SimCity Expansion Could Add Offline Mode

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Some of the more fleshed out features sound like they're already in the works, including a few with a distinctly cyberpunk vibe to them: "Simulate to the Sky" would add SuperScrapers with vertical zoning and multiple levels of transportation, creating dense cities under steel skies.
If they make a game where I can make a Fifth Element style city with flying cars and massive skyscrapers... ..yeh my wallet would hit them so hard I suspect I'd be indited for manslaughter.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
If they do that 'greed vs green' thing they need to balance it closer to reality.

Say, essential utilities cost twice as much, require subsidies to remain in business, overall lower quality of life, and new 'green' challenges introduced every few years that you have to meet or you lose the positive benefits of the previous ones.

But hey - more bushes!

Anyway. A lot of the minor things they list sound great - but maybe not as a paid expansion. They already have my money; they owe me a functional game in return.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I seem to remember a quote from Bradshaw:

"We made this game for you because you asked us for another SimCity"

Hm. Okay. So why did it take half a year and a survey to even consider, let alone implement, the things that the people asked you for? In fact, why are you sending out a poll when they've already told you what's wrong?

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
"Oh look, we have all these expensive servers nobody plays on any more... well, might as well flip the "Offline Mode" switch and make some more money by giving people the game they thought they paid for in the first place."

And you just KNOW that they'll use the rather considerable piracy numbers that will ensue as some bullshit cop-out for their next big game.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Kargathia said:
Of course it won't change a thing about EA flaming being fashionable, but if implemented this certainly would transform SimCity in a pretty good game.

The logical thing here would be to assume that maybe they'd even learn something from it as well, but honestly... I doubt it.
Considering one of the survey questions is "would you pre order this expansion", I'd say that they haven't learned a damn thing.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Charging for something that should have been a part of the game or a free patch to begin with, this takes some nerve, even for EA.

Fuck them up the goat ass

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
2x the city size is still TINY. Why can't you allow SimCity 4 size as long as your PC can handle it?

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I haven't played the Sims since the original ages ago, but I've read about SimCity on this site and--like everyone else--was disgusted by EA's tactics and poor performance.

Some questions linked to this "change of heart" on their parts:

1) I remember reading that despite it's launching problems with the servers crashing, bugs, modded proof that their claims that it could only be played online was malarkey, etc. SimCity still rang up millions of players within it's first month. SO--does anyone know how many 'registered' players they have now?

2) Was their initial surge of players lost like SW:TOR's player base after the first six months?

3) Is this EA scrambling to make SimCity profitable in the face of a massive failure akin to SW:TOR's going to Free Online after they realized they were losing too many players to recoup their investment much less make a clear profit?

Note: I've never played an MMO before. I'm just curious. :)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So an expansion will fix all the problems? So it's "Yeah, we heard all your complaints and we'll give you all you want, you just have to give us more money."? Riiiiight...

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
CriticKitten said:
If this expansion is free, then props to EA for finally taking customer advice into consideration.

If they have the balls to charge for this expansion, they can take their game and shove it far up their collective corporate ass.
Optimism. Ah, you poor, poor fellow. You have not yet seen the world with eyes as old to remember EA in all its terror.

In short, they will fucking charge for it. Honestly, by now, SimCity is The Sims, the same expansion-policy and all. Its actually funny, given all the nasty fallout from the release, the server failures etc, when you go to any store to buy that game, its still full price. Hell i've even seen sell them their DLC for a higher price than they would prolly cost online (and thats basicly graphics).

So yeah, you better believe that EA will try to squeeze as much money out of people as they can, for as long as they can. Aint like Sims 3 now costs 600+ bucks for basegame and all the other crap, on top of asking for more money so they can sell you crappy furniture online for like 5 dollar for a fucking couch.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yay! :D

EA is making us PAY for a feature that most games have as the STANDARD.

Unless this is a FREE update, that also somehow fixes the still broken traffic and actually allows for decently sized cities, I will still not buy this game.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Cool, but too late.
I'd have bought it if it was like that at launch. As it is, I'm just not going to buy it either way. Especially considering they'll absolutely charge for this expansion, if it ever comes to be.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I actually bought and liked SimCity, even with it's flaws it's still a good game, and if it wasn't for the DRM controversy, lots of people would notice the same. If they'd implement such things, SC would go from good, to amazing. Can't wait.