Shows, movies, etc. you hate on the conceptual level.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
The thread title is a bit confounding. Shouldn't it rather be titled "show, movie etc. concepts you hate"? Because if I hate show X because it's based on concept Y, doesn't that then imply that I also hate shows Z, N, M, A, and B because they share the same base concept?

OT: I've only seen two episodes of Blue Mountain State and I was drunk while watching it, but something about its base concept rubbed me the wrong way. Depicting college as a neverending party where you never have to study, get laid with hot chicks every 20 minutes (because all women in college are nymphomanic swimsuit models, am i right?), can drink for 48 hours without ever getting a hangover and apparently can still afford all that alcohol just looks like too much of a fantasy to be relatable to me. Like I said, I've only seen two episodes and they were quite entertaining and funny while I watched them and I've never been to a real American college, so I might be wrong.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Sleekit said:
Casual Shinji said:
"We must fight for our right and freedom to be pirates, so we can continue to murder, pillage, and rape! Huzzah!"
film aside "the pirate code" was real y'know ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_code ) ...rape is near always specifically mentioned as a no, no punishable by death...you need discipline on a ship, no ship ran without "articles" and they were ultimately businessmen of sorts...hell some the greatest of them all were "officially" in the navy...Drake, Morgan...
There is a difference between a code of conduct and a moral code. Every group has a code of conduct, even robbers.
And even when the code would protect other pirates and members of the crew, murder, pillage and rape was all fair game when dealing with people outside their group (especially those they pillage from)

OT: I am kind of tired of shows that have all-powerful, all-seeing secret societies that date back for centuries. Curiously enough, I have no problem in concept with agencies like SHIELD, but with those that include members like George Washington...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The Bachelor/Baccalaureate. So we're going to help this guy (or girl) find "love" out of a selection of bimbos (or the male equivalent) and make a gigantic public spectacle out of it. Riiiiiight. What a crock of shit. I don't know what's worse, the fact that some jackasses would be so desperate as to trust their love lives to this nonsense or that there's an audience for it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Shazskywalker said:
Elementary (TV Series) purely on the basis that they cast John Watson as a female, and the setting is in New York.

I've had a number of people recommend it to me and generally I would at least give it a try before dismissing it but I just can't seem to wrap my head around the concept of Doctor Watson being female, while setting it in New York just gives me an immediate CSI impression and takes away from the whole "feel" of Sherlock (I say feel for lack of a better word).

I've also heard that they have combined Moriarty and Irene into one character. If true then the show really doesn't hold any appeal to me at all and I will probably always be against it.

I get that they were trying to "modernize" it but personally I think that the BBC version of Sherlock (which I have watched and really enjoyed) got it right. They managed to create a modern version that loses very little of the original "feel" of the stories but still gives a fresh, new take on them.
Lucy Lu is actually really good as Watson however I did stop watching because of the reason below (I am guessing you don't care about spoilers)

They did indeed combine Moriarty and Irene and I think that it ruined both characters and the character of Sherlock Holmes as well.

I don't have a problem with Moriarty being a woman, Natalie Dormer is really good in the role, but I think changing the Moriarty/Holmes relationship to person X loves person Y but person Y is evil so person X must stop them just destorys the whole thing.

They could easily of had her just play Irene and do the same story that they did and then keep Moriarty for later.

OT:
The only way is Essex, Jersey shore and any other show like them. When ever I see anything to do with these shows, even Adverts for them, all I can think is that these people should be sterilised and/or killed for the good of the human race.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
bartholen said:
OT: I've only seen two episodes of Blue Mountain State and I was drunk while watching it, but something about its base concept rubbed me the wrong way. Depicting college as a neverending party where you never have to study, get laid with hot chicks every 20 minutes (because all women in college are nymphomanic swimsuit models, am i right?), can drink for 48 hours without ever getting a hangover and apparently can still afford all that alcohol just looks like too much of a fantasy to be relatable to me. Like I said, I've only seen two episodes and they were quite entertaining and funny while I watched them and I've never been to a real American college, so I might be wrong.
I'll field that one: That show is on Spike TV, a manly man's man channel for Men. I attribute it to being Lifetime for people who are predominantly masculine in their endeavors, as such, it's not plausible (except on COPS) to depict reality, the channel has an award show for video games every year, what reality do you live in where games are treated like the Oscars? College should be a party because the demographic likes the fantasy element of being men the same reason Lifetime treats its clientele like sex objects for pretty young guys who want to fool around in a style akin to the Desperate Housewives or some much shite.

OT: High Fantasy Novels. I wouldn't consider Game of Thrones high fantasy (D&D would be my sticking point, though I've always wanted to join a group and play it at least once), it's just a concept that is too strong to, I think, take seriously, but perhaps I'm out of my element by even approaching it seriously.

ALSO: Max Payne 3. I loved the first two Max Payne games, perhaps more than I thought I would, they ranged from hopeful homage to out and out pulp drama, and the Valkyr sequences are some of my favorite uses of modern horror by having just personal, non-fleshed out demons instead of real demons (The movie missed the point by involving Valkyr hallucinations within the picture). I actually loved those games.
So... Unless you are a corporate Whore, why would you make a sequel to, in my opinion, the two best games of the Ps2/Xbox generation? There is one line at the end of the game that told me Max's story was done, and it seems the producers and writers would love to gloss over that in favor of making another game. WHY??
ALSO: Forced Trilogies.
I'm talking games and movies and maybe some books that could have solved everything in the 2nd story, but people want more money, so let's make another one, of which I bring up Max Payne 3 and God of War 3. I loved the first God of War game, I think it's a perfect game, but the 2nd one rubbed me the wrong way by thinking, "Oh, we like more money, let's cop out at the last second and make the final battle not so final (I'm not in the mood to discuss Statute of limitations on GOW, game has been out for years)" and extend the game into a 3rd story?
It's this practice that makes me actually never finish the game, or "finish" them by the means of what the producers/directors say. I have avoided watching either of the two Alien movies post Aliens. To me, that's an ending.
Of course, this is coming from a guy who likes the Elm Street Series, so I suppose I'm not immune from all kinds of studio tomfoolery like those previously mentioned.

inactive123

Feb 6, 2014
Gizmo1990 said:
Lucy Lu is actually really good as Watson however I did stop watching because of the reason below (I am guessing you don't care about spoilers)

They did indeed combine Moriarty and Irene and I think that it ruined both characters and the character of Sherlock Holmes as well.

I don't have a problem with Moriarty being a woman, Natalie Dormer is really good in the role, but I think changing the Moriarty/Holmes relationship to person X loves person Y but person Y is evil so person X must stop them just destorys the whole thing.

They could easily of had her just play Irene and do the same story that they did and then keep Moriarty for later.
Yeah I can see how that would ruin the dynamics a bit. I love Andrew Scott as Moriarty in the BBC version though. He does the role so well. My only complaint about that version is the time gap between each new season. I can understand why it's so long but it is still very frustrating.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
bartholen said:
The thread title is a bit confounding. Shouldn't it rather be titled "show, movie etc. concepts you hate"? Because if I hate show X because it's based on concept Y, doesn't that then imply that I also hate shows Z, N, M, A, and B because they share the same base concept?
Yes. And if there were any other shows with the same concept as The Bachelor I'd hate those too.
shogunblade said:
bartholen said:
I'll field that one: That show is on Spike TV...
That should really be all that needs to be said. Spike TV is a network by douchebags for douchebags.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
hate is a strong word but I can tell you what I conceptually dislike

-Propaganda films: I just don't like them because there slimy. I like obvious and/or lazily made better but the is because it is very easy to see they were made to be a propaganda film.
-Soap operas: I fail to see the appeal of the contrived over-dramatics nature of them entirely.
-ancient aliens: It is a show about based spewing wild speculation and it is on the history channel taking up space for shows with actual historical significance.
-and other stuff I am lazy to type

canadamus_prime said:
The Bachelor/Baccalaureate
yes those 2 shows as well.

Dr. McD said:
It's not that bad.
It does suffer from the typical Bethesda game flaws of shit writing and 99% of characters be uninteresting written. I would say the hardest fight in fallout 3 Is try to fight apathy. this is fight I can't win.
there was also little lamplight but it existence so ridiculous that I can't even take it seriously enough to care how illogical it is.

all that said the exploring was quite good and I sunk a decent amount of time doing that. Apathy fully kills the replay value but it's good for what it is. I came in the game expecting a shallow time sink the that has excellent exploring(Bethesda's specialty) and it was exactly what I got. I fail to see the hate for it but then again I did not have high expectations for it to began when I played it.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Marriage Boot Camp. *grabs a beer*

It's a spinoff of Bridezillas, a show about... well, bridezillas (basically materially interested, vapid bitches women whose goal is to drain the hope of the men in question while testing the patience of those involved in the ceremony (family, caterers, bridal shop, etc.). Marriage Boot Camp features a mansion full of the more extreme bridezillas and the unfortunate, pussy-whipped men that chose to go through with the wedding as opposed to having some sort of common sense and running the other direction because, apparently, these women are the hottest pieces of ass they could get, and anyone afterward would look like dog shit compared to the women they chose not to dump. Like any other pseudo-reality show, it features "challenges" that are designed to get the couples in question to get along (or at least, delay the all but inevitable divorce for a couple of years until they get their finances straightened out).

In a nutshell, from what's being portrayed on the show:

- Pussy-whipped knuckle-draggers (men) with the occasional one growing a backbone, but for some reason, the 'wife' whines and threatens as a response to maintain the status quo

- Obnoxious, materially-inspired women who want nothing less than a walking wallet

and none of them have any business in a relationship.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
The Bachelor/Baccalaureate. So we're going to help this guy (or girl) find "love" out of a selection of bimbos (or the male equivalent) and make a gigantic public spectacle out of it. Riiiiiight. What a crock of shit. I don't know what's worse, the fact that some jackasses would be so desperate as to trust their love lives to this nonsense or that there's an audience for it.
Huh, I love watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette. Surprisingly, some of the people who participate on the show aren't bimbos (male/female).

OT: Reality survival/competition shows starring has-beens and other "celebrities". Those shows always cast people I've never even heard of and the "celebs" almost aways come off really desperate. Even the commercials for those shows make me cringe.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Freaking The Hangover.

A bunch of irredeemable twats get blitzed and survey the damage afterwards? Eugh. Kill me. The only concept that's worse is Project X, because it's about the night of instead of the day after, but at least it has the denecy to not have a sequel.

Can't say I'm a fan of apocalypse films either. They kill off billions of people and rarely even acknowledge it.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Freaking The Hangover.

A bunch of irredeemable twats get blitzed and survey the damage afterwards? Eugh. Kill me. The only concept that's worse is Project X, because it's about the night of instead of the day after, but at least it has the denecy to not have a sequel.

Can't say I'm a fan of apocalypse films either. They kill off billions of people and rarely even acknowledge it.
Wasn't the entire point of that movie that those guys were a bunch of assclowns?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lacktheknack said:
not to mention the romanticisation of the Idea....

thats why I like FUNpocalypses tather than actual apocolypses

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AntiChri5 said:
lacktheknack said:
Freaking The Hangover.

Wasn't the entire point of that movie that those guys were a bunch of assclowns?
Indeed. That's why I hate it on a conceptual level. That's what the thread's called. :p
Vault101 said:
lacktheknack said:
not to mention the romanticisation of the Idea....

thats why I like FUNpocalypses tather than actual apocolypses
Yep. Apocalypse movies tend to leave me unsure of the state of mind of the person who made it.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
topen gurren lagan or how ever those words are spelled/arranged

from what people hyping it tell me it's a celebration of hyperbolic irrationality and intellectual cowardice
me: why is thing happen?
lagan fan: who cares? kick logic to the curb man who cares about that bullshit!

and of course the character development amounts to, the wimpy kid got manly, because of course that's what this sort of idiocy would be about

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
lacktheknack said:
AntiChri5 said:
lacktheknack said:
Freaking The Hangover.

Indeed. That's why I hate it on a conceptual level. That's what the thread's called. :p
I could understand hating it on the conceptual level if it glorified their behaviour and made excuses for their bullshit, but i thought it pointed out how flawed and stupid they are. Been a long while since i have seen it though.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Coruptin said:
topen gurren lagan or how ever those words are spelled/arranged

from what people hyping it tell me it's a celebration of hyperbolic irrationality and intellectual cowardice
me: why is thing happen?
lagan fan: who cares? kick logic to the curb man who cares about that bullshit!

and of course the character development amounts to, the wimpy kid got manly, because of course that's what this sort of idiocy would be about
Ooooh boy. Thems fighting words.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan. Just call it Gurren Lagann if that's too much for you.

And it isn't a celebration of hyperbolic irrationality and intellectual cowardice, it's a celebration of passion, drive, the human spirit, staying true to yourself and the ability to forge your own path.

Just cynically listening to other people describe it is the absolute worst way to learn about it. Have you watched so much as a single episode?

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
oh also, attack the block

i heard it was good so i tried to watch it but i couldn't get past 15 minutes of it. i just dont find watching a bunch of juvenile delinquents generally being the worst kind of teenagers all that enjoyable

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AntiChri5 said:
lacktheknack said:
AntiChri5 said:
lacktheknack said:
Freaking The Hangover.

I could understand hating it on the conceptual level if it glorified their behaviour and made excuses for their bullshit, but i thought it pointed out how flawed and stupid they are. Been a long while since i have seen it though.
Throwing poop on a screen then saying "Look! It's gross!" still pisses me off.

The idea that I'd be entertained by asshats being asshats (it's a comedy, after all) is one I resent greatly. Attempting a higher level of finesse than what's expected doesn't excuse you from starting with a terrible concept.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
AntiChri5 said:
Ooooh boy. Thems fighting words.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan. Just call it Gurren Lagann if that's too much for you.

And it isn't a celebration of hyperbolic irrationality and intellectual cowardice, it's a celebration of passion, drive, the human spirit, staying true to yourself and the ability to forge your own path.

Just cynically listening to other people describe it is the absolute worst way to learn about it. Have you watched so much as a single episode?
i really wanted to watch it 5-6? years ago but then some really stupid people started talking about it all the time and i know i could never give the show a fair go now

i wish it could've been something i just stumbled into