SimCity Offline-Mode Patch Won't Be Arriving "Any Time Soon"

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think an offline patch will fix this game anymore, people are starting to see the cracks in the design already :\

Devoneaux said:
What's interesting is that PoE doesn't have an offline mode either, yet nobody really complains about that.
People are willing to let you do a lot of things in a free-to-play game that you can't get away with in a $60 game.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
"We're being sold this lie that SimCity is 100% dependent on "online" for play, which is crap. After logging in (authenticating that you own the game), selecting a regional server and game to play (so it knows which "city" data to send you) and entering your city, you can disconnect your computer from the internet and play perfectly for 10 minutes.

At the 10 minute mark the game gives you an error about being offline, and closes. This is enforced in the game's code as, literally, an "always on DRM". Ironically, or coincidentally, your city with all changes that you made in this time will be synced to their servers the next time you are online (so it's basically saved offline anyway), and can then be resumed."

This is an extremely curious testimonial from a thread on Reddit. If it turns out to be true, then Maxis is going to have a lot to answer for. And them jumping in front of the bus for EA is stupid of them - they'll just get shafted alongside EA, not instead of. This has been a bizarre and depressing turn of events.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I find it somewhat amusing how many companies owned by EA have practices consumers despise, and all claim that it's their idea and not EA's.

I am sure it's a coincidence.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
NotSoNimble said:
Sidney Buit said:
NotSoNimble said:
EDIT: Before you troll me: Look at the companies that are currently being pirated the most... Square Enix, Bethesda, hell, even Valve games are more pirated than Diablo 3... lol
#1 pirated game: Crysis 2 (EA)
#2 pirated game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
#3 pirated game: Battlefield 3 (EA/Sega)
#4 pirated game: FIFA 12 (EA)
#5 pirated game: Portal 2 (Valve Corporation)

Would you like to rephrase your statement?

I suppose you could look at Diablo 3 specifically, but that's a niche game that only a tiny portion of gamers would even enjoy. I haven't even once been motivated to look at Diablo 3, and none of that has anything to do with it having online DRM.

Edit: The above list are PC piracy stats from 2011. Similar results are found on other platforms and other years.
Diablo 3 doesn't have the always online DRM? The games you listed do?

Eh?

EDIT: Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Farcry 3, and Skyrim are at (mostly) the top today lad. They don't have the DRM. Or am I wrong about that? I admit, I could be. I only hear about Diablo 3 and Sim City being the devil.

There are more sure, but even Minecraft is currently being pirated more then Diablo 3.... so is Assassins Creed Revelations.... REVELATIONS for damned sake!

Boarderlands 2, the Japan graphic novel where you try to score with cripples, a lot of games that were released well before Diablo 3. Left 4 Dead 2... Amnesia the Dark Descent, Batman Arkham city, COD MW2, CIV V, Total War Shogun 2, Mafia 2, ect ect

But NOOOOOOOO

It's always online DRM that makes people pirate.... lol

People don't pirate games made from good devs right?

Tell that to the thousands of people right now pirating The Witcher 2!

*giggles
Always online DRM clearly reduces piracy - at the expense of harassing paying customers. Those companies are making you pay for their problem.

More important, it is not clear if piracy even reduces revenue for the companies, because most pirates would not buy the game anyway. The extra cost with servers and maintenance (and free games and law suits and returns) might not be worth it.

On top of that, companies are losing their good will. Diablo 3 only sold its millions copies because of the name alone. I, for one, am not willing to ever pre order a game from Blizzard again, and gave buying the next Starcraft.

Atrocious DRM can hurt your business a lot and, most importantly, hurts the consumer - the game is not yours anymore and this is simply terrible.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
"Trust efforts"? What the hell does that mean? I hate corporate-speak...

It's all fluff anyway because, as the second tweet said, it's not possible so the offer to look into it is as hollow as the inside as Anne Coulter's head!

I really do feel sorry for those that paid for and want to enjoy the game - this sucks!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Poor EA. Even when Maxis officially states its their fault, a large chunk of the gaming community insists its still EA's doing.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
And so begins the process. Maxis has now been hung out to dry. Taking the fall. EA will drop the hammer on them soon. It was a long slow death Maxis. A damn shame really.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
When will EA and its susidiaries learn that trust is earned, not bought. You can give away free games all you want, the problem is you have spent a long time losing the trust of your customers because you never listened to us before. It's going to take more than a free game to win those people back.

Try learning from your mistakes and proving that you can deliver reliable, working products in the future and I may consider to stop boycotting your products.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If you're only holding on to your money until an offline mode for Simcity arrives- you're not doing enough. You should still hold on to your money until they promise offline modes for ALL of their future games.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm sorry, that's the wrong fucking answer.

No, really. This should be seen as the last straw, final, definitive proof that always on drm does not work in a satisfactory way, and never has worked. There should be no fucking question behind this. EA, maxis, whoever the fuck's fault it is, you fucked up, there is no way this can not be seen as a fuck up, you better fix it.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Well I guess I won't be buying the game at all then.

See you when you make the next game, with will have an offline mode - because after this disaster even EA isn't stupid enough to... ..wait... ..oh god they are aren't they... ..uhhhg.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
NotSoNimble said:
the Japan graphic novel where you try to score with cripples
That's fucked up man.

And it further proves how uniformed you are. It's a FREE game.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
NotSoNimble said:
the Japan graphic novel where you try to score with cripples
That game, Katawa Shoujo, can not, in any sense of the word, be pirated.

Because it was free.

Do you actually research anything before trying to use it for your argument, or...?

Besides, the only reason Diablo 3 is taking a long time to crack is because it needs to be 'cracked' like a standard MMO. Considering private servers exist for WoW and Runescape...It's only a matter of time before this DRM fails Diablo 3 as well.

OT: Sucks for Maxis. It's pretty clear that they're taking the fall by claiming that their DRM was done entirely of their own volition. This is, what, the third or fourth EA-owned studio to make such a claim seemingly at gunpoint?

Edit: Ninja'd. Damn.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Squilookle said:
If you're only holding on to your money until an offline mode for Simcity arrives- you're not doing enough. You should still hold on to your money until they promise offline modes for ALL of their future games.
I don't know, a sudden spike in sales after they allow people to play offline would send the most clear and concise message that EA would understand.