"Shut up because I'm a soldier!"

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
The only time that I see soldiers bring up their service for credibility is when it contains matters relevant to their service. (i.e. "Guns don't work that way and I know this because I was in the military and shot lots of guns.")

Most of the former soldiers I know even avoid this, and only reference their service when it is actually integral to a mis-representation of the military.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
DoctorFrankenStein said:
If someone tells me that they are/were in the military I usually say the same thing I do if someone tells me they were raised in a strict fundamental household. I.E.
That's terrible! I'm sorry.

Because it means that they were either so poor that they had to join the military because no other jobs were available.
Or because they got tricked by some slick recruiter into signing away most of their rights to go fight in futile jingoistic wars for oil and other resources directed from afar by the 1% of Americans that control most of the money and power.

Either situation is pitiable, and neither of them qualifies an immediate QED in an argument about an unrelated subject.
I love my partner more than anything, and he intentionally washed himself out of the army after a year and a half [before I met him.] He'll never go back if only because I told him I'd leave him if he did. It would break my heart, but he'd be spitting on everything I stand for.
Never again, even if they call for him.
Actually very few military recruits sign up because they are poor. Most are middle-class, in fact. And I don't know where this "signing away most of your rights" thing comes from. My life is not all that different from what it was before I signed up, and my added responsibilities are not so different than they would be if I had a similar-paying civilian job. Granted there are deployments to worry about, but there are hefty benefits from being deployed and the military does not shy away from warning us about the potential dangers. You also neglect to acknowledge those who sign up out of a sense of duty or family tradition long before any "slick" recruiter gets involved. Hell, all my recruiter did was give me an aptitude test and direct me towards jobs where my skills would be the most useful.

Judging by your harsh words, I doubt my testimony will convince you to think differently about the military, but I hope it at least you take what I've said into consideration.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Mid-Boss said:
That being said, I don't think being a soldier automatically means their opinions are right. But they bring up their combat history as if that makes all their opinions right.
I don't think I've ever heard a soldier say that sort of thing. I've heard their opinions and beliefs about where they've been and what they've done, but never used such things to justify their opinions on stuff like you mention.

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
I have to agree. I posted a comment on Facebook recently as a reply to someone who brought up his military experience in a discussion about Warhammer. He then proceeded to talk about the politics, and the atmosphere, and people lined up to agree with him. While that doesn't sound too unusual (other than 'shooting people => pseudo-political rant,' perhaps), most left inane comments about his combat experience. Some, pointedly, about it making him infallible. Really? He knows what he's talking about because he's been in a war zone?

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I've had to put up with something like this before. The guy was the most basic of infantry in his unit and used that as a standing the he was right in everything. He flat-out insulted an Iraq veteran because she was a woman, and said it was insulting because she was "safe" while some of his friends lost limbs. I screamed at him that he was a self-righteous prick and I don't glorify people in the military like he did because they know what they're in for when they sign up. If they're not willing to take the risk then they should keep out of it... Low-blow I admit but the guy was a douche.

GoldenFish

Jun 10, 2011
In New Zealand where I'm from it's sort of frowned upon to say you any better than anyone else or expect special treatment. Unless it had some relevance to the conversation I bet you'd get some weird looks saying your right because your a soldier.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
In relation to his argument, if we forget inflation and give all the bailout money awarded since 2007 to citizens, each citizen would get a little over 35 bucks each. Its great when someone with combat experience brings it up when the issue has something to do with their experience, just like I would like a janitor to speak up if I had to clean shit off a wall.

LAN MAC

Dec 22, 2010
I totally wanna see a teacher do the same thing and see what happens, they both do important gov't work after all. So who should argue different? I think I'd rather deal with terrorists someone else's shit-head of a child.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
InterAirplay said:
If we heard "The Military: someone has to do it, and joining will allow you to keep thep eace in a highly unstable region of the world. It may be morally and ethically complex, but someone must take this stand and sacrifice a part of themselves by taking the life of another man in the name of protecting innocents, a job very few can do." Then sure, I'd be fine with it.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, that's why I'm heading down that path. But I do think that being willing to take on that moral dilemma is something that can, in fact, be called "noble".

You are right, though, that not everyone in uniform necessarily deserves unquestionable respect. It's a shame that in this country you can be a complete jackass who's never seen a lick of combat, act like you know better than any civilian, and just sit behind a desk all day, and still be treated with the same reverence as a good man in the infantry who knows exactly what he's doing and why he's doing it.

Professor_Page

Oct 5, 2011
Gamblerjoe said:
their stupidity is their own curse. its the stupid people who dont know how to adjust to the curve balls life throws at you. its the stupid people who dont know how to protect themselves from fraud.

i once had an argument with a guy while playing DDO over why I wasnt using the voice chat system. after i made my point, his response was to tell me that he served in Iraq, and therefore he was right and i was wrong.

at another point, i was talking about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs with a member of my family who served in the navy most of their life. i said that i thought it was wrong that so many innocent civilians had to die, and their response was "would you rather that a bunch of military personnel like me died in stead?" I really didnt know how to respond to that. i mean seriously? do most members of the military believe that civilians deserve to die and that the people actually doing the fighting deserve to live?
The whole thing that went on here, and the only reason the US decided it was ok to bomb civilians during WWII was because there was no separating line between the factories and the residential areas. People in japan worked on parts for the factory in the homes then brought them to the factory for final assembly. you couldn't bomb one without the other. yes its sad but it was truly the only way. Also they were meant to send a message, that we no longer needed an army to destroy them, just one plane with one bomb. I'm in the Airforce and currently in the middle east, I'm also a bit of a WWII buff. Anyway i also agree with the OP. just saying you're a soldier is BS. It's not an end all, be all to an argument. i mostly that because there are some really, and I mean REALLY, stupid people in the military. It just cant work that way.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Ah, misplaced sense of authority.

Tbh, being a soldier in this day and age is just a job. A very dangerous job, with a long and tiring, and 'glorious' history. But a job none the less. Prostitution is the oldest profession in history, but the effect isn't the same.

There are lots of jobs more dangerous than being a soldier. But this whole idea that a soldier's duty is to defend you, and your country is too far entrenched. And that we are forever indebted to every soldier to ever be recruited, because all he does is selflessly defend us.

Well yes. You do defend us, but you can't expect everyone to suck up to you, and constantly praise you. It's a job, you shouldn't leech praise off of people. The military and media gives you enough already. Soldiers should take pride in their jobs, and not overstate themselves.

And don't give this 'but they died for your freedom!' shit. If for example, the French empire had never stopped expanding, and conquered the world, then I wouldn't know any different.

And what about the soldiers that lost? Are they glorious too because they put in a good effort? No, they haven't completed their job. Just because you have, doesn't mean it's grounds for you eternal glory.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Professor_Page said:
Gamblerjoe said:
their stupidity is their own curse. its the stupid people who dont know how to adjust to the curve balls life throws at you. its the stupid people who dont know how to protect themselves from fraud.

i once had an argument with a guy while playing DDO over why I wasnt using the voice chat system. after i made my point, his response was to tell me that he served in Iraq, and therefore he was right and i was wrong.

at another point, i was talking about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs with a member of my family who served in the navy most of their life. i said that i thought it was wrong that so many innocent civilians had to die, and their response was "would you rather that a bunch of military personnel like me died in stead?" I really didnt know how to respond to that. i mean seriously? do most members of the military believe that civilians deserve to die and that the people actually doing the fighting deserve to live?
The whole thing that went on here, and the only reason the US decided it was ok to bomb civilians during WWII was because there was no separating line between the factories and the residential areas. People in japan worked on parts for the factory in the homes then brought them to the factory for final assembly. you couldn't bomb one without the other. yes its sad but it was truly the only way. Also they were meant to send a message, that we no longer needed an army to destroy them, just one plane with one bomb. I'm in the Airforce and currently in the middle east, I'm also a bit of a WWII buff. Anyway i also agree with the OP. just saying you're a soldier is BS. It's not an end all, be all to an argument. i mostly that because there are some really, and I mean REALLY, stupid people in the military. It just cant work that way.
read on...

Gamblerjoe said:
...she cold have mentioned that Japan is a nation of cottage industry, and that bombing civilians is the only way to damage their infrastructure. she could have mentioned that the bombs ultimately cost fewer lives (even Japanese lives alone) compared to an invasion. But she snapped back with a narrow minded and selfish response and was very condescending about it. after all, she is a veteran and i was just a dumb kid...

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Soldiers aren't really renowned for their intellectual capabilities.

You may know how to fire a gun, it doesn't stop you from being a douche.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This is something that's been bugging me for a while. Just being in the military doesn't mean you're always right. I live in a rather conservative area as well, I mean it isn't the Bible belt, but regardless it seems to me that it's typically the mega-right wingers who join the army/military around here. So whenever they play the "I'M A SOLDIER" card, it just irritates me even more.

Mar 5, 2011
Isn't saying that you're a soldier kind of like comparing someone to Hitler? If you have nothing else to say other than that, then you've already lost.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Unless the topic of conversation is about combat or something like that I can't see how their "occupation?" would be of any relevance.

On the topic of soldiers and how praised they are I have mixed feelings. On one hand I understand that they are trying to protect us from people that would see us harmed..I guess, but on the other hand they are trained murderers, and the idea of appalling them for being "brave" enough to kill another person is just unsettling to me. Also it comes to mind that if people (soldiers) wouldn't allow themselves to be pawns in the hands of the rich, powerful, or crazy their would no longer be war.