Shower Thoughts MK2

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well one great example of...well for lack of a more ironic term "humanizing" goblins, is Snuff from Terry Pratchett. It's a Discworld book focused around Sam Vimes, and the Watch to a degree. And goblins play a large part in it. There are several examples of female goblins. There are other goblins who are depicted as being 3 dimensional and "human" in that world, but that's the one I can think of that REALLY focuses on them.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Well one great example of...well for lack of a more ironic term "humanizing" goblins, is Snuff from Terry Pratchett. It's a Discworld book focused around Sam Vimes, and the Watch to a degree. And goblins play a large part in it. There are several examples of female goblins. There are other goblins who are depicted as being 3 dimensional and "human" in that world, but that's the one I can think of that REALLY focuses on them.
I don't remember what the books were that I read when I was a kid, but I had one that was about a goblin kid in their family. I had another one about a troll family too, but I was like 6 so I can't remember what they were. There are kids stories out there, but I think they are pretty random in their depictions.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
We do need more cute goblin stuff.

And more Kobolds, never enough kobolds.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't remember what the books were that I read when I was a kid, but I had one that was about a goblin kid in their family. I had another one about a troll family too, but I was like 6 so I can't remember what they were. There are kids stories out there, but I think they are pretty random in their depictions.
Yeah I'm not saying they don't exist, but the predominant depiction of goblins is just "evil, weasle-like badguys. that are cowards and run, but can be dangerous if you turn your back on them or trust them at all." Which is why I enjoy it when people break that trope, and actually give them some depth. Because they are usually some of my favorite kind of characters in fiction. They are usually still small, kind of scheming, but it's more scheming because they have to be smart to survive, and not rely on strength. And the scheming isn't evil in nature it's stuff like "yeah sure, I'll dance here in the courtyard and distract the humans while my friends sneak into the tavern and steal some of the food, because we need to eat to survive. " they are usually like, Lovable Scamps more than Conniving Bastards.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Yeah I'm not saying they don't exist, but the predominant depiction of goblins is just "evil, weasle-like badguys. that are cowards and run, but can be dangerous if you turn your back on them or trust them at all." Which is why I enjoy it when people break that trope, and actually give them some depth. Because they are usually some of my favorite kind of characters in fiction. They are usually still small, kind of scheming, but it's more scheming because they have to be smart to survive, and not rely on strength. And the scheming isn't evil in nature it's stuff like "yeah sure, I'll dance here in the courtyard and distract the humans while my friends sneak into the tavern and steal some of the food, because we need to eat to survive. " they are usually like, Lovable Scamps more than Conniving Bastards.
I haven't found them yet ( Yes, now it is driving me crazy I can't remember what those books were so I have to look now) but I did find some other examples:

I didn't think of them as weasels, but more like gremlins.
See Gremlins can be cute and loveable or turn into horrible destructive monsters!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
We do need more cute goblin stuff.

And more Kobolds, never enough kobolds.
I am in favor of that. If you like cute kobolds, there is a book series, a LitRPG series that has the kobolds, basically portrayed like the nice goblins are portrayed.

It's "The Good Guys" series by Eric Ugland

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I am in favor of that. If you like cute kobolds, there is a book series, a LitRPG series that has the kobolds, basically portrayed like the nice goblins are portrayed.

It's "The Good Guys" series by Eric Ugland
Interesting. There are also cutebolds.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Some might consider it disturbing that we all have so many shower thoughts about Goblins. :ROFLMAO:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Some might consider it disturbing that we all have so many shower thoughts about Goblins. :ROFLMAO:
Well, they are neat.

I had an image here but the site kept messing up when I tried to add it

Oh, I remembered a couple webcomics I know about with Goblins.

The first is called Goblins and it follows DND but more meta DnD like there are player characters and such, the art starts out rough too but gets much better, it is pretty violent at times too.

Then there is Hero oh Hero, which is a pixel art web comic, one of the main characters is named Tobi and shes awesome and a goblin that comes from a civ that runs dungeons for loot and such before getting transported into the world of the bigger comic. It does take a bit for her to show up but its a quite good comic.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well, they are neat.

I had an image here but the site kept messing up when I tried to add it

Oh, I remembered a couple webcomics I know about with Goblins.

The first is called Goblins and it follows DND but more meta DnD like there are player characters and such, the art starts out rough too but gets much better, it is pretty violent at times too.

Then there is Hero oh Hero, which is a pixel art web comic, one of the main characters is named Tobi and shes awesome and a goblin that comes from a civ that runs dungeons for loot and such before getting transported into the world of the bigger comic. It does take a bit for her to show up but its a quite good comic.
There is a short run of Pathfinder modules where you get to play as the goblins of that setting, but you are from a particular tribe of goblins who have been "converted" by the Goddess of Light and Fire, I forget her name. But she's apparently all about allowing all beings of any race, the chance at redemption from evil ways, and being a force of Good in the fantasy world. And this one little tribe of goblins, they decided to follow her. Or at least their chieftess did? And they followed her instructions. It was a really damn fun model, as I made a goblin cleric of the goddess, and had a blast roleplaying him. Since heal spells were touch only, I would have him run up to people he was healing, and I would describe it as him slapping them hard enough to sting and shout "FEEL BETTAH!!" in my goblin squeaky voice. I also had a "greeting card" that I would read to people we encountered, because we had so many situations of people being like "ack! a goblin! kill it!" that he had prepared a speech. and it was like "Dear human, dwarf, long leg, not-gobbo of your choice! Hi! Yes we be gobbos, but we not eat you, we PROMISE! Though if you want volunteer limb for lunch, we no say no! We here to help you, because Pretty Fire Lady! (his name for the goddess as she is depicted as being beautiful and with hair made of flame) say you need help! So we help! Thank you for no stabbing, kicking, shooting, or zapping us while we save your long leg, not gobbo butts! Hail to Pretty Fire Lady, please dont kill us.!"

I had a LOT of fun roleplaying that guy. And I was definitely channeling a lot of the traits of the goblins from Discworld, as far as their temperament and personality. I kind of broke my GM at one point with a random joke line I said, that just had him giggling so hard he couldn't really get back into character for the human paladin of the same god , that I was talking to.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wait, we got rid of emotes? Who on earth was insecure enough to get upset at something as innocuous as emotes?
People started using them for trolling.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There is a short run of Pathfinder modules where you get to play as the goblins of that setting, but you are from a particular tribe of goblins who have been "converted" by the Goddess of Light and Fire, I forget her name. But she's apparently all about allowing all beings of any race, the chance at redemption from evil ways, and being a force of Good in the fantasy world. And this one little tribe of goblins, they decided to follow her. Or at least their chieftess did? And they followed her instructions. It was a really damn fun model, as I made a goblin cleric of the goddess, and had a blast roleplaying him. Since heal spells were touch only, I would have him run up to people he was healing, and I would describe it as him slapping them hard enough to sting and shout "FEEL BETTAH!!" in my goblin squeaky voice. I also had a "greeting card" that I would read to people we encountered, because we had so many situations of people being like "ack! a goblin! kill it!" that he had prepared a speech. and it was like "Dear human, dwarf, long leg, not-gobbo of your choice! Hi! Yes we be gobbos, but we not eat you, we PROMISE! Though if you want volunteer limb for lunch, we no say no! We here to help you, because Pretty Fire Lady! (his name for the goddess as she is depicted as being beautiful and with hair made of flame) say you need help! So we help! Thank you for no stabbing, kicking, shooting, or zapping us while we save your long leg, not gobbo butts! Hail to Pretty Fire Lady, please dont kill us.!"

I had a LOT of fun roleplaying that guy. And I was definitely channeling a lot of the traits of the goblins from Discworld, as far as their temperament and personality. I kind of broke my GM at one point with a random joke line I said, that just had him giggling so hard he couldn't really get back into character for the human paladin of the same god , that I was talking to.
HA, that sounds pretty awesome. It does make me want to play DnD, I have an idea for a character that is two kobolds in a trench coat.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
HA, that sounds pretty awesome. It does make me want to play DnD, I have an idea for a character that is two kobolds in a trench coat.
oh god that would be hilarious. not sure how the mechanics of it would work, but it would be fun as hell to roleplay that. you should have it be you and another player both control the 2 kobolds, and whenever there is an action "In-coat" you both roll a dice to see who gets to actually control the action that turn.