Shower Thoughts MK2

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It's unfortunate, but there likely are individuals that are genetically superior to others. There kind of have to be with how evolution works (or used to work). Not, generally superior for the most part, but superior in specific and differing ways. Intellectually it's more difficult to measure and determine the effects of nature vs. nurture, but the fact that there are diseases and other negative conditions which are hereditary is proof enough that we were not all created equal. Whether or not the superior individuals are actually the ones claiming to be is another matter, though.
I'll just leave this here . . . .

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm not watching the video, but I hope you aren't implying that anything that I said could be construed as supporting white supremacists.
Quite the opposite. The intended implication was one of support and agreement. Apologies if that wasn't the implication that came across. That's my bad.

Titus' comedic takedown of white supremacists includes such gems as "You would think if you were part of the superior race, you could handle sunlight instead of needing a swim-shirt"

I do highly recommend the video. It is hilarious and a pretty good smackdown on these idiots.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Why's it called a 'minigun?' It's not mini at all.
Because the company that makes it designed it as a "mini-me" companion to their original design, the M61 Vulcan 20mm rotary cannon used in pretty much every US built aircraft for the past half a century.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Was there a surge in babies being called Walter during the run of Breaking Bad, and did people regret that by the end?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
but I dare say there's a few homeless husky because of it. Which is miserable.
Loads apparently, given they're particularly difficult dogs - big, ludicrously strong, territorial and a big prey drive. Also, they howl a lot! I'd have to assume that a person who picked a dog because it looked cool on the TV might not be an experienced dog owner. They do look cool though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently right after a Dirty Harry film came out, a bunch of people would buy .44 Magnum revolvers. There was little interest in them before, they didn't even make them continuously, but after the first film they doubled the price and they couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. A couple of months after each film, there was a surge in second hand versions on the market, because people found out that the most powerful handgun was powerful.

(Assuming that it actually was the most powerful handgun, that's another issue)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Apparently right after a Dirty Harry film came out, a bunch of people would buy .44 Magnum revolvers. There was little interest in them before, they didn't even make them continuously, but after the first film they doubled the price and they couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. A couple of months after each film, there was a surge in second hand versions on the market, because people found out that the most powerful handgun was powerful.

(Assuming that it actually was the most powerful handgun, that's another issue)
I'd love to know how this correlated with emergency room appearances for broken wrists and cracked foreheads when these yutzes brought their brand-new toys to the range and thought they'd have as little kick as a movie prop firing blanks.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'd love to know how this correlated with emergency room appearances for broken wrists and cracked foreheads when these yutzes brought their brand-new toys to the range and thought they'd have as little kick as a movie prop firing blanks.
Or people who've lost control of the weapon with their finger on the trigger and never had the opportunity to regret their purchase.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Or people who've lost control of the weapon with their finger on the trigger and never had the opportunity to regret their purchase.
I'm pretty sure releasing the trigger is what allows the mechanism to complete and the chamber to fully revolve. If you're holding down the trigger I think it just keeps it half way.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No, it's cocking the hammer that rotates the cylinder, and in a double-action revolver, pulling the trigger cocks the hammer. Releasing the trigger after firing only resets the trigger mechanism.
Fair enough, but keeping a trigger depressed on a revolver doesn't keep it firing does it?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, keeping the trigger depressed means nothing would happen, I meant "touching the trigger" or "inside the trigger guard". Pressure has to be released and then applied again to fire it a second time. Lose control of the weapon due to recoil and that can happen very quickly without the shooter intending it.