Silicon Knights CEO Says Natal Won't Make Great Games

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
The Silicon Knights CEO should learn how to make a great game first.
Didn't they, one time? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_darkness]
I actually haven't played it, but I've heard quite good things about it...

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
Natal seems to me just another gimmick. It'll never replace the classic controller, because people are starting to realise gaming is not all about authenticity and realism.
I agree with that. The simple fact of the matter is that the existence of a gimmick can actually hurt games. Take the DS, for instance. Sure, it's had some great games... but far too many use the touch screen for the sake of using the touch screen. Some programmers just can't leave a feature alone. A few of the best DS games I've played never required the touch screen at all.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Though I agree that Natal is probably going to be a bit shit in terms of making great games, there's just one thing I can really say.

You made Too Human, your opinion is invalid, no matter how awesome Eternal Darkness was.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Eternal Darkness was pretty awesome ... as much as i think he's right the only one i think could when use natal properly would be Suda51 >.> imo...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
UltimatheChosen said:
Captain Pancake said:
Natal seems to me just another gimmick. It'll never replace the classic controller, because people are starting to realise gaming is not all about authenticity and realism.
I agree with that. The simple fact of the matter is that the existence of a gimmick can actually hurt games. Take the DS, for instance. Sure, it's had some great games... but far too many use the touch screen for the sake of using the touch screen. Some programmers just can't leave a feature alone. A few of the best DS games I've played never required the touch screen at all.
Same goes for the wii, some games like Twilight Princess work well because they only use the motion-sensor for roles where it fits, but others like Red Steel just become disorientating due to an over indulgence in the feature. SSBB (I don't care what Yahtzee said, it's fun) was brilliant, and that didn't use any motion features.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
We have given Silicon Nights several chances... They Ballsed up Twin Snakes as they took the great cinmetaics and intriguing sotry and turned it into the matrix set now-ish.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I agree, but then again, you never know. I think the Wii has some pretty awesome games, like No More Heroes. That will probably suck on other consoles though... hmm... actually... they need to make that on Natal. If I read right, with Natal you do the motions in front of a camera to play the games. Would love to see some recharge the katana on there...

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, anyone implying that Silicon Knights hasn't made a good game should go play Eternal Darkness and stand corrected.

Nevertheless, Dyack also made Too Human and therefore has no business judging the quality of anything.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Anyone for Eternal Darkness or Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes?!

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Furburt said:
He's right in my view. Just because Natal is cool won't magically make games better.
i agree. motion control on games should never have been made in the first place.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Hmm.

According to my Metal Gear Solid fanboy here, Twin Snakes was a pretty damned good game. I think his opinion counts. Then again, he is a fanboy. Still, if it's for the GC, I'm going to pick it up and give it a go.

I'd have to say that I agree with this fellow. Seeing as I view Natal as a motion sensing gambit to edge out the Wii's attempted innovation, I don't see it necessarily improving games so much as it might place control problems and restriction in-game. I usually eat while gaming, too. Natal is going to make that a workout if there are any games that justify buying the thing.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Produced and Directed by Dennis Dyack. I think he has the right to speak then.

Or perhaps none of us have the right to say anything given how 99% of us have not made a game at all. But of course it doesn't work that way.

Anyway I agree with him, mostly because I'm of the belief that Natal is not a good idea since putting a fully 3D range of motion that gets translated onto a 2D plane (the TV screen) can only backfire. Either that or it's just like the Wii (with Motion+) in how that information is interpreted (mo-cap thing not withstanding) in which case it isn't even anything new.

Plus Natal makes you look like you've just discovered you can see yourself on the demonstration monitors for the video cameras at an electronics store.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Damn you are all being unreasonable fucks don't you think? Sheesh he's still a game designer so get off his back.

Well it's pretty damn obvious that Natal will not produce good games. There can only be good games that utilize Natal properly. And by properly I don't mean like the stupid Wii games that force you to wave your god damn arms and wrists around which in turn might make you lose because not everyone has wrists of steel.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
SantoUno said:
Damn you are all being unreasonable fucks don't you think? Sheesh he's still a game designer so get off his back.

Well it's pretty damn obvious that Natal will not produce good games. There can only be good games that utilize Natal properly. And by properly I don't mean like the stupid Wii games that force you to wave your god damn arms and wrists around which in turn might make you lose because not everyone has wrists of steel.
so you're saying you don't want to do physical movement then

well Natal is going to disappoint since i'm pretty sure moving about to utilize a system that interprets motion is the only way to use it "properly"