Sick grandad becomes first person in Britain to die on national television

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This is wrong on SO many levels =| i can't believe the BBC have showed this!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/12/sick-grandad-becomes-first-person-in-britain-to-die-on-national-television-115875-23124043/

I actually can't believe the Family aloud it either, it's just...wrong! The BBC says it's for science, i say it's wrong and should not have been shown! What if kids were to have see this? it's just stupid and to be honest i think the family should be ashamed!

Your thoughts?

Feb 13, 2008
Not the first person by a long shot. Tommy Cooper died live on stage.(televised)

I believe there was another person who filmed their own death as well, but... I don't know how I feel about this.

Optional Opinion

Dec 29, 2008
If the Family don't mind and the man himself doesn't mind, then I see no harm.

I watched and it was fascinating.

If parents don't want their kids to watch questionable content then they shouldn't let them watch TV at that time (21:00). Anyway, I don't think the program would hold children's attention.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Not the first person by a long shot. Tommy Cooper died live on stage.(televised)

I believe there was another person who filmed their own death as well, but... I don't know how I feel about this.
I think it means a death that was planned, if someone died live on stage i doubt it was on purpose.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
This is pretty wrong on way too many levels. How the hell is this allowed?!

Edit: Okay, I get it. You can stop quoting me now.
JasonKaotic said:
Not because of the sight of someone dying, it's just a bit disrespectful. I don't think anyone wants to spend the last moments of their life with a camera pressed in their face, then their family mourning their death with people just stood there recording them.

Edit: Okay, I get it. You can stop quoting me now.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
arc1991 said:
I actually can't believe the Family aloud it either, it's just...wrong! The BBC says it's for science, i say it's wrong and should not have been shown! What if kids were to have see this? it's just stupid and to be honest i think the family should be ashamed!
How is someone passing away from cancer something that is wrong to be shown. What damage will it do to children?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
bob1052 said:
arc1991 said:
How is someone passing away from cancer something that is wrong to be shown. What damage will it do to children?
It's just un-easing, fair enough if he wanted it, but still leaves me feeling a little queasy.

And i admit i may of went a bit over the top about kids, still could be upsetting for them if they know what's going on though.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
But the science needs to get done you monster!
Sorry sorry, anyhow I don't really feel too worked up about this, its something that happens all the time inevitably to every one of us and furthermore it might actually provoke thought in our brain dead X-factor watching population. So long as we don't end up with Colosseum-Esq live arena fights to the death I think its all peachy.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
If the family allowed it, then there's not a lot you can do. It certainly is powerful television, and you just KNOW theres going to be a huge ratings boom. besides, its not like they're blowing the guy up, or filling him full of lead. he's passing away peacefully.

As long as they through up the content warning, i dotn care. its not like you cant find this kinda stuff on the internet, which is far more accessible then TV, especially to young children.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I see no problem with this if the man said it was fine.
He's 84 and has cancer, I think anyone disrespecting his wishes are more in the wrong then the people claiming how terrible this is.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
arc1991 said:

I think it means a death that was planned, if someone died live on stage i doubt it was on purpose.
you think he planned his death anymore than Tommy Cooper on stage?

edit: meant the old man, can imagine why calling the people watching tv the audience would be confusing

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
It's very sad, but it was handled well. Honestly, I see very little offensive about this. He consented to it as did his family, and because he had a fear of being forgotten I think it's nice that he got a chance to share his life with the world.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Cavan said:
arc1991 said:

you think he planned his own death to shock the audience?
i never said that...

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
JasonKaotic said:
This is pretty wrong on way too many levels. How the hell is this allowed?!
Why is it wrong? People face death in their families all the time, why shouldn't it be allowed on TV?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
arc1991 said:

Your thoughts?
Moral guardian alert. You know that's exactly what you sound like, right? You can disagree with it, but don't start the fucking "think of the children" thing.

He's not the first anyway, Channel 4 showed a man dying at a euthanasia clinic a few years ago.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I just watched that show, it was........ quite eerie. Just watching the bloke let out his last breath made me feel a bit uneasy, really brought mortality home to me that did.