Shuffling is Not a Formality

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
fanklok said:
I don't think Magic was developed by Atari in 1997 for windows, but I may be wrong.

RJ 17 said:
As for the question...

<spoiler=I know these articles are supposed to be for newcomers to the game as well as experienced players...but I feel sad for anyone who plays magic and doesn't know this. :p> The last chance you get is during your Declare Blockers phase, which comes directly after your opponent's Declare Attackers phase.
And you are incorrect, you should probably look up turn based actions and figure it out from there.
Unless Inkmoth says it can only transform on your turn (which, if it does, then I fully admit that I'm wrong) then I'm right. They declare attackers, then during/before your declare blocker phase, you have the chance to do extra effects. This can be tapping an Elvish Piper to bust out something huge from your hand which can then be used to block, using that rare zombie that exiles a creature from target graveyard to put a 2/2 zombie on the board for you, cast instants, etc.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
RJ 17 said:
fanklok said:
I don't think Magic was developed by Atari in 1997 for windows, but I may be wrong.

RJ 17 said:
As for the question...

<spoiler=I know these articles are supposed to be for newcomers to the game as well as experienced players...but I feel sad for anyone who plays magic and doesn't know this. :p> The last chance you get is during your Declare Blockers phase, which comes directly after your opponent's Declare Attackers phase.
And you are incorrect, you should probably look up turn based actions and figure it out from there.
Unless Inkmoth says it can only transform on your turn (which, if it does, then I fully admit that I'm wrong) then I'm right. They declare attackers, then during/before your declare blocker phase, you have the chance to do extra effects. This can be tapping an Elvish Piper to bust out something huge from your hand which can then be used to block, using that rare zombie that exiles a creature from target graveyard to put a 2/2 zombie on the board for you, cast instants, etc.
Technically speaking, you actually have to animate the Inkmoth when you have priority during the Declare Attackers step(this is after Attackers have been declared.) The first thing that happens during the Declare Blockers step is to declare all blockers, which is a turn-based action that doesn't use the stack. All Blockers must be declared before either player gets priority in the Declare Blockers step, so you wouldn't have an opportunity to animate until after you've finished declaring all of your Blockers.

Alternately, if you were on the offensive, the last opportunity you would have to animate in order to attack would be the Beginning of Combat step for much the same reason.

509. Declare Blockers Step

509.1. First, the defending player declares blockers. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack. To declare blockers, the defending player follows the steps below, in order. If at any point during the declaration of blockers, the defending player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the declaration is illegal; the game returns to the moment before the declaration (see rule 717, "Handling Illegal Actions").

mrverbal, above, actually points out that in most situations you're not going to get faulted for animating the Inkmoth while in the process of declaring blockers, though it is generally good practice to play as technically correctly as possible!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Encaen said:
:p But that's what I was saying. It's after offense says "these guys are attacking" but before defense says "these guys are blocking this, this, and this."

Offense says "I'm attacking with my Gravedigger." Defense says "Animate Inkmoth" then declares it as a blocker.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Encaen said:
:p But that's what I was saying. It's after offense says "these guys are attacking" but before defense says "these guys are blocking this, this, and this."

Offense says "I'm attacking with my Gravedigger." Defense says "Animate Inkmoth" then declares it as a blocker.
Your original answer was during the declare blockers step which is incorrect, the reason I suggested the question of the week to Josh, there should probably be some mention of that in an article at some point, was so people would actually look at the rules and learn how things really work. In practice yes out of order sequencing happens but actually understanding how everything in the game works will make you a better player.

caladors

Mar 17, 2011
Your always meant to seven card shuffle because your deck should be 60 cards for constructed, because of Pi. As in maths. Pi the closest math get's to random thats why you always seven card shuffle. At least before your match begins after that you have 3 minutes to shuffle and present.