Silent Hill 2 Film "Stalled" Over Director's Legal Woes

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
bjj hero said:
I'm disgusted that he only got 12 months for killing someone while drink driving. The guy is scum.
I know, everyone is fixated on how bummed or not bummed they are about the movie. Apparently no one cares that this guy killed someone and is getting out in a year.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
This isn't much of a tragedy as far as I'm concerned.

I LOVE Silent Hill and actually really enjoyed the first film. The atmosphere and visuals were spot on as well the monster designs and they even used some of the music from the original game. The only problem was the batshit crazy storyline (Even more bonkers than the original game) which in certain respects, kind of missed the whole point of Silent Hill.

The script was written by this Avery fellow and I'd be quite happy if they ditched him and found someone else. ESPECIALLY if this is going to be some form of adaptation of SH2, otherwise they'll be finding themselves waist deep in fanboy rage!
Yeah, pretty much what you've said. I've watched Silent Hill last weekend for the third time, and it really struck me how profoundly stupid the story is. It's even more of a clusterfuck than the game's story, which is an accomplishment by itself. On the plus side, some of the monster scenes were good (sans PH, obviously, who shouldn't have been in the movie in the first place), and so were a few of the "puzzle scenes." It's not a bad movie, but it could have been much better. The sheer stupidity of the cult didn't help at any rate...

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Work on the Silent Hill 2 [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/] film has "stalled," according to producer Don Carmody, because of screenwriter and director Roger Avary's 2009 conviction and prison sentence for vehicular manslaughter.
That would certainly slow most movies down.

SpiderHam666

Apr 17, 2009
Honestly i am sorta glad for this. I enjoyed the first Silent Hill game and slightly enjoyed the movie (but never considered it a true Silet Hill movie) But i'll be damned before i see them bastardize the Silent Hill 2 storyline the way they did the Silent Hill one.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Certainly an odd situation, but the first movie wasn't that great so I won't be praying for some miraculous epiphany.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
I remember kinda liking the first movie, but then again I was drunk. Still, I get a laugh out of the fact that he got jail just because he tweeted, no matter how grim the situation is.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I actually am glad that a SH2 movie isn't going to be made... yet.
I didn't liked the first movie, so I didn't want them to mess up the second one.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
LordNue said:
Good now we won't have this shitfest released. Couldn't he have gotten himself incarcerated without killing someone though? Maybe it was a willing Silent Hill fanboy who sacrificed themselves for the greater good...
Ha! Amen to that, brother.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
bjj hero said:
I'm disgusted that he only got 12 months for killing someone while drink driving. The guy is scum.
I know what you mean
Seriously? Imagine that's your mother that he killed... Still think he deserved 12 months? I didn't think so and regardless of him being the writer of a popular video game film franchise it doesn't mean he should be given a light touch

He broke the law
He killed someone
You have no idea how discusting it is to see someone die infront of you, especiall someone you know

OT: Oh no

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Hopefully the Silent Hill 2 film will be scrapped unless they can get a better writer or director. It would be so much easier if film studios just hired the people who wrote the story lines for the video games that they want to film.

Honestly, I would rather see the video game companies make the movies computer animated instead. That way they can still use the writers they worked with and can hire back the voice actors.

It seems a bit wrong that he is only in jail for a year. Considering that someone died I would think he would get a much harsher punishment.

Willbass86

Jun 20, 2010
gristledemon said:
bjj hero said:
gristledemon said:
i do not know all the details but that seems a little harsh. people drive drunk all the time, it is fucked up and selfish but the person he killed was IN his car. therefor it was their choice to drive with him. it is still a crime and a horrible waste of life but calling him "scum" is uncalled for.
again i dont know all the details this topic is the first i have heard of it.
Chance decided it was the passenger that was killed and not a pedestrian, or another driver, or someone elses passenger. He risked a number of peoples lives because he wanted a beer and was too selfish not to drive. People talk about how paedophiles are scum, drunk drivers are no better. Yes abuse is terrible, is it any better if you run over a child and leave them disabled, braindamaged, scared to leave the house?

How about if you rob them of their parents? Or leave them with disabled parents that they will then have to care for for the rest of their life. That is robbing someone of innocence and of their childhood. I don't know if the victim had any family but he risked everyone else when he started his car. "People do it all the time" doesn't make it right and the number of people drink driving has dropped sharply in the last few decades, at least in England.

I feel that scum is justified.
comparing drunk drivers to pedophiles? wow really? ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahha wow.
personally? yes it is better to run them over them molest them. I have had both happen to me and being hit by a car is much more enjoyable.
"england"? good for england you guys dont really hve that many cars so it would take a close study of cars to drunk driving incidents to really say whats the deal there. jsut saying there are less really means nothing.\
you got alot of "what ifs" in your statement.
i am not trying to say drunk driving is ok, in fact i hate it as it has taken a number of people from me. but I'm kinda the devil's advocate kinda guy.

mr. Avary commited a crime by driving drunk, the victim knew the risks of driving with a drunk.
it does not make it any less of a crime but I dont feel it defines mr Avary, who i have never met and care nothing for.
thats all
rock on
I don't necessarily agree with Bjj Hero here but I will say that roads are generally bigger and the urban geography is on the whole a lot more sparse in America than it is here in Britain - therefore drunk driving here maybe marginally more dangerous for all concerned. I cannot be arsed to find my own figures but it is anecdotally accepted in Britain that drink-driving rates have fallen dramatically in the last 20-30 years. It is simply no longer socially acceptable.

Thrager

Aug 13, 2010
The man is scum on multiple levels mainly for killing a person. He deserves so much more than 12 months.

Secondly destroying silent hill by meshing the first and second together (Both were very good games) But putting them together and not even giving Pyramid head a justification for him being there other than fan service. I mean shit Sean Bean was in it and he is a good actor and he did nothing in the entire movie but stand in two different spots. It was just shit.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Maybe I'm a bit dense, but when is it a crime to tweet about your life in prison?

Otherwise, meh. Guy only got a year because he's rich, undoubtedly. Now to serve full time for what...3-6 months? Way to go justice.