SimCity Expansion Could Add Offline Mode

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
I wouldn't give any praise for this, Hackers and code breakers groups just finally revealed they have a working origin crack to make Simcity offline. This was revealed late last week. People can play Simcity 5 offline with a crack now, so what does EA do? Remove the DRM to try to get some good praise.

They aren't being good, they just know that keeping the DRM now that there is a crack that circumvents their servers and origin altogether there is no point of keeping it always online.'

Edit: I do not condone the use of cracks and I do not use them myself, I am just stating ideas about why EA might be doing this now.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
IMPOSSIBLE

Simcity has an intigral part that requires online servers.

What I just written above is utter bullshit and it is all about the DRM

And it still is EA.. they sill are not going to give you offline mode. What was it again oh yeah the game and servers we're derped.. oh well lets not fix that and those who paid for the game are fubbared.

It is still EA!

If I want to play Simcity I already have an option, it is called Simcity 4 Deluxe. If you can see past the graphics.. it is a much better game.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Cool. Give me Classic Mode preferably with the full map unlocked (I don't like the SimTown mini "cities"), and I will buy SimCity5 when the price for it plus this "Classic" expansion drops to below ?40.

I still like the look of the Glassbox engine, but SimCityOnline (barely online) is not a game I am at all interested in.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Yeah no. The game is broken to the core, and asking people to pay extra just to get basic options that should have been in the game in the first place?

Looks like EA will be 'Worst Company in America' for a few more years to come.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kargathia said:
Of course it won't change a thing about EA flaming being fashionable
It also won't change fairly legitimate criticism of the game and their handling of it.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Cognimancer said:
Expansion Could Add Offline Mode

A hypothetical SimCity expansion just might turn the game into everything fans wanted it to be.[/B]
They could, but they won't. Because of MONIES!

Of course, that was a joke. They won't because sim city is MMO.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
An expansion.

They're releasing an expansion pack, which they absolutely will charge for, which makes the game what it always should have been.

This is so laughably typical of EA. So glad to be completely done with that company and to have invested exactly zero dollars in this SimCity apocalypse.

I don't understand why people keep buying EA products then ***** themselves silly when they get screwed, again.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Oh my, they're willing to sacrifice their artistic vision? Shocking.

Jun 20, 2013
It is a shambles of a game. I am grateful that my friend took the bullet on this one over me. If they intend to sell this for profit, then I find it an outrage. Most of these features seem better suited for the initial release. I wasn't fool-hardy enough to buy into this bad joke when it released and I'm still not interested. If the expansion fixed this train-wreck's problems, then I'd only find myself forgiving if it was handed over to the current game-owners for free.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Considering that gamers are apparently responsible for EA getting named the worst company 2 years in a row, I might find it humorous if EA decides to slap them in the face with an xpac that "fixes" the "problems" people had with SimCity to begin with.
At this point I doubt they really care about looking good to the public anymore, they have Star Wars on lock, they still sell a lot of copies of their bigger franchises. And I'm sure they believe that the vocal wing of the gaming community is a very loud minority, hence the couldn't be paid to give a shit whether or not they're liked.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
CriticKitten said:
A-D. said:
Optimism. Ah, you poor, poor fellow. You have not yet seen the world with eyes as old to remember EA in all its terror.

In short, they will fucking charge for it. Honestly, by now, SimCity is The Sims, the same expansion-policy and all. Its actually funny, given all the nasty fallout from the release, the server failures etc, when you go to any store to buy that game, its still full price. Hell i've even seen sell them their DLC for a higher price than they would prolly cost online (and thats basicly graphics).

So yeah, you better believe that EA will try to squeeze as much money out of people as they can, for as long as they can. Aint like Sims 3 now costs 600+ bucks for basegame and all the other crap, on top of asking for more money so they can sell you crappy furniture online for like 5 dollar for a fucking couch.
Don't mistake my post for optimism. I don't have the faintest hope in EA's ability to "do the right thing". I've been around more than long enough to watch them destroy just about every franchise I've loved.

I'm simply stating that if, on the off-chance a brick fell from the sky and knocked some sense into their heads, they would at least merit props for doing something that was unambiguously correct for the first time in several years.
Ah, my bad. The first line was actually sarcasm, the rest was more general. Should've made that more clear.

But if a brick fell from the sky and knocked some sense into their heads, they'd be dead, because the brick would be the size of the moon. The only thing that will help EA is failing epicly and imploding and then picking up the pieces and restructuring itself to work in the new market.

As long as they hold onto their "old world view", nothing will change, even if you literally slap sense into every single last one of them.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
At very least they should allow handling the multiple cities of a region as districts of one big city so you get full sharing of money, power, water, etc. Currently you can't buy all surplus water output in one city with one other city, I guess because it wants to give every city a chance at buying water. Doesn't work so well if you're trying to have two cities cooperate tightly. So they should be handled like the islands in Anno, not completely different matches.

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
Kargathia said:
Of course it won't change a thing about EA flaming being fashionable, but if implemented this certainly would transform SimCity in a pretty good game.

The logical thing here would be to assume that maybe they'd even learn something from it as well, but honestly... I doubt it.
If it was called Sim Town I would be inclined to agree.But it isn't.It's called SimCity but this isn't SimCity, SimCity is about doing what you want not what you have too and If I want a metropolis New York type City well I'm S.O.L. aren't I.What I am saying is unless they make the cities bigger and the A.I. less mentally deficient this is in no way a Sim City game even less a good SimCity game.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Donzacuceron said:
Kargathia said:
Of course it won't change a thing about EA flaming being fashionable, but if implemented this certainly would transform SimCity in a pretty good game.

The logical thing here would be to assume that maybe they'd even learn something from it as well, but honestly... I doubt it.
If it was called Sim Town I would be inclined to agree.But it isn't.It's called SimCity but this isn't SimCity, SimCity is about doing what you want not what you have too and If I want a metropolis New York type City well I'm S.O.L. aren't I.What I am saying is unless they make the cities bigger and the A.I. less mentally deficient this is in no way a Sim City game even less a good SimCity game.
In case it escaped your attention: drastically expanding city size did feature in their survey.

Also, given it's a survey, and not an announcement, they don't need to mention them cleaning up AI. Unequivocal improvements like that (some would consider it bugfixing) aren't exactly something you need to poll your playerbase about.

That's of course not a guarantee it's actually happening, just that it'd be outside the scope of this topic.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
Traffic is still broken, RCI is still broken. Removing the login and increasing city limits are good ideas and should have been done from the start but now, its just not enough to make me re install.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Wait... Expansion? Not a patch? As in, they might/probably will charge for it?

No.. Just... No... Too little, too late, and it still comes off as a dick move to charge for something that can be implemented easily with a patch.