Shower Thoughts MK2

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Let us bring back this popular thread from the old forums.

I wonder if part of what turns kids away from broccoli and brussel sprouts more than other vegetables isn't their syllables. 3 syllables for each vegetable makes them longer and thus harder for little children to say which might turn them off from them a bit.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
"Damn that looks hot, I wonder if I still could... nah, well, probably, but is it worth risking my back for. I mean it was fun but... Probably not worth the risk of a slipped disk, plus I would need to get used to contorting again and how long will that take compared to how much do I feel like trying to do this."

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Does it count oas a shower thought when you're under the shower when yo'ure kind of drunk but you can't think of anything deep and profound but your still want to share somerthinhg but your phone is also getting wet?

Reactions: Kae

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Any time you're saying something is an acquired taste, you're admitting that you kept consuming something you disliked until you learn to ignore what you dislike about it and decide that you like it. Is this not the same principle behind Stockholm Syndrome?

Let us bring back this popular thread from the old forums.

I wonder if part of what turns kids away from broccoli and brussel sprouts more than other vegetables isn't their syllables. 3 syllables for each vegetable makes them longer and thus harder for little children to say which might turn them off from them a bit.
If my experience is anything to go off of? The principle offender is overcooking. Getting kids to dinner on time can be quite challenging, which often means that the veggies stay on the stove too long and get a bit overcooked, which makes them bitter, mushy, and far less palatable.

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Teletubbies is four syllables though. Also this may hold for English but not other languages that have highly aggluatinative morphology like Turkish ('arkadaşım' - 'my friend', which is twice the syllable length).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It’s real fucked up that a goblet is a kind of cup and not a tiny goblin.
Or a female goblin. I could see that actually. We use "ete" or some variant to denote female for a lot of words, seems natural for goblin too.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I feel like I should have seen this used or brought up before in a fantasy story...
Did you perhaps read the Xanth series? I seem to recall it using "goblet" to refer to young goblins a few times.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Or perhaps 'gobliness' ??
Yeah that could work too, but it doesn't sound as good at goblette to me. It doesn't flow as easily off the tongue, so I doubt it would be the one most commonly used in a "real world" setting, i.e a game world.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Yeah that could work too, but it doesn't sound as good at goblette to me. It doesn't flow as easily off the tongue, so I doubt it would be the one most commonly used in a "real world" setting, i.e a game world.
Yea..Mhm.. We ALL know the Real reason you like the sound of that!:p

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yea..Mhm.. We ALL know the Real reason you like the sound of that!:p
Well, ACTUALLY, Smurfette isn't a goblin, she's a golem if anything. :p Actually I don't know, did they make a green version of Smurfette that is some kind of goblin thing? I stopped watching that cartoon at like 7 years old, which was.....damn, 36 years ago, so yeah I don't remember much.

But yeah, that is a good example of what I mean, using the "ette" at the end to denote a female version of something. Dude, dudette, Smurf, smurfette, etc

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Well, ACTUALLY, Smurfette isn't a goblin, she's a golem if anything. :p Actually I don't know, did they make a green version of Smurfette that is some kind of goblin thing? I stopped watching that cartoon at like 7 years old, which was.....damn, 36 years ago, so yeah I don't remember much.

But yeah, that is a good example of what I mean, using the "ette" at the end to denote a female version of something. Dude, dudette, Smurf, smurfette, etc
I was thinking more along the lines of god, 'goddess', actor, actress, Mistress, waitress, stewardess, ect
I don't remember how smurfette turned green, but thought it fitting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I was thinking more along the lines of god, 'goddess', actor, actress, Mistress, waitress, stewardess, ect
I don't remember how smurfette turned green, but thought it fitting.
Oh I'm not disagreeing that -ess is a term for a female variant of some creature. I just mean that it's not always used, because sometimes -ette is used instead. And saying those 2 words out loud, goblette just seems like the one that would end up actually being used in speech in the fantasy worlds. For a couple of reasons. One, the -ess version just sounds far too formal and complimentary, which isn't usually the opinion people have about goblins in stories. They are usually not even considered second class citizens in most fantasy worlds, and never even get described in a way that would indicate they HAVE women, or even children. They are usually just the "nameless evil horde of vile little vermin" that attack the protagonists. So "gobliness" just doesn't sound like what they would use, if they even bothered to acknowledge a female goblin. Goblette, just, for one is shorter, implies they are an object (sounding like the thing you drink out of), and isn't as flattering of a word, at least how it sounds.

I know that's more actual deep thought for a Shower Thoughts thread, but I like to think about how fictional words would actually adopt some of the things we ascribe to them, culture wise.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Oh I'm not disagreeing that -ess is a term for a female variant of some creature. I just mean that it's not always used, because sometimes -ette is used instead. And saying those 2 words out loud, goblette just seems like the one that would end up actually being used in speech in the fantasy worlds. For a couple of reasons. One, the -ess version just sounds far too formal and complimentary, which isn't usually the opinion people have about goblins in stories. They are usually not even considered second class citizens in most fantasy worlds, and never even get described in a way that would indicate they HAVE women, or even children. They are usually just the "nameless evil horde of vile little vermin" that attack the protagonists. So "gobliness" just doesn't sound like what they would use, if they even bothered to acknowledge a female goblin. Goblette, just, for one is shorter, implies they are an object (sounding like the thing you drink out of), and isn't as flattering of a word, at least how it sounds.

I know that's more actual deep thought for a Shower Thoughts thread, but I like to think about how fictional words would actually adopt some of the things we ascribe to them, culture wise.
Now I am going to have to go write a "Lovely Goblin Tale" to change the image of all the goblinesses out there to improve their image. :ROFLMAO:
I must redeem all the dainty goblins out there.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde