Shows, movies, etc. you hate on the conceptual level.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Kingdom of heaven. I like the crusades. Kingdom of heaven didn't show the crusades, instead we got atheist time travelers telling us how much religion sucks.

Any and all reality shows. Its either made as dumb as possible for the lowest common denominator or an outright freak show so the watchers can feel superior to those on screen.

The Dutch ''news'' program Pownews. It says its news but in truth its just a bunch of reporters going around teasing and bullying Politicians and everyone else they interview. When one of the reporters got punched in the face by a diplomat i was quite glad.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
KissingSunlight said:
Vault101 said:
KissingSunlight said:
I really get bothered by movies whose message is railing against something that nobody is for. The most recent example of this is 12 Years a Slave. With the exception of a fine paying deadbeat rancher in Nevada, nobody is for reestablishing slavery in the US. Another example is Lord of War, which has great performances by Jered Leto and Nicolas Cage, whose message of the movie is arms dealing is wrong.
...0_0.....uuuummm

I think your missing the point of the movie....or historical movies in general...
If you think I'm missing the point of these movies, then tell me what was the point. That was what I got from those movies. I'm not saying they were bad movies. It was the self-important tone from them that annoyed me.
Everybody in America at this point knows slavery is bad, or at least they should. The movie was just telling the true story of a slave from the slave's point of view. One of those "survival" tales if you will. It's exactly what Solomon tells Nguyen's character at one point - he only cares about surviving. I'm white but I didn't feel guilty at all throughout the movie. The question you want to ask yourself is why did you?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Freaking The Hangover.

A bunch of irredeemable twats get blitzed and survey the damage afterwards? Eugh. Kill me. The only concept that's worse is Project X, because it's about the night of instead of the day after, but at least it has the denecy to not have a sequel.
Seconded, though for probably different reasons. I find the idea that somehow I'm supposed to relate to their situation because "We've all been there, am i right? nudge nudge wink wink". Isn't it insulting and rather condescending to assume your audience can't realize when they've had enough alcohol and all have at some point woken up and forgotten the night before?

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
KissingSunlight said:
Vault101 said:
KissingSunlight said:
I really get bothered by movies whose message is railing against something that nobody is for. The most recent example of this is 12 Years a Slave. With the exception of a fine paying deadbeat rancher in Nevada, nobody is for reestablishing slavery in the US. Another example is Lord of War, which has great performances by Jered Leto and Nicolas Cage, whose message of the movie is arms dealing is wrong.
...0_0.....uuuummm

I think your missing the point of the movie....or historical movies in general...
If you think I'm missing the point of these movies, then tell me what was the point. That was what I got from those movies. I'm not saying they were bad movies. It was the self-important tone from them that annoyed me.
Everybody in America at this point knows slavery is bad, or at least they should. The movie was just telling the true story of a slave from the slave's point of view. One of those "survival" tales if you will. It's exactly what Solomon tells Nguyen's character at one point - he only cares about surviving. I'm white but I didn't feel guilty at all throughout the movie. The question you want to ask yourself is why did you?
I don't feel guilty about slavery, because I have never own another human being in my life.

The book that the movie was based on was published in 1853 to convince people that slavery is wrong. The practice needs to be abolish. It worked. People started to empathize with the African people that were brought over to the US against their will.

Movie was made in 2013. Where slavery is no longer legal, and nobody except for the very extreme fringe thinks it's a good idea. So, making a statement that slavery is bad today is a little nonsensical. The movie was good. I can understand people appreciating the survival aspect of the story. Overall, the movie had the same message as the book it was based off of.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
bartholen said:
Seconded, though for probably different reasons. I find the idea that somehow I'm supposed to relate to their situation because "We've all been there, am i right? nudge nudge wink wink". Isn't it insulting and rather condescending to assume your audience can't realize when they've had enough alcohol and all have at some point woken up and forgotten the night before?
I'm not sure I'm physically capable of drinking alchohol to the point of "black out"

no rediscovery crazy misadventures for me the morning after...just lots of vomiting...isn't that whacky/cool?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
King Whurdler said:
I don't understand some peoples need to justify things that happned in the past

I'm all for historical acuracy of coarse (a bit of a foregone conclusion in movies though) but a bad thing happned, its not something you have to feel bad about just because your "part" of the group that did wrong...doing so is a kind of self centred in a way

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I lot of the things that end up on the "discovery" channel. Especially Armish Mafia.
Vault101 said:
Urban Fantasy in general

now I will grant that I have not read/seen much of it

but really, taking our modern world and stuffing a bunch of archaic "this and that" in there (usually in the form of a secret society) is just...silly, technology is way more interesting than fairies and wizards and at least with "straight up" epic/heroic fantasy I can "play along" but you want to tell me theres an entire society that manages to remain hidden..for...reasons?...

its a bit like Harry Potter

[i/]hey Voldemort! here's a Nuke....IN YOUR FACE[/i]
I would like to see more of magic moved out of a sword and sorcery setting but not where they just slap in modern day and everything is same because the superpowerfull beings are staying hidden and also have to be are wary of humans because they seem to be incapable of using modern weaponry themselves for some reason. It would be ingesting if magic was part of technology not some separate thing those I suppose this is much more work.