Silly Childhood Beliefs

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I thought doctors were magical beings, so when you entered a hospital to visit someone, any doctor could just grab you and take you away.
I also thought tuna were very small because of canned tuna.
I was always terrified of getting attacked by sharks... in a river.
My mom bought me some Sonic the Hedgehog shoes, and it made me believe I could run faster.
When I was 4, my brother and some cousins convinced me I could fly, so I jumped off a balcony.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Vault101 said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I drew a whale.

A WHALE.

I'm an atheist now but I'd love to believe in some sort of cosmic whale deity that roams the heavens.
well whales do have a sort of religious significance, Leviathan sounds significant

plus Dishonored

seriously in Dishonored the whales (leviathans) are other worldly
Remember the MGSV trailer when it was just called the Phantom Pain and there was that fire whale at the end of the trailer?

That makes a case I feel.

RICHIERICAN

Sep 18, 2014
For centuries all little kids were scare of the boogie man under their beds or in their closet it was and it still is part of growing up!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Wintermute said:
I also thought tuna were very small because of canned tuna.
I realised how large they were embarrassingly late in life.
thaluikhain said:
Eh, a lot of adult people think the vagina and urethra are the same thing. Somehow.
It's actually kind of scary when you talk to someone in their 20s who thinks that women pee out of their vaginas.

OP: When I was very small, I thought that couples had to get married once they were together for a year and then a baby just kind of happened.

I have no idea where I got that into my head but I remember hearing a woman on television saying she's been with her boyfriend for 6 years and my little mind was blown.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Wintermute said:
When I was 4, my brother and some cousins convinced me I could fly, so I jumped off a balcony.
What, so you're just going to leave it at that? What was the damage, woman!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I used to think the entire world only consisted of 2 countries, Canada and the U.S. Well to be more precise I asked my Mom if Canada was the entire world and she told me that there was the U.S. too so I concluded that the world consisted of only Canada and the U.S. Hey I was like 6.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I believed that I could swim quite a while before I actually learned. I figured, no one teaches dogs to swim, why should humans be any different? Cut to a few years and several almost drowning later and my parents basically made me learn. So now I can swim. Yay.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
DizzyChuggernaut said:
In primary school my class were asked to draw what they thought of when they heard the word "God" (but in Welsh because I went to a Welsh school).

I drew a whale.

A WHALE.

I'm an atheist now but I'd love to believe in some sort of cosmic whale deity that roams the heavens.
They've been deified by coastal tribes before. Whales would make good gods, I think - they're so vast and slightly intimidating, yet so placid and curious. This is apparently what they look like when they're sleeping:

That's amazing. What manner of monster could ever hate a whale?

Pink Gregory said:
I believed that my next door neighbor knew how to fly.

And he was keeping it from me.

The ****.
Heheh. I used to think some adults were angels in disguise. Not my neighbours, though; they were douchebags.
Not The Bees said:
Lets see, I was a very odd kid, so...

I believed that if I didn't bury the dead birds I found they wouldn't go to heaven. So I buried every dead bird I found and made them a little cross.

I also believed if I was nice to bees that they wouldn't sting me. Sometimes I would sit and talk to them for hours during the summer while I played outside, they would fly in and get their pollen and I would just chat with them, and oddly enough it worked, probably because I was calm around them. I never got stung by bees. Although I did get stung by a hornet once.
Hornets are little shits that have no right to exist. Bumblebees are great, though. They have this adorable way of flying directly into my chest, bumping off and hovering in a daze before circling around me and continuing on like nothing happened. I don't know why I find clumsiness so endearing. It may be all the practice I had bumping my head on low doorways. That probably also helps explain why I used to think bees were spies that could hear my private thoughts when they got too close.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I'm of the mind that belief itself is a silly, childhood thing to eventually stop believing in.

Please, hear me out.

Just about every post in this thread demonstrates that at some point in their lives, everyone is apparently proven wrong about something they were sure was true. Whatever they believed before is replaced by something else that they become sure is true. Did your parents ever tell you milk was good for you? Did something change your mind later? Did something else change your mind again? Whether or not the stuff is actually healthy is irrelevant, if you've ever changed your mind about something you believed, (maybe you believed in ghosts, or didn't and do now, something like that) I think you'll understand what I'm saying here.

Would you say you've ever found a final answer for something? Found sufficient evidence for something that you know, without the faintest possibility of doubt, cannot ever be disproved or replaced by new information? Or has it just not happened yet? Don't get me wrong, thinking the sea is salty, that standard rocks are hard at room temperature, and that fire is uncomfortably warm are perfectly reasonable; everything we've seen (unless I missed something?) suggests those things are very true without exception.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to believe something when all of the evidence points to it being true and 'true/not true' is how we're apparently wired to think. This is part of why I think most of the world still has the capacity to believe things, moreso when those things don't seem to change, the other part being (and this is pure speculation) fear, a kind of insecurity at the prospect of not knowing and not being in control. I'm typing this right now under the assumption that tapping the keyboard in the right places will form words on your screen when you see this post, because that's consistently how it's worked up to now.

However, it remains that we can be and have been proven wrong before. Does it really make sense to assume it can never happen again now that we're "older and wiser"? I am not saying everyone should drop the concept of belief altogether, assume everything they've ever understood can only be false, and dive off the nearest cliff since gravity is no longer a thing, just that sticking to the same mindset as when you were an impressionable toddler seems logically iffy.

I think I might have picked this up from a combination of quotes in Dogma and Men in Black.

"You're saying that having beliefs is a bad thing?"
"I just think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier."

"Fifteen hundred years ago everybody 'knew' the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody 'knew' the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you 'knew' that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll 'know' tomorrow."

Bearing all of this in mind, I try not to believe any information I've ever processed is unwaveringly true in all circumstances, that I can never again be wrong about things on account of not having been shown that I was wrong about them yet. Naturally, it follows that I wouldn't say I believe anything I've typed here, or believe I'll have changed your mind all that much even if every word made sense to you, as I could very well just be wrong (if there is such a thing as 'right') again.

That was probably the case when as a child, I thought there was bound to be buried treasure under about a foot of dirt in every square inch of the world.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
I thought that couples had to get married once they were together for a year and then a baby just kind of happened.
As a kid (3?)[footnote] It had to have been 3 I still lived in Columbus[/footnote] no one obviously told me what sex was, but I gathered enough that I knew women got pregnent then "pooped" out babies or something, so I wondered why guys existed.

I came to the conclusion I wasn't actually related to my dad... My mind was blown when I found out what sex was. I was like "God damnit! That makes so much more sense!"

canadamus_prime said:
I used to think the entire world only consisted of 2 countries, Canada and the U.S. Well to be more precise I asked my Mom if Canada was the entire world and she told me that there was the U.S. too so I concluded that the world consisted of only Canada and the U.S. Hey I was like 6.
I used to think every country in the world except Canada, Ireland, Great Britain, and the US were 3rd world countries. Those poor starving French people! XD

OT: Other than those two, I guess I used to think that drinking coffee would make me just never grow taller and stay 4 ft. Forever...

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
For a while I thought that when I lost sight of someone, they no longer existed. Not like in an object permanence way, like babies, but I thought this for a couple years. So I developed a sort of Belief in solipsism. Before I was 5. Damn I'm smart.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I thought that the Washington Monument was actually the Washington Momument, so I'd tell my mom that it was dedicated to her every time we drove past it.

This didn't happen for me, but I do want my children to believe in the birthday skellington.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I remember a lot of kids confused gulf war with golf war, so we all thought it was a war where everyone played golf instead of fighting.

I remember seeing my dog having its way with a pillow when I was maybe five. I thought he was wrestling with it, so I grabbed a pillow and joined in. Then my parents walked in on me humping away furiously at a pillow and asked what the hell I was doing. To which I honestly replied that I was copying Frankie (our dog). I still remember my poor mother politely asking if I could copy something else from now on.

There was one incident where I was playing a game, and we divided into a red team and a black team, and we were playing with water pistols. I pulled a pistol on a young girl on the black team, and told her "halt black person!" Of course, she happened to African American, but that thought never even crossed my mind. All I knew was that she was on the black team. Unfortunately the parents didn't know that, so they just saw a white boy pointing a toy gun at at a black girl, and telling her to halt because she was black. As a result I got ten minute speech from my parents about the evils of racism, how we're all equal in gods eyes, and about how skin color doesn't matter. Of course, the whole time, I was just thinking "duh. Why are you even telling me this. It's obvious." I just nodded my head so I could go back to playing.

I tried eating leaves after watching land before time and got sick.

I tried doing a kamehameha after watching DBZ. I knew it wouldn't work, but I thought if I just BELIEVED hard enough then maybe I could blow a hole through the roof.

I remember thinking that babies came out of the, ah, anal cavity. After all, where else could a baby come from? I was still very young, and didn't completely understand the physical differences between a man and a woman. Basically I just imagined that a woman pooped out an infant, and everyone went on their merry way.

I remember being convinced that the cockroach monster from Men in Black was a hiding in a sewer. Far from being scared, I wanted to sneak off and go in every time I saw it.

Lord, I need to go give my poor mum a hug. I never realized what I put her through.

Edit: I remember thinking there was a monster in the closet, so my grandpa gave me a big speech about how monsters didn't exist. Then he told me to walk past the hall closet. I felt a lot better after hearing his gentle voice, so I confidently walked past the closet. Where my father jumped out in a mask, scaring me shitless, and I ran screaming through the house while they both rolled on the floor laughing. I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere...

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
That darkness could somehow literally be harmful, I kept hearing that a lot of people fear the dark do I just assumed it could hurt you.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Colour Scientist said:
canadamus_prime said:
I used to think every country in the world except Canada, Ireland, Great Britain, and the US were 3rd world countries. Those poor starving French people! XD
Don't feel bad. According to Weird Al, kids are starving in Japan.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I was under the delusion that Santa didn't exist, for a while.

thaluikhain said:
Eh, a lot of adult people think the vagina and urethra are the same thing. Somehow.
This very subject comes up on Orange is the New Black [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aig_ik2P3OU]. I must admit that I was woefully misinformed on that topic for a while, though I didn't think much about it.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
When I was somewhere around 5 or 7 years old I used to think that human reproduction involved the female getting pregnant by swallowing the seed. I also believed that the baby grow within the stomach, I don't believe I knew what a womb was. At this time I didn't know what a blowjob was either. I only knew that seed came from the man and then the woman would give birth. I don't know how I got this information so don't ask. Strangely this knowledge didn't weird me out at all at the time.

There is also Saint Nicolas which I only found out when my parent told me the truth. I was pissed at them at the time for lying to me. But also at myself because I should have been able to figure it out on my own.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
On maps, I used to think Ireland was Wales, and it always puzzled me as to where the hell Ireland was. For some reason it never struck me to read the damn map. Other than that... Not much. I was always pretty skeptical of stuff like Santa Claus or the past being in black and white, my parents never really bothered to kid me about anything. In fact (excuse me whilst I go fetch my fedora), I always remember thinking anything religious or superstitious was a bit daft.