop, etc. Hergé was much more understanding and tolerant. Rodwell is just heartlessly trying to maximize profit and channel everything Tintin-related, focusing on the rich collectors market instead of the kids that Tintin exists for, etc. He's detested by everyone who deals with comic books and everyone who's into Tintin. All the anecdotes about him, his behaviour, his decisions, his strategies, are absolutely nauseating.

Hergé was only a bit of a douche. He was raised by pro-nazi catholic priests in early 20th century Belgium, so of course his first albums were very colonialist, racist and antisemitic. But he was also a very clever and honest man, and kept evolving, questionning himself, struggling with his own education, during his whole life. It shows with his sories, which become more progressive with time, and it also shows in his interviews. He's a very touching personality, and I really wish he had lived longer.
I just learned something new today.

Also, I didn't know of that one "Drive" (I enjoyed the 2011 Gosling one, but this has nothing to do with it - how many movies share that title or variations of it ? Driver, Driven...).
Too many to count.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Do rich people get colds? And if they do is there some sort of treatment they get that suppresses the symptoms (like, a lidocaine injection so they can't feel their sore, wealthy throat for a week) that the rest of us aren't going to be offered. I have a cold and I'm trying to decide who's fault it is.